March 13th, 2008

Clintons’ standing damaged among blacks?

ALT TEXT
Click on the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say. Campaign rally for Hillary Clinton at a Dillard University chapel February 8, 2008 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Bill Clinton was once famously dubbed America's "first black president” and both Clintons have enjoyed tremendous popularity among African-Americans. That is, perhaps until now.

Last night, Hillary Clinton found herself apologizing to black voters. She said she was sorry for her husband's comments after the South Carolina primary, which Barack Obama won. At the time, Bill Clinton said Jesse Jackson had also won the state when he ran for president – a comment seen as belittling Barack Obama's victory. Hillary Clinton said she was sorry if anyone was offended and claims that's not how it was meant.

Clinton also responded to Geraldine Ferraro's remarks that Obama wouldn't have made it this far if he were white. Clinton said she repudiates and deeply regrets those comments, adding that Ferraro doesn't speak for her. Ferraro resigned last night from Clinton's campaign finance committee.

Apologies aren't something we're used to hearing out of Hillary Clinton's mouth. In fact, many have been disappointed that she's refused to apologize for her vote to authorize the war in Iraq. The closest Clinton has come is to say she regrets it.

Heartfelt or not, her apologies to African-Americans have become a political necessity. Consider that in a poll taken last October, black Democrats preferred Clinton to Obama by a margin of 57% to 33%. Fast forward five months. These days, Obama is winning as much as 80% to 90% of the black vote.

Here’s my question to you: How much damage has been done to the Clintons' standing in the African-American community by Bill Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro?
Interested to know which ones made it on air?

D. from Miami, Florida writes:
As an African-American, I believe that the harm is irreparable. I watched in shock and disbelief as Clinton responded, "Well I didn't say it" in response to Ferraro's ludicrous arguments. I never liked Hillary but I was willing to give her a pass based on the accomplishments of her husband. After his numerous meltdowns, her pass was quickly rescinded. Now her own (mis)judgments have left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I wince at the mere mention of her name.

Les from Oklahoma writes:
Jack, I really don't know how much damage they have done in the African-American community. But how come everyone assumes that all Obama supporters are African-American? I am an old white guy who thinks this young man is one of the brightest young people to come alone in quite some time. I hope we give him a chance.

Pat from Cincinnati, Ohio writes:
Gee, Jack, do you suppose the media lifting words out of context, playing them over and over, and hen asking a pejorative question might be the problem here? I judge people on their actions by looking at their history. This country knows the Clintons are not the least bit racist and I am ashamed that Sen. Obama is continually fanning the "racist" flames to further his candidacy. I suspect there will be a backlash because this country's memory is longer than you give it credit for.

Tom from Forest Hills, Pennsylvania writes:
Jack, If it is perceived that the nomination is stolen from Obama, the African-American vote as well as the newly-registered youth vote will be lost for a generation.

Bruce from Sugar Loaf, New York writes:
This is huge. All the trust the Clintons gained in the African-American community (in the 8 years Bill Clinton was president) has eroded in the span of just 2 months. The divisive campaign Billary has conducted is shameful, selfish, and very destructive to the Democratic Party. Race is still a very explosive issue in this nation and will continue to be for some time to come. You would think the Clintons would know better.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. marylee atlanta,ga

HRC is finished in the AA community. However,she is not a racist...AS FAR AS I KNOW!!!

March 13, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  2. Mike S., New Orleans, Louisiana

Both Bill Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro caused damage by being preceived as making racially insensitive remarks about African-Americans. It is unfortunate that we've become so politically correct that any discussion of race or ethnic voting trends leads to charges of racism if spoken by a caucasion. And frankly, the Obama campaign seems to enjoy crying foul.

March 13, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  3. Mimi in PA

It certainly should. A racist remark from a candidate's high-level surrogate - un-recanted - is highly damaging to everything African-Americans aspire to. To see it more clearly, let's reverse it: would it be damaging to ambitious young women if a Barack surrogate had said, "Hillary only got where she is because of Bill"? Uh... now, that I think about it.....

March 13, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  4. Annette Canada

The terrible damage done to the Clintons images has been done to the excessive coverage of negative comments about them.
    Whoopi Goldberg said today on The VIew, that Ms Ferraro was not being racist, but that the connotation resonated differently between Whites and Blacks and that everyone will have to learn how to speak in order not to offend.
    That is the real problem and Sen Obama and all his bloggers jump on the race factor every time whether the words were true or benign. The Obama bloggers when you read them are really much Meaner...
    White people will have to be a bit more careful and Black people will have to learn to grow a thicker skin.

March 13, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  5. Mark - Asheville, NC

Well, the media are doing their best to amplify and mischaracterize the remarks, so you tell me what the final, total damage will be, as you probably know how long this current witch hunt will go on.

Ferraro simply said what most everyone knows, but are too cowed by political correctness to say out loud: if Obama were white and had an Anglo Saxon name, he would not have been noticed in the same way, and would probably not be running for President this early in his career. He would be in the Senate, working towards a prez run, but it would be later on, after years of building up a resume.

And it is absolutely true that had Ferraro been a male, she would NOT have been picked for VP by Mondale, so let's get real, here. Ted Kennedy won his Senate seat only because his brother was President. And it goes on and on.

March 13, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  6. carol yarnall

I think Bill and Jerry should shut up and stop with the racial comments. Barack is smarter than the both of them put together and I hope he beats them hands down. We need a change and not a clinton change, For heaven sakes, she doesn't even know how to dress.
    Carol Yarnall

March 13, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  7. Nicki

Bill Clinton was a sore loser in South Carolina, but Ferraro's comments weren't racist. They were offensive to Obama because she insinuated that his only appeal was that he was a black candidate. I'm tired of this superficial stuff - I don't care that he's black or that Clinton is female. We should be grilling both candidates on the issues.

March 13, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  8. Bill Joyner

Geraldine Ferrao is where she is because she is white when she ran for vice- president.....Bill,VA.

March 13, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  9. Mark, Berwyn PA

Well, since I am white and not part of the AA community, my opinion doesn't hold water. But if the damage Bill and Gerry was caused to my community, it would be too much to repair within this generation. Let's be clear what they are doing: they have decided to spark up racial hatred among backwater, trailer trash, racist white voters (getting them out to vote against the "black man"), so they can attempt to win this nomination. Just look at how succesfull this strategy has been in those backwater states such as Miss., Bama, and Arkansas.
    And the Clinton are confident that the AA community, if Hillary wins the nomination, will come back strongly to her support, just because they assume the AA voter will vote for a DEM no matter what the situation is/was.
    Bascially, they are taking the black vote for granted, and do so in the most demeaning way imaginable. It is sickening to me, and I'm white!!!

March 13, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  10. Lee from Jacksonville, FL

I’m a Democrat. I used to believe that meant I was for inclusion, compassion, and opportunity and a better future for EVERYONE. When I see some of the rhetoric coming out of fellow Democrats mouths I have to wonder how our views on what the party means can be so different. The ugly demons of racism were unleashed with reckless disregard for the principles of the Democratic party. Geraldine Ferraro may look like a sweet old lady, but she took a series of swipes at Obama and wailed that that the mean man bloodied her knuckles when she punched him. Some people will look at them both and feel sorry for the little old lady; but I am a white woman over 50 and she does not fool me. She left Clinton’s campaign kicking, spitting and with fists still flying.

I would have been overjoyed to support a woman I can be proud of in this race. But I will not blindly vote based on chromosomes anymore that I will vote on race. Desperation and ambition have combined as Hillary and her campaign have made some horrifying decisions. The old politics of division and triangulation are nasty, stale, and oh-so-played out.

Jack, what’s happening may have been done for political expediency, but it will be terribly hard to “put the toothpaste back in the tube”. The media is all over the race story because it is exciting and controversial—read: good for ratings. You all are smart enough to know this is exacerbating the situation, but as with the Clinton campaign, it looks like media self-interest outweighs reason. Forget about our future if you can make some short-term gain.

Final point to the media: please stop saying these tactics will offend black Americans. Stop lumping us all into no-brain color-coded units. This offends rational Americans; this offends Americans who want to live together with liberty and justice for all.

March 13, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  11. JR Salazar

Jack:

This is going to add more fuel to Obama being sworn in as the Democratic candidate. I think the damage done is stronger than Hurricane Eliot wrecking New York with tales of sleazebag backdoor love affairs straight outta the Big Apple.

JR
    Long Beach, CA

March 13, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  12. ajks

I don't think the it is just damage to the Clintons' standing in the African-American community, but also to Americans as a whole. The comments made by Bill Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro show to all Americans that the Clintons will say and do anything that will put Hillary in power.

March 13, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  13. robert from nc

Jack, The Clintons have been acting like this for years...Just throw it out there and let the spin doctors go to work...Nothing sticks to them...It's crunch time...Throw out the baby with the bath water if necessary...

March 13, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  14. Les Young Oklahoma

Jack I really don't know how much damage they have done in the african-american community. But how come everyone asumes that all of Obama supporter are African-American. I am a old white guy who thinks this youngman is one of dthe brightest young people to come alone in quite some time. I hope we give him a chance.

March 13, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  15. Brian, Decatur, GA

I believe that the comments made by Bill Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro have done much to damage the standing of the Clinton campaign in the African American community. Hillary should have apologized for her husband's big mouth and Ferraro's ill advised comments right away instead of trying to dance around the issue. It is becoming increasingly obvious to anyone with half a brain that the Clinton camp is running scared and resorting to character assassination and name calling. Perhaps they are finally showing their true colors.

March 13, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  16. Ronald Kepics

Hi Jack:

None.

Ron K. San Diego

March 13, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  17. Linda

I don't feel that the Clintons standing will be hurt. I do feel that alot of people out there like to stir the pot. That would include black, white, media, campaign supporters etc., do all involved want to start a race problem? Just like the Black preacher that was on MSNBC today, threatening the white people and DNC party if Obama doesn't win the nomination, what is up with that, and how come statements like that just get pushed under the carpet, but other peoples statements get drug all over the media. Please check this out if you are not aware of his comments. Why can't we just vote on a candidate because they are qualified, be black or white, male or female? Maybe we as a country are still not ready or able to handle an election objectively that containes such variables as gender and race, so , so sad.

March 13, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  18. D. Williams; Miami, FL

As an African American, I believe that the harm is irreparable. I watched in shock and disbelief as Clinton responded, "Well I didn't say it" in response to Ferraro's ludicrous arguments.

March 13, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  19. Rose Saavedra

After Bill Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro’s comments regarding race and Hillary’s informal support towards John McCain, I find it very difficult for either Democrat to win the presidency. My advice to McCain is to take a long relaxing cruise while Hillary keeps working on his campaign.

Rose
    Puerto Rico

March 13, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  20. Kathy/Marietta, GA

As an African American I can say that the Clinton's standing with me began with Whitewater and continued until today. Their rating with me is lower than George Bush's IQ. I don't care how well he can play a sax or she can quote Dr. King.They continue to think that we are so dumb that they and their surrogates can say what they would like to win votes and when it does not go over well, they justify it with a half-hearted apology.

March 13, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  21. W B in Las Vegas

the Clintons could care less about any damage done to their standing with African-Americans as they will say or do ANYTHING to get the nomination.

Bill Clinton's comments after South Carolina and now the Ferraro controversy were both designed to make Barack Obama look like "he's only the Black candidate like Jesse Jackson" which I think unfortunately has worked with some whites. they figure the more they can focus on race, the better chance Hillary has in blue coller states like Pennsylvania.

and the Clinton's are SO arrogant that they figure that African-Americans will still vote Democrate in November no matter WHO the parties nominee is.

March 13, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  22. Bob of Leslie, MI

It means nothing. We are a society of creating a problem where there isn't any.

We have enough serious issues without creating absurb problems.

It is time to stop looking for excuses, grow up and fix our country!

March 13, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  23. Bruce from Sugar Loaf, NY

This is hugh. I believe the Clintons, with all the trust they have gained in the African-American community in the 8 years Bill Clinton has been president has, eroded in the span of just 2 months. The devisive campaign Billary has conducted is shameful, selfish, and very destructive to the democratic party. Race is still a very explosive issue in this nation and will continue to be for some time to come. You would think the Clintons would no better.

Sugar Loaf, NY

March 13, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  24. Lynx

Jack

What does it say about our country when so much attention is paid to Obamas Race but only the Black side. His mother was White
    I guess this is not a good media story.

Does it mean that because one parent is is Black the White parent doesn't matter? To the media?

It appears that the Clintons will do anything to win an election even to try and polarize the country. It is because they have this history of deceit and scandal and are again hiding documents, tax returns and the like that it is impossible for one on the fence to vote for her now.

Obaa didn't start the Race crap, Clinton did. Why don.t you clearly tell it like it is?

Lynx

March 13, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  25. LeeAnn - Lake City AR

I do not believe the comment have done any harm in regards to the November election. The blacks are voting for Obama – not on simply the basis of his stance on issues – my friend they are voting for him becasue of the color of his skin. Do not be fooled. If he does not get the nomination, blacks will back the democratic candidate – after all she has done more for blacks as a whole than Obama has.
    Hillary is not and has not ever acted herself as a racists. Black people no that but they will vote for Obama because he is black and thats ok – I cant hold it against them. On the other foot – dont hold it against white because they vote for Hillary. There is reverse racism in case you didnt know....

March 13, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  26. Richard - San Francisco Ca.

Yes, and sadly so,..

As a black man I have always respected the Clintons, however Hillary's style of do anything to win tactics which now include a "let's turn whites away from Obama, since we have lost the black vote" by twisting fear, and now the hatred of affirmative action to their favor, has permanently destroyed my image of not just Hillary but even Bill.

Most of all however what I am so disapointed in is their lack of foresight.
    They would throw land mines into the democratic contest against McCain which they may also have to traverse.

That cave man mentality should never be in White House again, as Bush has proven.

March 13, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  27. Brian From Fort Mill, S.C.

The term that comes to mind is "passive-aggressive". It's not Hillary herself, it's those idiots that support her.

The pattern is: someone (Bill or Geraldine, for instance) tries to minimize Obama's skills as a politician by reminding us that he is "just another black politician". Hillary then waits a few days, until things explode. Ferarro resigns, and Bill sleeps on the couch for another month. She loses even more black voters. She then apologizes.

Obama, on the other hand, reacts much quicker, thereby dousing the flame before it spreads. One of his people calls Hillary a monster, and she's out the next day, end of story. And he still gets to keep all of his voters.

March 13, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  28. Mark, VA

Clinton's standing against blacks is only affected by Obama being in the race. Maybe Ferraro didn't go about it in the right way, but this election has become about race every since South Carolina. Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, and Mississippi were all won by lop-sided black support for Obama. Hillary, at least in Texas, Ohio, and Mississippi, has won the white vote; some by 40+%. Obama does have a lot to worry about if both Florida and Michigan are brought back into play. Most of the big delegate States left do not favor him (less black population vs. whites), and the white vote is becoming more scarce for him. This could make things tight for him. So, yes Virginia there is a racial divide...

March 13, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  29. Stephanie

I find it quite interesting how the focus of these campaigns seem to so be surrounding race, instead of more important issues like homelessness or health care which needs to be seriously addressed. Their is no doubt that Senator Clinton and Senator Obama are two intelligent individuals who are both quite capable of being good Presidents. Why they are choosing to turn the election process into a three ring circus is beside me. If we want to speak about race lets us be accurate Senator Clinton is a white Female and Senator Obama is a interracial Man, not just a black man. I wish wish people would stop dwelling on half of Senator Obama's race and focus on both parts which is black and white. With that being said I think the media needs to stop buying into to these trivial race issues that these two campaigns are promoting and force these two senators to address real issues.

Stephanie

March 13, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  30. Hadley

Why should we have to do any recounting in Fl. Obama was represented by TV advertisments there see the following:
    Obama's campaign launched national television advertisements on CNN and MSNBC that are shown in Florida - a "blatant" violation of a pledge signed by all of the top Democratic candidates to not campaign in the state. Therefore the voting should count as stated.

March 13, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  31. Mark, VA

Clinton's standing among blacks is only affected by Obama being in the race. Maybe Ferraro didn't go about it in the right way, but this election has become about race every since South Carolina. Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, and Mississippi were all won by lop-sided black support for Obama. Hillary, at least in Texas, Ohio, and Mississippi, has won the white vote; some by 40+%. Obama does have a lot to worry about if both Florida and Michigan are brought back into play. Most of the big delegate States left do not favor him (less black population vs. whites), and the white vote is becoming more scarce for him. This could make things tight for him. So, yes Virginia there is a racial divide...

March 13, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  32. Kim

The damage that has been done by Hillary and her campaign cannot be easily repaired. I know because I have gone from being annoyed by the race laced comments from her campaign to down right having a grudge. And Jack, I keep a mean grudge. I hope I will have the strength to vote for her should she become the nominee.

March 13, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  33. Sandra Prescott, Grayson Louisiana

I am a young voter and I must say at the age of thirty I am already getting discusted with what our country is becoming. We have men and women some younger some older than I am over seas fighting for others freedome and rights of all gender and race. Yet many have never and will never make it back home to see their familys, some with children they have yet got to see and hold for the first time. What makes me so sick is the fact they work so hard so they can look forward to coming back to the United States yet back home some things are no better than they are over their. Here its becoming a racial thing. The only time race is an issue is when someone else isnt getting their way. Hollor race and its like an open invitation sayin you can now have anything your heart desires. Sad thing is we are letting this happen ! Everything doesnt have to be turned into a racial issue just so someone can get their way. I think we need to stand together and really think about whats good for our country so that we can stand tall and proud once again. As far as damage to Clintons race amaong the black voters i think Clinton still stands a good chance.

Sandra Prescott, Grayson Louisiana

March 13, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  34. Angeline - Silver spring, Maryland

Well Jack, If the trends are anything to go by, I don't even think that this question is necessary. It is clear as black & white to me.
    African Americans came from the toughest dilemma about who to vote for between these two, to voting 90%+ for Obama. Sadly, the damage was not only done once but several times. Initially African Americans didn't think that Barack was black enough, but look at their voting trends now. I'm sure they're now wondering.."Did we really once place our loyalties with the Clintons?"

March 13, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  35. Ron - Michigan

The Clinton campaign continues to "circle the wagons and shoot each other." Hillary and Bill criticize Obama for a "campaign of only words" while they continue to demonstrate their ignorance through actions, and negative words, that divide rather than unite us as one people. Bill or Hillary never faced a qualified black opponent until now and will not earn the popular vote on their own merit so they rely on "the politics of fear." The sympathy that Hillary received over Bill's white house escapades has been erased and her true character is shining through – win at all cost.

March 13, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  36. Thomas, The Netherlands

Hopefully just enough for her to lose.

Thomas
    The Netherlands

March 13, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  37. J.C. from Raleigh, NC

Jack,
    As far as Ferraro goes, she hasn't had much standing in any community for some time. She couldn't carry her own district in the 1984 presidential election.
    On the other hand, the Clintons, once lionized by the African-American community, are now viewed with uncertainty because of their patronizing attitude towards the first African-American with a great chance of winning the presidency.

March 13, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  38. D.J.Lauter

Hi
    I'm not black, but I imagine that the blacks are offended to think that the Clintons and Geraldine Ferraro dismiss all of Obamas wins on the fact that he is black. He won Ohio and Wyoming, which are predominately white, so his message must be getting through that he is capable of running the country. I hope nobody is voting because of race or gender, although Hillary is getting votes from women that want a woman as president, even though she is not a good choice. Hillary is getting some black votes, so is that because Bill is the first Black President?
    Ojai, California

March 13, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  39. Howard

Clintons standing in the community has been dropping since Former President Clinton spoke poorly about Senator Obama the Gerald Ferraro comment is just frosting on the Senator Clinton down grading the thoughts of the African American people .

March 13, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  40. Don from Canada

Jack as you said Bill Clinton was once known as America’s “first black president” , The actions or lack of actions for most Americans during their time in the Whitehouse, the recent actions towards the Obama campaign by belittling those states Oboma has won as not important topped off by the lack of any firm resolve by Hillary to denounce and remove Geraldine after her comments tells the real story. They only wanted the African-American vote to get to the whitehouse and history is trying to repeat itself again. Lets hope for the sake of all Americans those up next in Pennsylvania vote to show the Clinton campaign that the old style politics is over and it Is Time For A Change.

March 13, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  41. Daniel from Kansas

Jack,

Anyone with at least half of their brain intact can easily see through Hillary Clinton's tactics. She, or her surrogates, make racist comments in order to place a wedge between the races.... Then, once the damage has been done, she apologizes to try and repair the damage. In short, she is trying to manipulate both sides of the fence.

I think the damage has been done, and it will be a very long time before the African American community comes back to the Clintons.

March 13, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  42. Sharon from Michigan

Actually, I don't think the comments have hurt her campaign, as much as she has. She had the Black vote until people started to recognize Barack Obama's capabilities, message, and that he was an excellent candidate. Playing the race card, may have hurt her in some ways. His message of "Change" was something that most people felt was needed. He started with nothing, and has given her competition that she did not expect. He deserves to be in first place..

March 13, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  43. Ronnie Blakeney

My question is How much damage has been done in the "white" community by this series of racial divisive gaffs? I'm writing from Bern Switzerland

March 13, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  44. Ron

Jack,

As an American of African descent and a man, I take offense at what Bill Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro have said on this campaign trail. While the community has embraced the Clinton’s in the past, what gives them the right to think that they can say anything they want and we as a race will automatically follow them wherever they may lead? As for Ms. Ferraro remarks, when has it ever been lucky to be a black man in this country? I love this country and will fight for her until my last breaths, be we are relatively new to this proposition of equal rights. If the Americans of African descent want to support one of their own, what is wrong with that? I may not agree with all the positions of any candidate, but I will try to do what so many other races have done over the years and support one of my own and not tear him down!

March 13, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  45. Chris MA

...Not as much damage as they are doing to the chance of getting a Democrat in the White House. Get ready America for more war, higher gas prices,and more breaks for the rich. Brought to you by the same people who voted for Bush / Cheney ...

March 13, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  46. democrat in va

barak never had the black vote until hillary started bringing up race. it was caculated fear politics trying to scare the white vote to her side. the black vote should leave the democratic party period. the democrats cannot survive without the black vote.

March 13, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  47. LL chicago, IL

Although I am not an African American, I have to believe her standing has been damaged. There are high African American populations in the states that "don't count" (at least according to her) - and I am angry for them! She has flat out told this group that what they think doesn't matter and their vote doesn't count. But the votes of the people in Florida, Michigan and other states do matter? It's very terrible. Obama can win her supporters' votes in a general election but she will not be able to win his (i.e., the "latte sippers" like me). I also thought Ferraro's remark was rather ironic - Hillary herself would never be where she is today if she weren't married to Bill. In fact, she would not even be in the senate. She'd be just another attorney.

March 13, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  48. Dick, NH.

I thought all along that the democrats would run against George Bush and that the 2008 presidential race was theirs to lose. Well the Clinton machine has proven me to be right.
    If she wins the African Americans will stay home. If he wins the women will stay home. If I was him I`d break from the Democratic party and run as an independent. That will guarantee that Clinton will not win.
    I will now stay home either way. I`ll bite my tongue and wait four years, praying every day that McCain will not get a phone call at 3:00 AM or PM. His idea of stimulating the economy, spend more on the military. His idea of healthcare for everyone, draft everyone, they all will have healthcare. Four more years of Bush-God help us.

March 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  49. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    Unfortunately Hillary is surrounded by Idiots. She should have terminated Ferrero immediately, the fact that Ferrero resigned made it appear that Hillary sanctioned her comments. No excuse for her husband he has often let his mouth engage before his brain. She has had to apoligize too many times for racial comments made by others this will continue to hurt her with the minority vote.

March 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  50. Jed from Chico, CA

Her campaign has already been running on fumes with four flat tires. Hillary herself is not firing on all four cylinders and whomever is running her campaign must be asleep at the wheel. Geraldine Ferraro is just another unwelcome speedbump on her road to nowhere. She needs to pullover, get out of the car and stop what's going on or she's going to drive of the cliff, not just with African Americans (who may dislike but are regretably used to people saying stupid, senseless things) but with the American public at large.

March 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  51. Melanie, Lake Wales, FL

Honestly, I don't think there was that much damage done. They may have been disappointed by her actions, and people surrounding her, but I don't think there is so much. I just think African-Americans believe that, for once, a black man can actually win.

March 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  52. democrat in va

everyone is soft stepping about what she said. saying someone got where they are because they are black is certainly idiotic when it comes to presidental politics. it was rascist point blank if she said that about jews her and hillary would be shut down out of politics yesterday!!!!!

March 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  53. Mike Roy

You can't listen to Geraldine Ferraro and not think of someone who is jaded. She is doing exactly what Mrs. Clinton wants to her to do. Her comments were repeated a few times so the main stream media would pick it up. This was no mistake. It was meant to slam Obama on FauxNEWS. This is a news station where people have been making racial remarks against Obama from the start. Clinton would love to see her continue to be her bulldog with having to rein her in.
    Racist people are looking for any reason to not vote for Barack Obama. I just had a white southern preacher send me an email from an urban myth web-site that stated Obama is a Muslim. Racism is still very much alive in the United States.
    Hillary better watch out when she panders to racists. If a person thinks a black man cannot run this country because of his race then why would they think a woman could do it any better? I think she is trying to get Republicans to vote for her in the primaries. Republicans want it to be Hillary…They HATE Hillary.

March 13, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  54. Nuwan Samaranayake

I don't think these comments did much harm although media made a very big deal out of them. African Americans are simply rallying around Obama now more than ever, because he has a real chance of taking the highest office in this country. I call that pride and loyality for once own race. So Jack, you all need to stop spinning this and blame it on something else. Why can't you all simply accepts this trend that we all can clearly observe ?

Nuwan from Houston, Texas

March 13, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  55. Joel, Staunton, VA

Jack
    I am more confused now than I've ever been. Bill Clinton was elected to office solely because of the tremendous support from the African American community. I am very dissappointed in the way Hillary, her husband nad other surrogates have conducted themselves this election season.

I frankly believe that her comments represent another of her many political strategy. She has been very calculating and every move is a strategy to garner more votes. We have had enough.

I hope for the day when the healing of this country can begin.

March 13, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  56. AndyZ

Jack, I am afraid that the Black community has forgotten who was there to support them for the past three plus decades. It seems to be much more fashionable to support one of their own even if he has next to no experience. I find this moment in American politics fascinating. At the moment when the Democratic Party can regain greatness it chooses to implode. NeoCons are rolling on the floor laughing and we the people will be in Iraq for another one hundred years.

March 13, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  57. Jim

Hillary knows she cannot win the nomination. Therefore she has decided to poison the water so that no democrat will win in 08. Then in 2012 she will be back. She is making the case that John McCain is the best qualified candidate. As a lifelong republican, I say thank you Hillary.

Jim in Point Clear, AL

March 13, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  58. PK

Jack, Hillary has no standing. She's up to her evil tactics again. We can't fall for her sorry story of apologizing. She's to experience not to know what her husband meant. She's to experience not to know what Ferraro meant. She's to experience not to know how to play this evil game she's been playing and continues to play. She's to EXPERIENCED! She is willing to do anything to win the nomination even if it takes ruining Obama's chance of winning. If she can't win, Obama can't win. She would rather see McCain win.

March 13, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  59. Michael S in Vegas

I had an African-American roommate back in college, and he used to laughingly refer to folks like Bill Clinton, Gerry Ferraro and the rest of their patronizing crowd as GWBs – Great White Buddies.
    These champions of racial quotas and affirmative action now pat black people on the head just to remind them who they are and how they got there. How would anyone feel being ushered to the rear of the political bus because of their race?
    Red-neck racists are easier to spot and dismiss, but closet racists continue to have a much more corrosive effect upon our society's creeping maturation..

March 13, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  60. Harry

It has been interesting how surrogates of the Clinton campaign have been able to inject race into the discussion, while Sen. Clinton has attempted to maintain the high ground..

If these are not a deliberate Rovian tactics, then are we to expect her administration to be similarly disjointed.

Mixed messages in our foreign relations would be tragic.

If anyone is qualified to lead from day one, then their campaign should reflect that fact.

Harry
    Carlisle, Ky

March 13, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  61. Joan Compton

I hope, a lot of damage. God help the US. if a woman makes it to the White House. With the ramblings of Hiliary Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro, how anyone could vote for Clinton is beyond me. As a Canadian, I think Americans should wake up and vote for change. I am an Obama fan. If you don't want him in the US., would love to have him as our Prime Minister. Joan

March 13, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  62. Christian Chicago, IL

Jack, their comments have not done much damage in their standing in the African-American community. If some people have taken the comments the wrong way, I would hope that they would look at two things: 1. Those words did not come out of Hillary's mouth & 2. They should look at the mantra that many people live by: actions speak louder than words. They should take a look at all the work that Hillary has done for the benefit of the African-American community and realize that she is their ally.

March 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  63. CHARLOTTE

Jack, It is most unfortunate considering how much good the Clintons have done for African-Americans. If Obama were not black I have no doubt the African-Americans would have overwhelming voted for Hillary. They would rather have the real thing. I'm sorry but anyone black can win SC. A slip of the tongue is all this was, or merely the truth. I cannot see how anyone could call the Clintons racist. I even thought they went a little overboard in their efforts to help African-Americans. I feel an apology for the comment is more than enough.
    This race issue is a major distraction brought on by Obama himself.
    He palys this card when it benefits him, rebukes it when it doesn't. Very cleverly, I might add. Oprah never campaigned for Jessie Jackson, could it have made a difference?

March 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  64. Amy, Kalamazoo

Jack,

I think more important that the content of the comments is how she chooses to deal with the fallout and the proximity of the person saying the comments is to Clinton directly. What Bill said can be explained easier as being poorly worded or having no malice behind it, but it might have a bigger impact than someone who is further down the line like Ferraro. Although Ferraro's comments are stronger and are said at an even more critical time, it's easier for Clinton to write them off as Ferraro's words and only hers. Ultimately though, Clinton waited too long to respond and when she did, it was a mild rejection at best and is really making her look bad. I am reconsidering my support of her.

March 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  65. Tara Harrison

As a Black woman, I started, from the beginning, following this campaign with very high hopes and excitement–for the first time in my voting lifetime, I had a choice between two dynamic candidates and would not have to choose the 'lesser of two (or several) evils ". Although I tended to support Hilliary at the start, her campaign has really worn me out. Not only the comments from both Clintons but also, her determination to split the American voters with non-issues ,her ( and mine) party and her (and mine) country with her desire to win at any cost has made me see her in a totally different light. As for 'me and my house", our perception of Bill Clinton will forever remain tarnished.

March 13, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  66. Go Obama from NC

Jack, the damage is done; her cards are on the table. I am only speaking for me. I strongly feel her Husband comment was more damaging for her than Ferraro, to me. My reason for this is Bill is her sole mate, they suppose to be in harmony with each other, her thoughts, his thoughts, and they share thoughts. I can forgive Hillary for her Husband comments but I will not forget. I can even say to Ferraro, It’s not luck it’s being BLESSED.

March 13, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  67. Jerry

Jack here the meaning of the word " IS "

Apologize!

The heavens have opened,
    the clouds have parted and
    down came the ray of light, in the form
    of an apology, just before she was to get struck by lightning.

GO GIRL GO

Jerry
    Roselle, Illinois

March 13, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  68. Deb in MA

From my perspective as a black woman, None at all!

NO - all African Americans do NOT think alike. I am an AA and I have always been and still am a Hillary fan. And it makes me sick that my people are voting for Barack simply because he's black. (Yes, Geraldine was right about that, too!)

Regarding the Pelosi Dream Team remarks, it was a good idea one month ago when we all saw during the second (???) debate that their beliefs are so similar. It was one of the moderators who asked both of them this question FIRST at the end of the debate - NOT Hillary. I think Nancy is right at this point. Too many nasty comments have been traded back and forth since then.

Wake up, Black America! The point here is to elect the next President of the United States - NOT to elect a Black person or a female.

And regarding Hillary's remark about John McCain: She is right on that one, too, because Hillary and McCain are the ONLY people running for President that are qualified to do the job.

March 13, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  69. Chris T. in St. Louis

None!

The damages started when Pres. Clintons' comment about Obamas view on Iraq being a fairytail, were taken out of context and Obama supporters, with the help of the media, started spinning this into a comment about a fairytale campaign. Fast forward to S.C. and Sen. Clintons' assertion that Obama was lacking in experience and once again with the help of the media, this was spun into "codeword for racism".

How can anyone believe that race plays no part in this election when Pres. Clinton, once known as the first black President, now finds himself with high disapproval ratings amongst blacks? Could it be because his wife is running against a black candidate that is getting 90% of the black vote?

Yessir it's a colorblind society we're living in...............NOT!

I started out as a Richardson supporter, switched to Hillary when he dropped out and was fine with the idea of voting for either Clinton or Obama in the general election, but this has gotten so ugly that I think that I'll just skip this years Presidential election.

March 13, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  70. Don in Buda, TX

I think the Clinton campaign is right where the Clinton Machine wants it to be, dividing the Democratic party into a rift so that if she can't win no Democrat will win. Look at how united the party was 6 months ago when she was the front runner and look at the division now. One only needs to read your blog entries to see how sharp the division our once unified party has now developed. Clinton politics: let know one out alive.

March 13, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  71. Al Palmdale, California

Hillary and Bill should keep up the good work. Bash the black community for voting for a black candidate, and let our man McCain run against Obama. She has lost more support then she realizes, and the 'gravy train' she has had her eye on for so long is speeding away from her. I have not heard Obamas' camp saying that women are voting for Hillary because she is a woman. The public is sick of the petty name calling and inuendos, which McCain and Obama seem to understand so far. Hillary just dosen't have a clue, and it will caos her in the end.

March 13, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  72. Tiffani (Atlanta, GA)

"Shame on you Hillary Clinton!" Your kitchen sink antics have gone too far! Sure, Senator Clinton is opposed to Ferraro's statements, but not to the point of asking her to end her support. Strangely enough, she wanted Senator Obama to "reject" Louis Farakhan (who I abhor) but it took her almost three days to "repudiate" Ferraro's comments. New York politicians are having a hard time lately living up to their own standards.

March 13, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  73. Karl in CA

Hopefully it's the death blow. There is only one way to interpret Geraldine Ferraro's remarks that she made in February and repeated several times since without a peep out of the Clintons. The Clinton campaign has adopted an arrogance equal to that of the Bush's. It must be a DC thing after too many years of breathing the air or something. Hillary's apology, if you call it that, was too little and way too late to be sincere.

March 13, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  74. Dave Brooklyn, NY

I’d like to answer this question, but I’ve been crying so hard at the prospect of having four more years of Bush that my keyboard won’t work anymore because of the saltwater falling from my eyes.

March 13, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  75. Doug Pierson Tohatchi, NM

I am sorry but Ferraro's comment was raciest. It appears to me that Hillary has someone come out with something real negative then says, "It wasn't me." She sends her attack dogs on a mission and then claims no responsibility. I am not sure that what she gave was an apology either. When you say that "If it offended anyone" is not apologizing. It is not the same as "I'm sorry". And where is the apology to Mr. Obama if she is truly sorry.
    I noted on the CNN poll that the majority did not feel that Ferraro should apologize. Is racism becoming popular again? I am not even sure why the question has been asked. Her comment was so obviously raciest that not to acknowledge it is condoning it. It appears to me that peoples ethics and morals have gone out the window. Regardless of this being an election year the rhetoric needs to be lowered just a couple of notches. It becomes more and more obvious that Hillary intends to win "no matter at what cost". Is this attitude "Presidential" and indicative of a good Leader? The strategy is one of divide and conquer. Do we need still more divisiveness in our country?

March 13, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  76. Charles

Jack, I'm afraid history will have to sort this one out. Why did Hillary wait until last night to apologize? Does she have a motive for sucking up to black voters? Hillary should say I'm sorry to all democrats for allowing her husband's and Ferraro’s comments to distract her and Obama from getting their message out to America. Senator Obama bears blame for this mess with bad behavior from his supporters too. This continuous in-house fighting between the Democratic Party’s strongest contenders to date is sickening. The democrats as I see it either have six weeks to get back on track or six weeks until self destruction for both campaigns. Who is going to show true leadership and stop the madness? It remains to be seen.

Charles in Ft. Walton Beach, FL

March 13, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  77. David - Mississippi

It shows how two faced they are. The Clintons will do whatever it takes to get elected, same as all politicians. America might still have some ignorant people in it but the voters seem to be a little more informed than in the past.

March 13, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  78. Nora. South Texas

I think her apology came too late. She waited long enough for this to catch fire and now she apologizes, too little, too late. You would think our country would be above this and we could show our children that it is ok to be black, brown,white, we are all the same. Yes female too. I keep reading and hearing that the Clinton machine will resort to anything to win, guess they prove it once again.

March 13, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  79. Yvonne

These words coming from the mouth of a so called "non-racist" is what's shocking. If Ferraro was racist we would not be suprised. Just like hearing about Spitzer was a shock because he went against everything he stood for. "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." Alot of damage has been done and it's time for the Clintons to wake up and smell the coffee and support the front runner.

March 13, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  80. Raul from KY

As an African-American myself, I don't think that their standing among us have changed much. We understand that these comments are not a direct attack on our race, and there are very few presidents that can be regarded more sympathetic in the context of racial differences than our own Bill Clinton. The critical issue is whether it is ethically right to use the race strategy to alienate white voters from Obama, who has worked very hard to even avoid implying the existence of gender sensitivity in American politics, which in fact exists. This most of us consider a wrong thing to do, but this is only one out of the many other issues for which blacks have overwhelmingly voted for Obama. We give Obama credit for his political stands, not his skin color.

March 13, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  81. BobW Rochester, NY

Jack, you weren't paying attention. According to the Clinton campaign, everything must be going alright because the Obama campaign has been responsible for all of the racial tension in this race. Why would the African American community hold it against Hillary? Of course, they also believe they can win the party's nomination while losing the popular vote, the most states and the delegate race.

March 13, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  82. Dylan, Pennsylvania

Jack,

You really have given the Ferraro story legs. We all knew the race was going come down to white people voting for Clinton and African Americans voting for Obama. Does genders and ethnicity matter more than solutions and who's best equipped to lead our nation? Thanks in large part the media, yes it does.

March 13, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  83. Richard Sternagel

Jack,Geraldine Ferraro and Bill Clinton have both stuck their foot in their mouths with their racist remarks! Obama has tried to avoid this issue which is being brought up again by the Clinton campaign! Obama is a persona that transcends race! He is a uniter not a divider as Clinton is!

March 13, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  84. Dennis

When will the Media start reporting the truth, maybe they are just not allowed.
    There is Racism in this election, Obama is getting 91% of the Black vote.
    Need I say more ???

March 13, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  85. Kevin from Seattle

Lets not fool ourselves ladies and gentlemen, Hillary is on board with both Bill and Ferraro. Surrogates get their messages from the top. Hillary is the top dawg. Being an African-American, I was disgusted by Pres. Clintons comments in S.C. but I was able to forgive and forget but Ferraro's comments w/o an apology shows that this was not misstatement but good ole fashion negative politics. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. THIS DEMOCRAT WILL NOT VOTE FOR THE CLINTONS. Go Obama!!

March 13, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  86. Angie

Too little and too late. The honeymoon between the Clintons and the black community is over. I voted for Bill twice and I liked him a lot. I used to like Hillary until her campaign started the race baiting. There is a serious pattern within her campaign that has racial undertones. It started when Obama won Iowa and Hillary was suprised that she wasn't the nomination in Feb. It is a serious problem. I think it is to the advantage of the republicans.

March 13, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  87. Don

It is unfortunate that the first half black president that is running for president, It really shouldn't matter one way or the other but it does. I have heard racial comments every day since this election has begun. There are some people that no longer email me because of race, they know I dont care for their jokes. But its out there and we all know it and it wont go away as long as its a issue. It would be better to just get it on out in the open. I think Hillery will be better off without the black vote and it might wreck Obama's chances and thats a same.

March 13, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  88. Mary

The black community's support for Clinton has been hurt for 08 election and beyond. The problem is not so much what Clinton's "kitchen sink" and racial remark approach has done to her campaign going forward, but the silence by Howard Dean and the DNC on the issues will be felt by the Democrats for generation. Nice thing, Hillary doesn't give a damn about the Party – it's ALL about Hillary!

March 13, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  89. Ursula

Words said cannot be taken back. I think people of all races have witnessed the Clinton campaign for what it is.....and you just can't fool all of the people all of the time! It's very likely that the black community is not interested in being identified as a coalition at all. It's degrading to the individual spirit to be put into a neatly defined box. I think that's the reason people are driven to succeed; to feel a sense of pride, to stand out, and to hopefully enjoy a fulfilling life. People in America are looking for a little light on the horizon after many years of non-responsive and aggressive governing.

Here's a good one. Some folks are making a deliberate effort to purchase products made in America and are having a hard time finding them. A friend told me this week that it's easy to get fooled by the way things are labeled.

March 13, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  90. Jerome Gray

As a fourty two year old Black man I can say without any doubt the Clinton's will never have the support of the majority of Black People again. Yesterday was not Hillary Clinton's first time saying she was sorry for her husbands comments about Barack Obama. She said the same thing at Tavis Smiley's State Of The Black Union Form last month. What did she do after she said she was sorry ? She went on 60 minutes and pretened she didn't know what religion Barack Obama was. Then she said that John MCcain would be a better President then Barack Obama. Then she insulted all clear thinking people by suggesting that Barack Obama could be on the ticket with her as her V.P. This is after she lost eleven contest in a row. As a Black person I know that if Barack Obama lost eleven contest in a row, someone would have told him to get out of the race. Before the primaries started most Black People said if Barack was not in the race we would vote for Hillary Clinton. We see that the Clinton's are willing to step on any body that's gets in there way. They stepping on their biggest supports and it hurts. W

March 13, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  91. Tara McKinney, Texas

Turn out the lights. The party is over. Those two remarks sure came back to bite you in the ass didn't they Hillary. Next time try compassion and kindness instead of hatred and denial. Your true colors are showing and those of color have seen it. We reap what we sow Punkin.

March 13, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  92. dl

a lot.

March 13, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  93. Craig

Its Obamas fault. If he had just run a token race and allowed Hillary to assume her rightful place none of this would of happened.

March 13, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  94. Sandi from Grand Rapids, Michigan

Hillary Clinton didn’t just lose standing with blacks. She lost standing with DEMOCRATS!

When Hillary, and her old friend Ferraro, and Bill try to marginalize Barack Obama – when they act like the whole Obama campaign is some kind of fluke – THEY OFFEND THE MILLIONS OF US WHO SUPPORT HIM.

Barack Obama is really a class act for taking the high road through all this. He's going to be a great president!

March 13, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  95. Vi

Jack: Yes, she has used 'race' as a factor in the campaign. She uses it in the 'back-handed' way – as only Hillary can do. I also wonder why – when Hillary loses a state – eg. Mississippi – she never offers 'congratuations' to Obama ( she had Maggie Willaims write a note to him) nor does she thank the voters who voted for her It is very difficult for Hillary to admit any type of 'defeat'. She just 'disses' the smaller states. When she won Ohio – she was all over the people thanking them BIGTIME. So much for the 'smaller states' and she says she is going to represent ALL people.!!! According to her – there are not 52 states that count – only the BIG ones.
    Hillary has no ladylike grace and certainly no apprehension of good manners.

March 13, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  96. Bob, Honolulu

The damage is extensive not only in this country but globally. There's no question that this is a result of the Clinton's Kitchen Sink strategy. Senator Clinton hasn't been able to win on the basis of honest debate, issues, and true change. Throwing the Kitchen Sink at Obama is inviting a global Bathtub in response. Note to self...Duck!

March 13, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  97. Kevin- Webster, MA

The Clintons are starting to Peeeee everyone off . Black or White dosen't matter. Their tactics keep changing and just when you think Hillary is on to something positive the campaign takes a nose dive. She should fire all the advisors and go it alone. She not only would stay more positive, she would save abundle on donuts.

March 13, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  98. Jerome Gray

As a fourty two year old Black man I can say without any doubt the Clinton's will never have the support of the majority of Black People again. Yesterday was not Hillary Clinton's first time saying she was sorry for her husbands comments about Barack Obama. She said the same thing at Tavis Smiley's State Of The Black Union Form last month. What did she do after she said she was sorry ? She went on 60 minutes and pretened she didn't know what religion Barack Obama was. Then she said that John MCcain would be a better President then Barack Obama. Then she insulted all clear thinking people by suggesting that Barack Obama could be on the ticket with her as her V.P. This is after she lost eleven contest in a row. I know that if Barack Obama lost eleven contest in a row, someone would have told him to get out of the race, for the sake of the party. (Before) the primaries started most Black People said if Barack Obama was not in the race, we would vote for Hillary Clinton. We see that the Clinton's are willing to step on any body that's gets in there way. What hurts most is we see a double standard being played out on Black People. The Clinton's are telling Black People you can support us but we can't support you.

March 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  99. CeeCee

African American community? Hillary's campaign is an equal opportunity insult. I was irritated by Clinton's hestitant reply to the 60 Minutes reporter who asked about Obama's religion. I was upset that she'd made a self serving push to have the rule breaking delegates from Michigan and Florida seated. I was livid that she praised John McCain and trashed Obama in the same soundbite. By the time the Ferraro doodah came around, I decided to send a donation to Obama.

Lawrence, KS

March 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  100. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Hey, Media guy, don't blame Bill and Geri for the damage done to HRC. She done herself in already. Bicker bicker bicker pick pick gnaw gnaw whine whine whine cry. The black population have found themselves a true leader despite HRC's controlled bombing campaign.

My one hope is that Obama is accepted by us white old men as a true leader also.

March 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  101. Laurietta

Jack,

There is strength in UNITY which is something the democratic party has forgotten in the last few months. If we want to make change it must began with everyone focusing on the end result. The end result is we want a President that is not by the name of John McCain. By the way Hillary nor Obama has this wealth of experience that they are bringing to the table, however they both have policies that they believe in for the good of the country. By the way it was ok when Hillary was receiving the AA vote until Obama won them over. I'm glad God does not see color because we would all be in trouble.

Laurietta, Florida

March 13, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  102. Carol, MA

I think that Clinton's campaign made a calculated attack on the African American community to get whites to vote for them in PA. They will be resort to a different strategy in NC.

But, like Sen. Clinton said a few times, well, hinted actually ... If you are a pledged delegate you can still change your vote during the convention. So ... maybe if I were her pledged delegate, and I am not as far as you know, I will change my vote during the convention because I am pretty much disillusioned by the person that I voted for in the primary.

I liked it when she took the high road and seems to have solutions but after a month of playing in the mud, she is looking more and more like a pig. I guess when she said that she is a fighter, she meant it. GWB is also a fighter who will not listen to people who disagreed with him.... instead he vetoed them!

I am afraid that we will have another GWB if she gets to be in the white house. Forget the 3am call, what will she do during the daytime? All these fighting in her campaign hq and fighting with her opponent and fighting with the US of A about whether their state matters.

Her attitute that states that she did not win is not important is laughable. Out of the 50 states she believes that only 5 states (California, Ohio, Texas (which she did not get), Michigan and Florida) really matters? Who is delusional now?

March 13, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  103. Anna

Bill's comment was probably more damaging than Ferraro's because it was earlier in the race. When you think of it. We should not be suprised that there are still traces of strong racisim in America. It was only less than 50 years ago that "Whites Only & Coloreds Only" signs were up. The hearts of Americans are being stirred up and rightly so. I hope Hillary doesn't fight to get the "Men Only & Ladies Only" signs removed.

March 13, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  104. Greg from Mechanicsburg, PA

As my mother used to tell me, the proof is in the pudding. The bitter pudding that Hillary and her campaign have made should be ample proof to African Americans as well as men and women of all color that she is willing to slander, fabricate, lie, cheat and ruin the chance for any Democrat to win the White House, just to gain the nomination this June. She is doing the work of McCain and I am sick of it!

March 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  105. Jim ( Independent )

I will put it this way , the Ferraro thing was the final straw for my family of ( 5 ) voters. We have all 5 switched from Clinton to OBAMA and we are white people.

When i look at Obama i don't see a black man or a white man , i see an AMERICAN , and a very GOOD American at that.

The Clinton brand has always been tainted with scandal and a win at all cost ,power hungry trait.

Hillary Clinton is not A GOOD PERSON.

March 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  106. Amy in Woodstock, NY

Damage? Not nearly enough. Isn't Maggie Williams, her campaign manager, Black? She still supports Hillary right?

African-Americans do not share one brain. They are a monogamous group just like others. Those Blacks who can see through the race-baiting are intelligent enough to denounce and not support Hillary and her campaign for it. She has damaged her standing with that portion of the community.

Yet for those African-Americans who are uneducated, or who don't research the candidates, and/or are supporting Hillary simply because they love Bill and the nostalgia of good old days. This portion of the community is still supporting Hillary. And that is their choice.

But we can't paint all African-Americans with the same wide brush. There are far too many Blacks who still blindly support Hillary even when the facts against Hillary are right in their face.

I am just happy that many Americans, whether they are Black. White, Latino or Asian, are standing together to not support such divisive tactics being strategically thrown out ...and later apologized for by the Clinton campaign..

March 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  107. Tim in Fort Hood Texas

Jack, Hillary is showing her true colors here. She has her cronies, Bill and Geraldine do her dirty work, then denounces and rejects them making it look like shes taking the high road. Shes a piece of work. Shes going down in flames, and by God, she's taking Obama and the Democratic party with her. I can not believe it is coming to this. She can limit the damage done to the party by bowing out after she fails to win a landslide in Pa. but she has too much pride to do so, its a shame.

March 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  108. L.M.,Arizona

Not enough damage that any republican can get more then 10% of the black vote and in North Carolina,South Carolina,Georgia, Alabama,Mississippi,Tennessee,Kentucky,Wyoming,Idaho,and etc. no democrat has a chance to win no matter what the black vote does.

March 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  109. Phyllis E. Tucker

The comments made from both may have been damaging, but they were true. It seems Obama takes offense at any negative comment and uses his race to call foul. If he truly intends to be the Democratic nominee, he better start growing a thicker skin because this is nothing compared to what the Republicans will throw at him. We the public are not being allowed to see what he is really made of because he is so well protected by his race.

March 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  110. George Wolff

After Ms. Ferraro's failed vice presidential bid, I put the very same issue to her that she raised with Obama. As a reporter at the time, I asked if being a woman gave her any kind of advantage (it was at a large women's luncheon in Toronto). She spluttered in shock and the room rose in outrage. Impossible she said with barely restrained anger. Being a woman in politics was a terrible handicap, no question about it. I doubt she remembers but I do and I'm struck by her hypocritical outrage when she raises the very same point. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Such missteps don't help her or Hillary.

March 13, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  111. Amy Kathleen

I think the Clinton's standing in the African American, or any minority community, is less affected by the comments of her husband and chief advisor on matters of race, and more by her own actions. Hillary has repeatedly discounted the voters of entire states as unimportant and insignificant, placing value instead on less than 25% of the country. That would make anyone worried about what life would be like for those of us who live in the other 3/4 of the country she willfully ignores.

March 13, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  112. Greg Cole in Leavenworth, Kansas

The real question should be "how much damage has been done to America's racial tensions due to Ferraro's comment."

Ferraro didn't accuse Obama of being racist, she accused America of being racists and sexists by voting along racial and gender lines. She accused Obama of being ill-suited to be our next President.

Jack, wasn't America founded as a democracy where qualified voters are allowed to vote for any candidate regardless of race, gender, or capabilities? The reason each of us votes for a particular candidate should be irrelevant to the rest of America but hopefully each of us will vote for the most capable candidate.

All Americans are allowed to speak their opinions but shame on Ferraro for mincing her words and making a racist, gender-biased comment. If she believes that Obama is ill-prepared to be our next President then she should simply say so but don't tie opinionated comments to race and gender.

Greg
    Leavenworth, Kansas

March 13, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  113. Gloria in Texas

More damage among blacks has been done by Obama's campaign against Hillary. I was at the caucas in N. Texas and I can tell you it was not pretty and there is plenty of fallout from it among the N. Texas Democratic.

Hey Jack, why doesn't CNN show the fact check by ABC news on Obama's pastor, it is quite enlightening.

March 13, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  114. Rick/Marysville, WA

The damage done by Bill Clinton, Geraldine Ferraro, her other minions and Senator Clinton's own self created "bubble" of arrogance wherein she seems to envision herself as the only person who can lead this country is tremendous. People are tired of having to pick the lesser of two evils in a national election. They have finally realized that the lesser of two evils is always evil.

March 13, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  115. Ram

Everybody knows that Barrack is charismatic & has the qualities to be the President. Why not admit it . The double edged sword that Hillary & Bill are brandishing is not going to work. They have done a serious damage to their own campaign. They are desperate.

March 13, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  116. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

Yes and no to be honest. There are those that were on the fence when it came to whom to vote for, and they moved away from Sen Clinton. But there are those that can look beyond it all and voted for her any way.
    But there are also those that were enraged by the implication that Obama's successes were not due to his personality, or his hard work, or his deisre to change the way our government works and to lead us into a new direction and future; but only due to the fact that he was black (actually mixed race). What was said may not have been intended the way it was taken or sounded; however, the simple fact is that it was implied or perceived that way. My mother taught me a long time ago that "when speaking in public, think first about what you are going to say, and if you cant say any thing good or you cant say it right, then say nothing at all'. Some times it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be misimformed then to open your mouth and come off as being uneducated, misinformed and simply stupid.

March 13, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  117. Robert, Columbia, MO

It almost certainly will damage her standing with the AA community. But it is not because she is a racist or made racist remarks, not even because her surrogates have done so. It is because she is using race as a tactic, because she is willing to let remarks and employees stay out there just a little too long, that this is damaging. How much? Hard to say.

March 13, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  118. Charlotte - St Paul, MN

I am not black, but this has irrevocably changed my perception of the Clintons. Anyone who has ever been marginalized or condescended to because of race, gender, or any other intristic trait should be furious at this cruel and unnecessary attack.

Furthermore, the fact that her campaign did not immediately distance herself from Ferarro suggets to me that either she didn't think propagating hateful, racist speech would offend people – or she knew that it would hurt some people, but didn't think it would be enough to justify an apology. If the latter is true, it suggests that she sees the marginalizing of an entire race as "collateral damage" in her no-holds-barred fight for the nomination. That is not something easily forgotten.

March 13, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  119. IFEANYI AZUBIKE Houston, Texas

Jack, I can almost vouch that the Clintons are not racist but that reason has given way to desperation. For a clan that is so averse to losing, I am certain they are pretty much cracked up at the moment. Let's say that all the negative comments on Blacks is a kitchen sink strategy gone terribly wrong. I believe that all the negative comments have made winning this primary more difficult for Clinton than getting on the Cafferty Blog.

March 13, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  120. Scott

Having listen to Ferraro's statement about Obama, I have to agree with what she has to say about him and I feel she should hold her ground and not apologize in this case.

I got a chuckle how fast Hillary pulled a McCain when she started apologizing left and right to any one that would listen to her. I just wonder if Hillary's actions have now alienated her friendship with Ferraro?

March 13, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  121. Rev. Edward Loggins III

Most black people are voting for Obama because he's a black. No matter how many people say the campaign should be about the issues, the issue is race versus gender. If issues were important people would vote accordingly. The truth of the matter is Obama has played this card from South Carolina on and any person of color voting or caucusing for Hillary is seen as a "traitor." I agree with what Geraldine Ferraro said. The problem is no one in the media is willing to be honest and see this situation for what it is. African Americans who are voting for Hillary are voting for the person they believe is the person who can lead this country and someone one who really understands what it is going to take to defeat the Republican machine!!!!! Voters need to listen to the issues that are being discussed and look at the candidate who can put America back on its feet. Oh, by the way, I am African American and I and my wife have chosen to back Senator Clinton.

Waterloo, Iowa

March 13, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  122. Charles Reynolds

As an african american male I was told that I was lucky to graduate from high school. I was then told I was lucky to graduate from a very good university. Lucky to climb the corporate ladder into a senior position. Along the way I never felt lucky.... Hillary has allowed Bill and most recently Gerry F. to perpetuate this theme of luck and minimized our role in american politics. Life and politics are about choices. Hillary has challeged the african american to make a choice between her sense of entiltement and the african americans sense of hope and vision.

March 13, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  123. Lisa

Hill and Bill are hurting the Democratic Party. Hillary needs to fade away before the party ends up giving away the whole . When is Hillary gonna catch on?..the Republicans vote for her because they know McCain can beat her but not Obama. C'mon Hil take one for the team and drop out, Half the Democrats don't want you as President and ALL the Republicans sure don't, Thats not being Electable.

March 13, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  124. Cindy, San Diego, CA

Wrong question Jack,
    Barrack Obama is just as culpable in injecting race into the campaign. He knows that being black gives him an edge among African-Americans and will use any criticism against him to his advantage. So the question should be, "Why is Barrack Obama getting away with the race debate when he in fact uses race as a wedge to divide the Democrats?" Because he's just another typical politician, that's why.

March 13, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  125. Jerry, Fayetteville Tennessee

Hillary's not worried about her standing among blacks...yet. Her focus now is to get the nomination by whatever means it takes. She'll worry her standing among blacks if she's successful in gathering enough white votes to somehow get the nomination by playing to their resentments – then she'll send Bill out to kiss and make up with the black community.

March 13, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  126. Patricia

Frankly Jack, I think that Hillary Clinton's candidacy is damaged beyond repair. She should bow-out & if I were her I'd call John Edwards & ask him to re-enter the race & then give him her delegates. John Edwards can debate the issues fairly & he could win the Presidency.
    Patricia
    Palmdale, Ca.

March 13, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  127. Mac, FL

This again???

I think the "race" thing has hurt Hillary terribly because Obama, his campaign, his supporters, and the media have all blown comments that were made way out of proportion. All of these parties have come together to divide this country racially. Hillary did not. It is shameful what has occurred.

We should all be listening to what the candidates stand for, what they plan to do, and HOW they plan to do it. That should be the basis by which we choose. If Obama were a not a mixed race man, he would still be inexperienced – the color of his skin can't change that.

Jack, the question really needs to be: If Obama were not a mixed race man, how many in the AA community would be supporting him?

March 13, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  128. Mary F. Cox

If someone in Senator Obama's campaign or even he himself had said that Senator Clinton is where she is because she is a woman, once a first lady (co-president if you will), and Mrs. Bill Clinton, NOW and every feminist group and others would be crying foul (especially Ms. Ferraro). I find what Ms. Ferraro said and her arrogance appalling. I especially am surprised that no one in the media has put forth her threat to Senator Obama withholding fund raising for him, should he win the nomination, for questioning her comments. Is Ms. Ferraro that powerful in the Democratic party that she can get away with this type of threat? If that is the case, the Democratic Party is in deep, deep trouble and should rethink who they put in the fore front to represent them.

March 13, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  129. Gina Racine, Wisconsin

What do you mean, what Bill and Geraldine did?

What about Hillary?

Why isn't she called on this also. This is all CONDONED by her. It is her campaign....she was questioned repeadidly on comments by Bill and Ferarro. They are not doing anything that she does not agree with.

Not only have the Clinton's hurt their relationship with the African American community. They have also brought a deep divide in America.

Hillary is some "Uniter" isn't she?

She can't even bring her campain together. They fight and scream at each other constantly.

She did accomplish one thing in her campaign though.....because if she is the Nominee....I will be voting for her friend John McCain.

March 13, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  130. Bob from Traverse city Michigan

We cannot ignore the fact that Barack Obama is black. he is black. We cannot label everybody that mentions the fact out loud a racist. There has been no discussion about what Mrs Ferrarro said, just the fact that she said it. There could be some truth to her point that Mr. Obamas race has helped him in his campaign or her point could be moronic and deserve to be exposed as moronic. I believe these insensitive comments about Mr Obamas race are hurting Senator Clintons standing in the black community but I also believe the black community is hurting itself and the press is perpetrating an injustice when either start screaming racist instead of engaging moronic statements with intelligent debate.

March 13, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  131. Frederick from Dallas

Jack,
    It is true most African Americans where troubled with the Clintons statements during this campaign. It would hurt Bill short term. Bill Clinton got ticked off with Obama comparing his achievements to Nixon in SC….But Hillary Clinton losing the black vote has nothing to do with Bill Clinton’s comments. It has everything to do with the fact that African Americans did not feel Obama had a chance until he won Iowa with less than 2% blacks. The first two states with Obama’s name on the ballot had less that 2% blacks. So by the time we got to SC with his name on the ballot, it became clear to Blacks that if he wins the white votes in mainly white majority states, then he is a winner. He took SC with 78% of the black vote. After SC he got to 85 plus percent in all the other states. So jack, it has little to do with Bill Clinton’s comments but with the fact that Obama showed he could beat Hillary even in the white vote.

March 13, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  132. Ralph Taliercio - Long Island, NY

Simply irreparable. Their calculated statements fall just short of outright racism and division (well except for Ferraro). If Bill Ricardson was her opponent now instead of Obama your question would have been about the damage to the latin community.

March 13, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  133. John from Washington DC

It is beyond me why the Clintons and Ferrarro have injected any kind of race matter into the campaign and illustrates their insensitivity and lack of understanding on how to carry out an appropriate and civil campaign. By bringing up the such things who was really responsible for passing civil rights legislation and Jesse Jackson winning the 1988 SC primary, race become an issue and has now come back to haunt the Clinton campaign. By sticking to the real issues affecting our country and the world, Obama has demonstrated how a campaign should really be conducted and focusing on what really matters to Americans-issues like jobs, health care, ending the Iraq war, housing crises etc.

March 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  134. Andy

Much of the "race" issue that has arisen is due to Sen. Obama's campaign "crying wolf" over "apparent" racism that appears to be more twisted interpretation than fact. Perhaps I'm cynical to suggest that his campaign has recognized that 4 out of 5 African Americans have been voting for Obama (whereas non-African Americans show far less skewed trends in their support for either Obama or Clinton). This tactic seems to work in his favor to maintain/grow an African American base and suggests that to African American that all that stands in the way of the first President of African ancestry is the Clintons. Clinton gains nothing in spurning voters she'll need in a general election.

March 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  135. sharon

i think the real damage is to the democratic party. I don't think Hillary will get the black vote and Obama will get the white/white women vote. I think the Clintons thought this nomination was going to be handed to them on a silver platter because they are the CLINTONS and when they realized they were going to have to actually earn it they brought in the race card the media being unfair to them card. I now believe Hillary would rather have Mccain win the election than have Obama win the primary. I think Democrats everywhere should be outraged! I thought this was the kind of stuff the republicans would stoop to not the democrats. By the way Hillarys people are showing up on Fox noise speaking with Sean Hannity and that really freaks me out! If the democrats lose this election I think we have the Clintons to thank. Its too bad this primary could not be decided on the actual policies, vision, and hopes of each candidate.

March 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  136. Josie, Phila, Pa

Jack,

As a democrat and as an African American female I find all of this heartbreaking to say the least. I refuse to believe that Bill & Hillary Clinton are racists. A lot of this dialogue has been hyped up by the media. I believe Ms. Ferraro had a point about Sen. Obama years in the U.S. Senate but once she injected race the point was lost. Hillary needs to stand firm and tell her surrogates and her husband that they must watch what they say because it over shadows her overall message. The whole situation is sad and we need to get this somehow!

March 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  137. Kellie, Philadelphia

African-Americans have been accused of voting for Obama simply because of his race but that isn't an accurate assessment of what has occurred. If Blacks voted for presidential candidates solely on color, than we would have supported Al Sharpton in 2004, Carol Mosley Braun in 2004, and Alan Keyes in 2000 to the same degree. Obama's caliber and candidacy are distinct and profound. Both blacks and whites have observed his unique ability to unify people.

This campaign has served to question the status quo of race and politics in our country. Due to the atrocities in our country's history, black politicians were innately black leaders charged with a black cause. However, the time has changed and many blacks and whites have evolved in their thinking whereas regardless of ethnicity or gender, an American can work toward the best interest of the country as a whole for all Americans. There is a sense of pride in America and within the black community that an African-American can potentially unify all people . That is a quality necessary for the next president of this great country.The other side that is rarely explored is Obama's white heritage and the beauty that a bi-racial man has sought to unify all groups by establishing a vision and policies to do so. I'm proud of our country and its ability for people of all colors to see that.

March 13, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  138. Dyan

You asked: Clintons’ standing damaged among blacks?

The short answer is 'yes'.

Dyan
    Maplewood, Minnesota

March 13, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  139. Tyrone,Jupiter,Florida

Black America has turned its' back on the Clintons.Period.

March 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  140. Mary

Wake up and smell the coffee, Jack. The blacks have a black guy to vote for. That is why they are not voting for Hillary. It has nothing to do with the Clintons.

Mary in Florida(where the votes never seem to count! I also saw ads on TV for Barack right before the election. If that is not campaigning, what is, I wonder???????)

March 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  141. Thomas , Michigan

A lot. The Clintons' devisive tactics are deservedly bitin' em you-know-
    where. Thomas, Michigan

March 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  142. Natalie NJ

I can't speak for the Black community but it has completely truned me off and angered me as an older white woman. I felt so proud for boith Hillary and Obama and their accomplishments. The race started off on such a high positive note and once Hillary felt Obama was gaining ground she came out with the "kitchen-sink" approach and that has destroyed the dignity of this race!

The American people,not only the Blacks, can see right thru this " good cop-bad cop" play.!

The past few weeks Hillary actually scares me with her mood swings and her devisive tactics! Obama shows composure and calmness that is needed in moments of crisis. Mc Cain will do as well, I just worry about his so called temper, but Hillary's mood swings are not perisidential in the least.
    Ferraro doesn't even deserve to get a comment from me, she is outright targeting the older white women of Pa. and she is loving this press coverage!! !! SHe may get Hillary the white female vote in Pa but this will cost the Democrats in the end in a huge way!
    It's just so sad to watch all this goodness go right down the tubes and take our nation back in time instead of moving forward.

March 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  143. Izzie, BR

Clinton's standing among African AMERICANS is damaged but can be repaired if she renounces and rejects what Ferraro said. Hillary messed up by getting off of the issues and getting dirty.

March 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  144. Ann

I'm a white 62 year old woman that was born and raised in Mississippi. There are racist that the Clinton's and their group are pandering to and there are the "I'm not a racist group" that support the AA causes as long as they do not surpass them in position or stature. The Clinton's are part of the "I'm not a racist group."

There are many things that I would like to forget about my up bringing in Mississippi. One of the things I would like to forget is the treatment my mother received from neighbors and townsmen because she did not make the housekeeper ride in the back seat when she picked her up and returned her to the bus stop. My mother believed that the true essence and character of a person was what was inside the person and had no relationship to the physical external.

I don't vote based on religion, race or gender. I vote on the character of the person the essence of who they are as a human being. I'm a woman that won't vote for Hillary Clinton and it has nothing to do with gender or experience. It has everything to do with the fact that she is disingenuous and her external is far more appealing that her interior qualities and character.

March 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  145. Lyn-Woodbridge, NJ

I do not believe so. Hillary is not a racist nor is Bill. The AA community just want to elect a black president. Thus the choice is a Black President first and then Hillary or Bill. Bill, Geraldine are just being used by the AA community to show why they are votong a certrn way.
    Note John Edwards did not get the black vote in SC which show what I am saying is right. Jonhn Edward only got 1% of the black vote. Previously John E. got alot higher.

Lyn-NJ

March 13, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  146. Emily

She'd definately eating humble pie now. I believe the people you closely surround yourself with reflect the true you. She's going to have a harder time separating from numerous racially fueled slights at Obama and the black community than simply saying sorry, they don't speak for me. How about rejecting AND denouncing Hillary? If both her husband and a close advisor can so flippantly insult, it makes ME wonder how she is when the cameras aren't on.

March 13, 2008 at 3:36 pm |