February 28th, 2008

Full disclosure from Clinton?

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

There's a lot of information voters still don't have about Hillary Clinton, including the White House records from when she was first lady along with her tax returns.

When asked at this week's debate about the White House records, Clinton said she would "absolutely" release the documents to show the public what she did and who she met with over the course of those 8 years. She said she's quote "urged the process be as quick as possible."

Well, the Bush administration now says it's actually the Clintons who have been holding up the release of those records. They say former President Bill Clinton's representative hasn't made any move yet to release over 11-thousand pages of records. The Clinton campaign says it may take two more weeks for that representative to decide what to release and then to request the release of the documents from the White House. How convenient – that would be after next Tuesday when Texas and Ohio hold their primaries.

As for the tax returns, Hillary Clinton also said at the debate she would release them once she becomes the nominee "or even earlier."

But her campaign seems to be backing away from that statement now, suggesting Clinton won't release the financial information until tax time in April. When Clinton loaned her own campaign $5 million, Barack Obama suggested she should follow his lead and release her tax returns so the public could see where the money came from.

Here’s my question to you: How important is it for Hillary Clinton to release her tax returns and White House records now?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Woodrow writes:
As long as Sen. Clinton continues to resist transparency she reinforces the negative image of politics as usual. It breeds distrust and suspicion over her whole campaign. I don't believe this will help her assertion that she is a change agent! What is she hiding?

Stan from Pittsburgh writes:
Why should she? Because Obama is hoping for something the media can find to pick and twist to make a story about nothing? The media should be looking into something that matters. Like Farrakhan and Wright. I am surprised at you, Jack. Did you recently attend an Obama rally or something? You are starting to sound like Chris Matthews with the tingle up his leg.

Win from Phoenix writes:
It appears the Clintons are not being completely truthful. Hillary complains that the media has been biased toward her. I disagree. If Barack was stalling in releasing his tax returns, I am almost certain that the media would not be as patient with him as they have been with Hillary. Proof is in the pudding. How long can she continue to attempt to fool the American people?

Annie from Atlanta writes:
Jack, Just another example of how the media bring up negatives on Hillary and leave Obama alone. What about Obama and his home and land deal and the crook behind it? Where are those questions? What's good for one is good for the other.

Helen writes:
Leave her alone. It is not important to see her income tax. She has been vetted more than any other candidate. Why don't you harass others the way you do Hillary? We will all get to see her income tax return at the appropriate time. Did you file yours?

Nathalie writes:
Of course she should release them. One of the huge impediments to her election, in my opinion, is that she seems intimately entangled with many of the special interest groups. Until I am convinced she will not be a George W. Bush version 2.0 with regards to special interests then she will not get my vote. Or my money.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Tax Returns
  1. ajks

She should release them before the March 4th primaries!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  2. Jim Galvin

If she released them today, it might help her on March 4th. The 'what is she hiding' question will continue to loom over her until she does release them. What is she hiding, I wonder?

February 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  3. Paul

Jack,
    She can release her tax returs and White House records whenever she wants to. For now, it is imperative that she gets out of the race TODAY because she is not winning and we need to go after McCain and Bush. We can't afford to run against 4 republican candidates (Clinton, McCain, Bush and Nader)

Chantilly, Virginia

February 28, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  4. Bertha

from Central Square NY
    There you go again. You are obviously ready to criticize Hillary Clinton, and you give Obama a free pass all the time. I don't care if Hillary releases her 2007 income tax papers at all until after April 15, nobody has to file before then.

February 28, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  5. Richard Hill

Jack, it is very important for her to release these records but she has already said that she won't be able to release them before next Tuesday and after that it won't matter ANYWAY since then SHE WILL BE READY ON DAY ONE TO GO BACK TO THE SENATE.

February 28, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  6. Bruce from Puyallup, WA

Who cares? She's gone after the 4th anyway.

February 28, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  7. Brian From Fort Mill, S.C.

Her whole campaign is based on experience. At least Obama admits that he doesn't have much experience.

What if it turned out that Bill talked in his sleep, and she took copius notes?

She should definitely release the notes pertaining to her work done at the White House.

I'm not that concerned about her tax records unless, of course, she uses the same tax lawyers as Wesley Snipes.

February 28, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  8. David,San Bernardino,CA.

Why are you so concerned about Hillary's tax returns and records? Don't you have anything more important to worry about?

February 28, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  9. Karen

Yes she should release them. I don"t know why there is such a big secret with them unless she has something to hide that could affect her becoming the next democratic nominee. There must be something she hiding from us, it wouldn't be the first time we were hoodwinked by the Clintons. Remember they will do whatever is necessary to win and deal with the consequences later.
    Karen
    CT

February 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  10. Mary

Not important at all. Get off her back, Jack.

Mary in Florida

February 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  11. Bob from Traverse city Michigan

It isn't just important Jack it's critical. Mrs Clintons negative ratings are allready casting doubt on her ability to beat the republican nominee. I'm sure the Rovites are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of revisiting the whitewater looting of that credit union and the out of the blue windfall on the commodities market and the questionable Chinese fundraising etc. etc. Senator Clinton cannot survive the slightest hint of another potential impropriaty or any attempt to cover one up.

February 28, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  12. Helen

This is Media bias Jack we are not supposed to ask for her tax returns until she is the nominee. If she is the nominee it will be after I become president. Do you see the pattern? We are taking as much chance with her as with Obama. Good Hillary, Evil Media!

February 28, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  13. Jeri Idaho

To me, now that CNN has crucified her, not at all. I am sure she will disclose them and their will be nothing to talk about. What's important is that this country is burning and Bush is fiddling!

You guys never asked much about all his lies and misinformation and evan an illegal War. You don't ask the White House about failed Economic policies that are killing us and trust me, the worse isn't here yet!
    You never ask anything about Obama's credibility or accomplishments, there isn't any!
    No, you just keep bashing the one and only person who could bring us out of this and get the US back on the road of World Leadership, Hillary Clinton.
    But I'm sure her taxes are important to you, Jack!

February 28, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  14. Ruby Coria, CA.

Jack, I don't think that it would make a difference?, so it's not important only to those who want to report on it..it's one of them things that your: "damn if you do" and your: "damn if you don't!" hey Jack but it makes good gossip I mean NEWS.

February 28, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  15. John

Who cares, she is 0 for 11. By Tuesday she'll probably be 0 for 13 at worst or best, dependenting on your view point. If she does go to 0 for 13, it time to pack the tent and go home. Therefore the question would be mute
    John
    Hovland, MN

February 28, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  16. Barbara Czipri

Jack,
    It is VERY important that she release her tax returns before the rest of the primaries. She keeps saying that she is "fully vetted" but how can we believe that when she hasn't disclosed her finances?

Barbara
    Palm Harbor FL

February 28, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  17. Frustrated in Ohio Jerry

It's amazing how Hillary (and all the other Congress) can't tell the truth. Hillary promised in the debate how she would release the tax returns. But in the "local Ohio newspapers" stated she is focusing on the poor"....well, the truth will come out about the $20 million Bill Clinton got for the Dubai for helping them buy the US Ports.....Didn't Congress get all upset about that, and what did Hillary do then? For a person that has not worked in what 20 years, how did she get all her money in Politics??

And I just got my 10th call today (received 8 calls yesterday from 5:30 to 8:00) from the Hillary Clinton for President...yet I am on the "do not call list"....but Politicians don't have to live by the same rules and laws that normal Americans live by.....We want change....change all of Congress!

February 28, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  18. Kristi from Indiana

I think we should assume that by her not being forthcoming about this
    that she is hiding something. This has been an issue since the campaign started one year ago and you can't tell me that they couldn't get these records out in that time period. This is exactly why America is so enthusiastic about Obama. When someone says they want to have transperancy in our government and those in office we Americans are going to flock to this person in droves. I just can't figure out why government officials don't want to admit that they work
    for us and therefore must answer to us no matter what the question!

February 28, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  19. mi

It is very important. Her campaign is all about experience and transparency and I keep asking myself which kind experience is she talking about?

February 28, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  20. Terry, San Antonio

Jack, the Republicans gave the Clintons thorough colonoscopies while Bill was President. I think we know these folks inside and out. I wish the media would concentrate more on the two wars and how our voting decisions now will impact our future. It's a dangerous world and we are desperate for a smart, intellectual person to lead us out of this mess. I wake up everyday with my fingers crossed that Bush doesn't start a third war, or maybe World War III, before inaugaration.

February 28, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  21. Brian

Hillary should be very concerned about releasing her information if she wants someone undecided to consider voting for her. Personally, I could care less. I would just as soon vote for George W. Bush again and you know that 'ain't gonna happen'!

February 28, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  22. Marfo

I think it is absolutely neccessary for Sen. Clinton to work around the clock to make public her 'what she did during her 7 years period as the nation's first lady. This will enable good people of American to fairly assess her contributions to the development US during the period ... we're tired of hearing "I've 35 years of experience". Lest I forget, Cafferty, more grease to elbows... I like your analysis. Thanks.
    Sam Marfo Miami, Florida.

February 28, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  23. Carrie from Denver

She should release her returns – no excuses. I've been a little busy and I'll get to it, is something you might say if your office has been messy – not regarding releasing tax returns that are a vital part of a potential president of the United States assuring the public your finances are above board .

February 28, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  24. Antonio in Los Angeles

Not if she drops out on March 5th. If she wins Texas and Ohio by a 70 to 30 percent victory and thus stays in the race; or if she looses the nomination and is asked to be the Vice President, then yes release them. Otherwise, neither she nor the party should risk embarrassment especially if she is destined to drop out and stay out. The fact that she hasn't released them already would suggest that she has already contemplated dropping out.

February 28, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  25. David - Las Colinas,Texas

If HRC will not release her tax returns and White House records, she will not get my vote. If I can not trust her, I can not vote for her.

February 28, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  26. Deb from Nebraska

Jack:
    For your job security, I sure hope Hillary is elected - because I don't know that you would know what to talk about if you didn't have her to rip apart...............oh, maybe Barack has already offered you a position.

February 28, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  27. Michael "C" in Lorton, Virginia

I don't think it is going to make any difference. She is not going to release anything that would incriminate her. Her tax records are not her problem; it is her. There is an old saying, "if you want to find out the true character of a person, give him/her "power."

February 28, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  28. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

I think all of America has had enough of surprises, the warrantless wire-tapping, Justice Department firings based upon number of prosecutions of Democrats, The White House being behind the outing of our top nuclear proliferation agent. Some open honest government would be refreshing as well as our right in an aspiring democracy.

February 28, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  29. James in Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    When her opponent is offering transparency at every level it becomes a question of what is she hiding or trying to cover up. Why wait until every vote has been cast? She says it's the American people funding her campaign and nobody can deny that most corporate CEO's and Washington lobbiest are American. So let's get real Hillary, Where is your money really coming from? If you want my vote it's time to come clean.

February 28, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  30. Joe, Binghamton, NY

Why are you bashing Hillary? The price of OIL is over $103 today and no one, except the wealthy can afford these prices. Why are you not talking about returning to government gas price limits, as we had in the past, or are you one of the puppets of big business speculators, oil companies, etc.? Just by the way your question is phrased we can tell you are out to project a negative image for Clinton. Whether she reports her tax returns I could care less, what I care about is whether the media is fair or close to fair in their presentation of the candidates and the important issues of my concern, which is the cost of everyday living.

February 28, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  31. kay

Who cares?I am certain that she has a very good CPA.We have till April 15.Where is Obama's ?
    Newak ohio

February 28, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  32. Burt

I was listening to retired colonel Jacobs at MSNBC talking about the primaries. He said some important words: IT IS ALL ABOUT LIKEABILITY. No matter what Hillary will do, the press will be on her like a ton of bricks. Admit it media: you are in love with Obama!

February 28, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  33. Brian Reed Redmond, Oregon

Jack, shouldn't we wait until we have a nominee before we pick apart
    things like tax returns? I don't think that this should even be a question yet. I want a President who can turn around this Nation, and this is just another way to give the press something to talk about, not to give us a better view of the candidates.

February 28, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  34. R S in ohio

Not important at all at this point.If she should get the nomination then she should put that information out for all to see right away.

February 28, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  35. Tyrone (IRAQ)

*CORRECTION*

Jack, it is extremely important. If she wants us to trust her and allow her to hold the future of our country and our children in her hands then she needs to earn that trust. Although, I am a Barack Obama supporter I don't think either candidate has done that thus far.If she really has nothing to hide I do think that this is something that could get Hillary back into the race and definately push her over the top to the nomination. Now if she isn't willing to release these documents I will continue to believe that she has something to hide and is definately not willing to be honest with the American people. If she wants to keep this secret from us what else would she keep from us once she gets into the White House. As long as she keeps these documents concealed, she definately WILL NOT get the vote that I feel represents the future of my two young children.

February 28, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  36. Calvin Preddie

Why should she? Were all the candidates asked to provide their income tax records? This goes back to the way the media treats Senator Clinton. If Ms. Clinton had answered that her relationship with someone was only five and a half hours of legal work done for a firm, when it is known that she had a 17 years relationship with the person, what would you say? Yet, this is exactly what Mr. Obama did in the S. Carolina debate.

What are you saying about Mr. Obama's complaining about the neglect of Afghanistan, when as Chair of an oversight committee for Afghanistan he has not called one meeting. He claims he is too busy, but he was able to take time from the campaign to attend a special Church function. If Hillary had done these things, you would be broadcasting about it negatively for weeks.

Is the media bias against Senator Clinton? You can answer that.

February 28, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  37. Karen P

She should turn them in NOW. It's been enough time already...months and months and months and months. Hillary always says no excuses, take action yet she can't even handle her own affairs in a timely manner. Hillary said it had to go to the White House, but yesterday the White House press secretary said they didn't have any requests.

Hillary can't handle her finances, can't handle important paperwork. I'll bet if the IRS wanted to investigate those papers would show up in 24 hours. It's the kind of inept experience we don't need in the White House.

February 28, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  38. tco

That depends upon what the definition of "now" is. In the real world, now means "immediately." In politispeak, "now" is open for interpretation to mean anything from "sometime in the future" to "sometime in the next millenium." Then we'd need to define "tax," "returns," and "records." The latter is easy. She's probably got a box of dusty LPs in her hall closet.

As to your question of how important it is, if a politician waits long enough what seems important today will be unimportant tomorrow. In summary, don't hold your breath. Her campaign will be over and the point moot.

February 28, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  39. Russ Amundsen

Its as important as it is to know Obama's tax records and holdings.

February 28, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  40. Kevin- Webster, MA

Long overdue!! What are they hiding? They know the process so this shouldn't be a surprize. Maybe they don't know which ones to use! Maybe they just don't want us to know.

February 28, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  41. Dale Wise

By not releasing her tax returns and constantly dodging the issue, Clinton has made it extremely important. If there's nothing to hide, then why is it being hidden? We've had enough scandals and shady dealings involving politicians. Do we really need more? – Alexandria, VA

February 28, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  42. Bob in western PA

I won't vote for a candidate who appears to be hiding something. So, Hillary, if you are "clean," prove it. Release your returns now, before the Texas and Ohio primaries! If you won't, that tells me all I need to know.

February 28, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  43. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Hmmmm. Privacy issues. Let's see..... you could only get my income tax and personal records with a court order, and you could only get a court order if there were some valid reason – like maybe running for president?

If Clinton wants to volunteer her records and be transparent that is well and good. If she wants to preserve some – any – doubt by not publishing the Clinton family personal and public records that is, I think, her perogative, barring a court order for same. I just can't see anyone voting for her under those circumstances.

February 28, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  44. David of Natchez MS

I don't care how much she made or paid in taxes. I don't care what records they have of her time in the White House. I am sure she made too much and paid too little. What wasn't recorded worries me more than what was.

February 28, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  45. Dave in Venice

Disclose what? She is a member of congress which means she is exempt from understanding economic issues.

February 28, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  46. Linda, Omaha, Nebraska

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't care, if or when, she ever released them. However, what gives the appearance of hesitancy and secrecy on her part makes it now seem she has something to hide. So for her, I would think, the sooner the better, unless she knows there is information best kept hidden, which would be my guess at this point.

February 28, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  47. MICHAEL BURNETT L.I.N.Y.

Let me take a wild guess? OK' Hillary has some thing to hide, and I believe that she will never disclose a thing! Theres always something to hide behind something like this. How bad of a secret it is remains top be seen, Hillary thats ok you can keep you little secret but' only if you drop out now! If not then I feel that the media will make you wish that you did, good luck!

February 28, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  48. Rich Smyrnios

At this point, it doesnt matter if Senator Clinton released her personal diary to the public. Her campaign was doomed from the beginning. Independents, and Moderates have been speaking in every primary; with the exception of New Hampshire, where Independents had to put McCain on the map.
    Rich
    Mattawan, Mi.

February 28, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  49. Ben from D.C.

I'm not going to base my vote on that but if she doesn't it is only another reason not to trust her character.

February 28, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  50. BPN, California

It's very important. . They should have been put forward months ago, not held back until the nominating process is over. This is more of the Clintons' evasive behavior that makes them seem less than trustworthy. Come clean, Clinton! If you are just a hard working public servant, showing your returns is no big deal.

February 28, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  51. Keith

If she released them, you guys would stop asking about it, so I guess it is important, ya think?

February 28, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  52. Terry North Carolina

Jack
    This is very important and should have already been done why are we still waiting for this ? Lets see where the money comes from and where its going.

February 28, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  53. Judi, Dallas, TX

It was ALWAYS important for any honest citizen, much less a candidate running for Presidency, to be willing to release requested information that any of us would be required to release if asked by the President! Now that she has publicly said on National TV during a debate that she would do so (hedged, might I add, changing from 'after the primary' to 'soon, when I have time'), it is vitally important if she wants to remain the least bit credible or accountable for her word.

February 28, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  54. Brenda, NC

Jack, It's not important. You and the rest of the bullies just want to stir up more trouble for Hillary Clinton. The press and pundits act like they are on a mission to take Hillary down. Give her a break! Senator Clinton has my vote and I'm not changing my mind.

February 28, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  55. stan

jack, it is extremely important she disclose her tax returns, we have seen some sleaze in the past and Americans dont want a repetition,if she wants us to trust her she has to reveal her tax returns now, not after the election like she said, but now! whats she got to hide? dont the voters in ohio and texas and the whole country deserve to know where she got the 5 million to loan her campaign? i get the feeling she may be hiding those returns to protect bill, and not herself!

February 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  56. Shane in TX

I don't care where the Clintons get their money. I care about real UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE and about a president I can believe in because I KNOW they can get the job done. I think people need to quit drinking the Obama Jave and smell the sweet scent of Clinton Coffee. It will be a sad day if Obama wins the nomination and then, as the Democrat, loses the general election because so many of Hillary's supporters REFUSE to vote for Obama. I work in the investment industry and hear everyday from my customers that they will not support Obama even though they're Democrats. Has the DNC, delegates, and superdelegates considered this? I think it deserves a VERY close look because the Democrats COULD lose the general election IF Obama is the nominee.

February 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  57. Brian

Jack in a nut shell YES!!!!! The Clinton's had so much baggage from Whitewater, I believe the only way Americans can trust her is full disclosure. This country does not need another leader that has to spend his or her time in the White house defending prior business deals

February 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  58. Jess from Davis,CA

I is crucially important we need to know if she is as credible as she claims she is. Her campaign is a disaster, if she can buffer it by showing her records on her tax return, maybe she will have a better shot at winning the primaries.

February 28, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  59. Jorge from Monterey, California

Jack,
    For me that is a really important issue! If she had nothing to hide why not release it then? I think it is REALLY important to know where the money its coming! I think that if she want people to trust her she MUST do that... but I KNOW she is not going to do that because it will show that she is one of thoose "well conected" that she talks about And besides she can't prove where 4 million dollars for her campaign came from!

February 28, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  60. Jyothi

It is better now than later. If her tax returns and white house records are clear, then she will have better chances of winning the presidential nominee. If not, it is better to lose now than losing in November or facing scandals after being a president. America is ready to see a woman becoming president , but only a woman who can bring respect to the female world like Madam Cury, Helen Keller and Mother Teresa.

–Jyothi, Mckinney, TX

February 28, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  61. Kyle Tolbert

For Hilary to release her tax statements it would just solidify the fact that she has invested large amounts of her personal funds into her campaign. This will just damage her campaign even more because it shows that she lacks the grass roots support that Barack Obama has.

February 28, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  62. C.N. , West Fargo, N.D..

It isn't important to me at all. What is important is whether I think she is capable of being the head of the United States and I think she is more than capable, definitley much more than Barrack, You know Jack, give it a rest;, you've given Hillary enough negative press over the last few days, how about being fair and aim some of your venom towards Barrack. I'm sure he isn't as pure as the driven snow like he would like for the citizens of this country to believe he is.

February 28, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  63. Jed from Chico, CA

On an ethical level, it's important for two reasons: a) so that we know where her and her husband's finances come from and b) If her 8 years as First Lady are going to count towards her '35 years of experience making her ready on day one so we can have solutions instead of speeches' we should know what she did that was so important.

But realistically, it's probably not all that important. Let's say there's nothing there but bad news for Hillary. Let's also say there's no way they'll be out by March 4. After then, the only delegate rich state in the primary is Pennsylvania on April 22. Win or lose, even by a 60/40 or even a 70/30 margin there's just not enough delegates left to make much of a difference either way.

February 28, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  64. Dwayne K

Winston-Salem, NC

Personally, I do not care to see the Clinton's joint tax returns. Will their taxes show us her experience, knowledge, dedication, passion, ability, etc.? No. Persons against Hillary simply want to discredit her by showing that she and Bill make much more money than her supporters. We know where she and Bill are getting their finances. It isn't hard to follow the money trail of such a public figure. I believe it is very important that she release the White House records ... but not now. I don't expect anything earth shattering to be discovered in the White House records. The Obama camp is simply making a normal records keeping procedure seem dirty and secretive.

February 28, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  65. Cher, North Port, FL

How a person chooses to get and spend money and how s/he choses to use power and privilege shows something about what s/he values. So, what does Hillary value?

I find it very hard to believe that these pieces of information are being "tied up" by someone else other than the Clintons. I think it's clear the the voters don't want to be duped again. These documents should have been released a long time ago.

February 28, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  66. Brian, Tampa, fl

Jack,
    Yes it is important when you are seeking the highest office
    on this planet, if you want the people's vote show WE THE PEOPLE
    your earned income on your money.
    If is obvious Pres Clinton is not being clear about something,
    WE THE PEOPLE do not like to be obfuscated by your facts.

Brian

February 28, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  67. tony utica, ny

are we going to ask for all of obama's records from his time in the senate in illinois... she has said she would but i think she should not show anything until obama agrees all his records will be disclosed also..............whats good for the goose is good for the gander......of course you biase media people would never push obama for anything

February 28, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  68. Merv

Are you kidding me....or are you just trying to prove the media bias one more time. Get a hold of your love for Obama...you mean to tell me that you don't have any questions about Obama....it is always about Clinton!!!!! He is the front runner now and the media is scared to ask anything about him.

February 28, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  69. Louis

It started out being mildly important, now its extremely important. I watched the debate in Ohio the other night when Tim Russert asked her about the prospect of releasing her tax return and her answer: I will when I'm the nominee. The most she resists being transparent about her tax returns the more I want to know what the hell is she's hiding. I suspect the reason why she wont release them until the nomination is secured is because she's hiding a skeleton so huge that its hard to keep the closet shut! If we wait until she secures the nomination, which I think is increasingly unlikely, she may be bringing so much baggage to the general election that our defeat come November may be sealed.

February 28, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  70. independent

As important as the media being fair and impartial. As important as Obama speaking of real issues. I know this will never get pass "waiting for moderation," since I said something bad about your boy.

Florida

February 28, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  71. Chris Thornton

I think that you just answered yesterdays question with today's question, (News Media unfair to Clinton?).

So sure let's open any and all of her records and while we're at it how about asking some more questions about Lewinski.

Media Bias? No Way, just ask Obama!

Chris in St. Louis

February 28, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  72. W B in Las Vegas

Jack,

the Clintons are as secretive as Bush, Cheney or any of the rest of the current administrations criminal gang. they will NEVER release that information.

it's just another reason that I think both Bill and Hillary are nothing but "Republicans in Democrate clothing"

February 28, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  73. Amy, Kalamazoo

Honestly Jack, I just don't see how it's going to make a huge impact. It's not going to change people's minds and make them switch from Obama to her at the polls, and not submitting them isn't going to prevent her staunch supporters from voting for her March 4th. It will serve the media with more fodder no matter what she does. At this point it's a little like putting in your 2 weeks notice in the middle of your first day on the job. Why bother?

February 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  74. Alfred

Jack, the tax records and full disclosures have been mentioned with Sen. Clinton. Their is a fire burning, I smell the smoke. Perhaps some fireperson has to go in and take down some walls to get to this fire before the whole house is destroyed.

February 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  75. dave in calgary, alberta

Well, geewiz Jack – she sorta sounds like George Bush stalling on the release of reports related to the Iraq war. Yep, sure looks like she would bring change to the White House.

February 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  76. stacy

it it were you, would you show yours?

February 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  77. Bruce St Paul MN

It's not important at all. Everyone knows that Bill Clinton has been a highly paid and sought-after public speaker for the last seven years. He has a popular book out . Whatever. Nobody thought they were poor. As far as her First Lady experience goes, the documents will only reinforce views on both sides. Yes she has some experience. Does she overstate it? Probably. We are beyond that point in the primary race. It will likely be over before all those pages can even be thinned out. If she becomes the nominee, which is not likely, the documents might be relevant if only to keep them from being an issue.

February 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  78. KARYL - CT

JACK – Give her a break! What about McCain ? What about Obama ? What about Huckabee ( he's still in the RUNNING by the way! ) What about YOU ! Don't you have any better dirt to dig up? I'm sure you and the other media's are hunting for DIRT on everyone. Get out of the closet and go write another book.

February 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  79. Jonathan

Jack,

I don't think that a tax return and thousands of documents being held up has any impact on whether or not people will vote for a candidate. This question just adds to the flavor of overall negative media coverage this well liked candidate has been receiving. I've been watching this show for several years now and can't remember seeing more than 1 or 2 negative pieces on Obama. It is getting really old.

-Jonathan
    Boca Raton, FL

February 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  80. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

You said it Jack. How convenient, indeed.

February 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  81. John

I think it's very important for her to release the documents now, the voters need to understand what went on during those time and have a better idea of who they are voting for. but knowing who the Clinton's are, those document will never be released. she wont be the nominee and she will argue that there's no reason to release them.

February 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  82. Joe Boston, MA

Cafferty you are so anti-Hillary it's not even funny anymore. All your articles are about Clinton and what she hasn't done. How about questioning Obama's record once in a while. How about writing an article about the fact that he has never had a meeting about Afghanistan eventhough he is the chair of the subcommittee on Europe/NATO??

February 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  83. James in Cape Coral, FL

Be careful Jack, your at risk of being called anti-Hillary for this question.

February 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  84. Juan

Cant you find anything about Obama to talk about? like his campaign supporter going to trial monday, or his muslim peacher, or his wavering on public financing, or his lack of action on the afhganistan committee. You are worthless as a reporter.

February 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  85. Patricia

Sen. Clinton should release her tax & other records only if she wins the nomination to run for President from her party & not until then. Besides Jack, she's supposed to have released this infomation when she ran for the Senate, & if they haven't found any dirt on her by now, they won't.
    Patricia
    Palmdale, Ca.

February 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  86. Lynx

Jack

The real question is WHY she hasn't when challenged to do so by Obama, who has made his public.

The public is more intelligent than ever and want to know who is financing those who say they are working for the "ordinary people".

My hunch is that she has something to hide and doesn't want it known until after March 4 for fear that people knowing the truth will certainly not vote for her.

The media knows who is financing Clinton and they allowed her to say in the last Debate that her financing came from the people. What happened to keeping them honest on this? The Clintons have taken 10s of millions of dollars from lobbyists as has McCain.

Has Obama? I think not.

Why not air the numbers for the Public to see?
    Something so important to people when making a critical decision and you publish slanted opinons of people.
    Isn't it the news media's responsibility to report the truth of this? Is the media going to vacate their responsibility on this issue as they did with their silence on the march to the Iraq war?

February 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  87. jwrig22

She says it will take two weeks, which is after the March 4 primaries. She's just saying that she'll release them. After March 4, she'll have to drop out and she will never release the records because she won't be a candidate anymore. She should release them, but she won't, but by then, I won't care.
    GEAUX OBAMA! YES WE CAN!

February 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  88. Claire

If she's going to lump those times into her championed 35 years of experience, then yes. I would very much like to see what she was up to. If she has nothing to hide, she'll be fine.

February 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  89. Jasmine from Chicago

if Hillary really has nothing to hide she can release the tax forms. Everyone has released theirs, she shouldn't be an exception. We all want to know wher that $5 mill came from.

February 28, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  90. Wayne

There you go again Jack. You are obsessed with Hillary Clinton and doing everything in your power to bring her down. Who cares when she releases this information. There is nothing to hide or she would not have promised to release them at all. Its not like she never thought she would be running for President. How about some questions about Obama? Need some suggestions?

Did Obama do drugs in 1999, as accussed by Larry Sinclair. In the past you guys would have been all over that story.

Why has Obama not done his job in the Senate on the oversight comittee for Afganistan, which he chairs?

Why did Obama vote present 100's of time in the state senate? Why did Obama make mistakes and vote wrong on atleast 6 bills.

How about the lobbyist that support his campaign. Our his connections that are questionable at best. How about his lack of leadership experiance in the most important time of our country?

Come on Jack. Should you not balance your silly questions.

I trust and support Hillary Clinton and your one sided war against her will not sway me or millions of others who will vote for her because she is the best qualified canidate in this race.

PS. See if you can pull more than one positive remark for your broadcast. As I watch and read you, I can see you choose the answers that fit your opinion. SAD.

February 28, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  91. Jon

Jack,

Not just Hillary, but McCain also needs to release his tax returns. Hillary is a another Bill, remember Bill's definition of IS is.

On Tuesday night she said she will do it as soon as she can and the very next day her campaign came up with a statement of not providing until April (not before PA primary). She is like a CHINA, Transparency is necessary but don't expect me to follow that rule.

Typical Washington Politician who say one thing and do exactly the apposite like Senior bush's promise READ MY LIPS. we did and we saw what happened.

I am in a solution business but I wont tell you how the solution was achieved.

Jon,
    Arlington VA

February 28, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  92. Richard, Toronto

It's not important that she releases her tax returns now, as long as we can simply have her word that this money didn't come from corporate interests or lobbyist payouts. She could quench the 'what is she hiding' question with one sentence. If she chooses not to, then it's pretty obvious what she is hiding.

February 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  93. Reuben Huggleby from Minneapolis

It doesn't matter Jack, she's yesterday's news and since she isn't going to be the Democratic nominee, we don't need to know the details. Might as well box them up with the notes and invitees to Cheney's Energy Policy discussion.

February 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  94. Amy in Iowa

When the Clinton name has been synonomous with not telling the truth, Hillary should be the first one in line to give American voters full disclosure.

The fault finding and delay in both her WH records and release of her tax returns is not acceptable from a candidate who wants us to trust her. It does not seem credible to delay or not release them all now.

The fact that Obama has disclosed his tax returns, and is strongly for ethics reform, and the fact Obama does not have the type of political baggage that Hillary Clinton would bring to the White House makes him a candidate I can believe in. The mere idea of hidden and undisclosed items from a candidate leads the average person to question why not disclose? I think it is important Hillary discloses and it should be a requirement regarding ethics and trust.

February 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  95. Rich McKinney,Texas

When you run for president of the United States and are demanding change and using it as a platform for your campaign you better be transparent You can not ask people to vote for change if you are not willing to change. The Clinton's have always been good at deception and it is becoming more prevalent now. If You want my vote because you want to be my president then you better be crystal clear about what you do and what you have done. Anything else is not acceptable. It makes one ask, "What are they trying to hide"?

February 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  96. Theresa from Canada

A spokesperson from the Clinton Camp in an article posted on CNN earler today said he has 45 days to review the documents before releasing them. As he stated he still has 17 days remaining in that 45 day committment.. Don't bash until the deadline has passed.
    Anyone who has ever lined up to get a drivers licence renewed knows how slow the governement moves. Give the Clintons their full 45 days before you put them down....fair is fair.

February 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  97. Steve Shermer

HIllary should disclose her tax return & White House records. What shes afraid of that American people will find out how little she has payed in taxes.. As far the White records the American people need to
    know what her role ready was in the 8 years of Bill Clintons Presidency and not just what she claim her role was.
    How about these offshore accounts that the Clintons have in the Caymans ???

February 28, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  98. Rehman

Jack,
    It's really not important for her to release her Tax Returns and records. I doubt it will really change any Texas or Ohio voters mind's within 4-5 days. Plus, she should be able to do it when she wants. You guys should stop giving her a hard time.

Rehman, Detroit, Michigan

February 28, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  99. Karen, New Jersey

Jack,
    Clearly, something in her joint tax return is arguable, otherwise she would have already released them. Who does she think she is fooling?

February 28, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  100. Talana in Eugene, OR

The way her campaign is dancing around this issue is another example of how her own campaign is her own worst enemy. What is so complicated about releasing them? If it takes that much time and manpower, it leads me to think that there really may be something to hide.

February 28, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  101. Denise

Wouldn't it be easier to just come out and say you don't like her, and leave it at that? Why are you compelled to rant over some perceived Clinton "issue" every single day? You would gain more credibility as a journalist if you went after all the candidates equally.

February 28, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  102. Fred

Jack,
    Important?, for who and for what,unless she got some to hide,who care!. Let her be the next President, and stop crucifie this woman.Dig more on Obama closet.

February 28, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  103. Stephannie Minneapolis, MN

Release tax returns? I'd rather for Clinton to release her concession speech.

February 28, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  104. Wilma, in Georgia

I don't understand why it should matter where the money came from,unless it was illegal, We need to get our minds on a person who can help this Nation. And "HILLARY" is that person.We have economy problems and that is more important than where the money came from.

GO HILLARY !! 2008

February 28, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  105. Darren

Darren, from Toledo Ohio. I think it's of the uttermost importance for Sen. Clinton to release her tax records now. But it's not going to happen, obviously there's something there that would cause some concerns for voters and have a negative effect in a tight race, that's slipping away from her minute by minute. I'm sure if she had squeaky clean, tax & White House accountability records, that could only help her campaign, she always says she's been to eighty different countries, so have many rock stars, release the records to show the American public what you did when you got there.

February 28, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  106. Jess from Davis, CA

Clearly Jack, it is crucial she release these documents. It will allow us to determine her credibility after all, her campaign has proven to be a disaster. If her records are clean, it might help her save her campaign and win the primaries

February 28, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  107. Pat H. from Hollywood, Fl

Why isn't the media spending a lot more time having a 1 on 1 dialogue with each candidate and have them address how they would attempt to resolve the MANY problems we have. More debates without silly questions that have -0- to do with how they would run the country. I frankly give a rats backside about the poll numbers or who is now backing who. I want some good answere and I am capable of deciding who will get my vote on how I feel about the answers I hear. Not the polls, the backers, the radio jocks, the media or even the elite electoral votes.
    Pat H.
    Hollywood, Fl.

February 28, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  108. Monte Brown

More Hillary hating and scrutiny by Jack Cafferty. You are turning into Dick Morris and the rest of those Fox News haters. Why, Jack? I would really like to watch CNN, but I can't take the hate. Why isn't anyone digging in Obamas records. Why isn't anyone all up in Obama's grill?

February 28, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  109. Anna, SW Missouri

Her answer to the question about her taxes during the debate was the worst thing that she has done to her campaign. Everyone watching it had to be asking themselves if we were in for more Clinton scandals if we elect her. Not a smart move on her part.

February 28, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  110. Alex Smith, NC

This is amazing to me. I believe she is an American, isn't she? She can keep them for all I care. I believe this is the media trying to dig another none story into a big huge deal and who does it benefit? Obama, oh yeah thats right the media is in his pocket right now. Let her release them whenever she is ready, and when she does who really cares. If you were to go out to Hollywood and ask some of those actors to release theres they would tell you to kiss off, and maybe that is what she should say.

February 28, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  111. Barbara in Ohio

Very important for her to release them.,if there is nothing to hide.
    Since her chances to win, are as a snowball , lasting in hell.

February 28, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  112. Brian from Pittsburgh

It's too late now. This is the same old politics that people are sick of, and Obama's already on the path to victory. She needs to win Texas and Ohio by a landslide just to stay in the race, and that's not going to happen. Obama has been open, honest and sincere, and it's too late for Hillary to play catch up now.

February 28, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  113. B. Smart

Hillary said that she won't release them until she's the nominee. I wonder if that means that we have to vote for her first, and then we can
    see them.

OBAMA 08.

February 28, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  114. Fred

Jack,
    Important?, for whom and for what,unless she got some to hide,who cares!. Let her be the next President, and stop crucifie this woman.Dig more on Obama closet.

February 28, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  115. Alex Smith, NC

She hasn't released hers, oh and neither has McCain but he is not running againist Obama yet so we can't dig on him right now. This is crazy, people you are drinking the Kool Aid and it is so amazing to watch. I don't care if she ever releases them and most people don't. What does it matter, oh that her and her husband have some money and etc... WHO CARES!

February 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  116. Republicrat

I think she is holding out because she doesnt have full faith in her chances of clinching the nomination. What good would it do for her to release all of this information and still not get the nomination? If she can keep her secrets and still perform well on tuesday to her there is no incentive for being completely forthcoming. Which is idiotic by the way.
    -Chicago

February 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  117. Stephannie Minneapolis, MN

Release her tax returns? I'd rather for Clinton to release her concession speech.

February 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  118. Mike

Sen. Clinton is once again "all talk" with no actions to herself up. If Obama has to take the lead in opening up tax books, I think it's even more clear he should take the lead in running our country. It's time for America to know what it's leaders are really doing with our money.

February 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  119. Arnold from Gunnison, CO

I can't believe this is still going on. Didn't Obama release his tax records a month or two ago? Surely Hillary doesn't have anything to hide.

February 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  120. Greg, NY

So what happens if she eventually does win the nomination, then releases her records and we find some things in there that are controversial?

Do the democrats just say, "whoops, we did it again." Can we afford to take that risk?

February 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  121. Marie

I think it's important – given Senator Obama has released his tax returns.

Whether she has anything to hide or not – the cloaking in secrecy and dancing around why she won't release her returns or papers from the White House – make it seem as though she is hiding something.

I think it makes her look exactly as her critics believe her to be – untrustworthy.

February 28, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  122. Mike

Sen. Clinton is once again “all talk” with no actions to back herself up. If Obama has to take the lead in opening up tax books, I think it’s even more clear he should take the lead in running our country. It’s time for America to know what it’s leaders are really doing with our money.

February 28, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  123. Paul Williamsburg, Virginia

Jack, why don't you and the rest of the liberal media start showing some impartiality? When are you going to hold Obama's feet to the fire like you have done to Hillary? "O God ! that men should put an enemy in their mouths to steal away their brains." William Shakespeare

February 28, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  124. papaharpman

"Well, the Bush administration now says it’s actually the Clintons who have been holding up the release of those records."

Jack, I cannot believe you wrote the above. Bush's entire life is secret. He refuses to give papers even to Congressional investigators. How many voters will be moved by Clinton's records, anyway? She is dead-in-the-water if she does or doesn't. Can you save yourself if you had to swim to shore without a life-jacket? I can't.

Dale – Anadarko, OK

It is obvious that your blogs are wordpress.com. I wonder if you staff would give me some help on knowing how to post here and at the same time, to my wordpress.com blog.

February 28, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  125. Martie in Gardner,Massachusetts

It's very important that she release the information right now. Not releasing her records and tax returns only makes people wonder what she is trying to hide and raises suspicion of her and her campaign.

February 28, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  126. Terri in Eastern Canada

She is a clever lady. She never did tell us WHY she won't release her tax info now. What's to hide? The Toledo Blade says she looted the White House on the way out the door last time. Maybe she wants back in for the cookie jar.

February 28, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  127. Alex Smith, NC

Maybe the media should try another story this is just bad news, no one cares and honestly if you do care then you voted for Obama. The truth hurts doesn't it! I don't care how much money she has or her husband, if I was her I would release them right now because if there was $1 that looks outta wack then the media will run with that ball until 2012. I wouldn't let my mother see my tax returns let alone the nation, it is her information and she can bring them out when she wants too.

February 28, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  128. Independent in Valparaiso, IN

Are you the one who was asking just yesterday whether or not the media was unfair to Hillary Cinton while giving Obama a free ride? Frankly, I think there is a lot more we don't know about him than about a woman you've been hounding for years. Who cares about tax returns anyway–I sure don't when there are bigger issues at hand.

February 28, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  129. Richard from Littleton, MA

Unless she was involved in some mass conspiracy during Bill's time in office, I don't see it mattering too much, although if there isn't anything to hide, why does she still hide it? Just release the files already – regardless of whomever you support, everyone knows we should move past this worthless sniping over relatively insufficient matters and just focus on the policies.

February 28, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  130. Sue M British Columbia, Canada

Full disclosure...holding back is creating a controversy and another venue such as this for the world to speculate. If there's nothing to hide, deliver the goods.

February 28, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  131. Debbie

from Vancouver, Wash.
    I think it is very important she release them, otherwise it looks like a cover up!!!! This is what I dont like about her, she talks out of three sides of her mouth all saying something different,that is why she cant be trusted to speak the truth.

February 28, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  132. roberto

The candidates should all be required to release their tax returns. If you are honest and have nothing to hide, you promptly comply with this request. Voters should know who they are voting for, and the tax returns tell the story.

February 28, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  133. Raul Guttierez, Houston, TX

It is not important. It will not sway any follower towards or away from her.

I am a first time voter. I said to myself when the primary started that I will vote for whoever gets nominated. Lately, I am gravitating towards Sen Clinton. Not because she is better that Sen Obama (in terms of issues) but because of the media bias in favor of Sen Obama.

I know the controversies surrounding Sen Clinton but I don't know much about Sen Obama except that he is good in rhetorics.

Maybe CNN can help me decide. Why not expose all skeletons in the closet of both Sen Obama and Sen Clinton three days before the TX, OH primary? Maybe you can invite a representative or a seasoned reporter who support either Clinton or Obama and give them a chance to show the good and bad side of their candidates. Something like the real debate but no holds barred. That way the people can analyze each candidate’s weakness, strengths and controversies surrounding in their lives. I believe by doing something like that, the media can very well serve political needs of the American people.

February 28, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  134. Jenny

Wow, I almost forgot she is 100 points down, donated 5 million to her own campaign and brags about 35 million this month. I wonder how she plans to help our economy when her solution for her campaign is kept secret. Either disclose the finances or drop out.

February 28, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  135. David

Jack,

Personally, I am not really inerested in the content of her tax records or her White House records. However, the fact that she continually works to delay the release of them is troubling. It would suggest that there is indeed something she is hiding; especially when during the debate she seemed to squirm in her seat when confronted with both of those topics.

David

February 28, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  136. Carol Wichita, Kansas

This is not as important now as it would have been, given Obama's likelihood of being the nominee. However, New York voters may be unhappy if there is a continued lack of disclosure. Didn't she learn from Bill that it is better to get things out there than to stonewall?

February 28, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  137. Gloria in Texas

It's not that important. What makes it so important, I haven't even completed my tax return yet.

Certainly Barack has finished his already, he isn't worth 2 cents anyhow.

February 28, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  138. Jared, Jackson, TN

Jack,
    It seems that Hillary says she is ready to lead on day one, but not ready to disclose all of her information until day two. It might be hard for Clinton to fight against mega-corporations when it is found out that she had taken their money to bolster her struggling campaign.

February 28, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  139. Davis - Minneapolis

Her failure to release them will work against her as many other tactical decisions she has made. Even if there are some critical things contained, people will assume the worse if they have no facts on which to base the truth. Overal, a tactical error...at least she is consistent in this regard.

February 28, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  140. gerry

Her arrogance dictates that she do things only on her own terms.

So if she misses out on Super Tuesday 2, expect more delay tactics.

Her and her husband's records regarding transparency leave much to be desired.

We really need to see her off this White House fixation and let her go back to being the junior senator for New York where she can, in a few years time, boast about all that extra experienmce which she has amassed.

February 28, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  141. Ti_tina

I think that it is extremely important that she release them. She he hanging by a thread and her behavior over the past couple of weeks has caused people to take a second look and loose some trust in her. I personally have lost a lot of resepct for her over her behavior and find it "Republican-like", and hiding documents too me seems very much like old politics. In fact it seems a lot like the republican politics she is "fighting" so much against. And it is exactly what Obama is campaigning against. How much amunition is she going to give him. And then she will blaime everybody else for her failure. Really it amazes me!!

Christina, NY

February 28, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  142. DP, Jacksonville, FL

The Democratic nomination was Clinton's to lose. At every juncture where should could have acted in a manner that suggested integrity and strength, she came across as precisely the opposite. The content of her financials is probably moot, but her refusal to release them gives the "appearance of impropriety," which is the worse professional sin of all.

It's frustrating, because neither Obama or Clinton deserve the presidency. Despite her experience Clinton is looking shadier every day, and Obama just doesn't have the experience.

It looks like we'll be in Iraq for a long, long time.

February 28, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  143. tina

The media is so worried about Hillary Clinton and the things that she isn't doing, instead of focusing on the things that she is doing. Quit worrying about her Tax Returns and focus on the things she is doing for our country, the country is in a mess, and I'm sure people have more things to worry about than Hillary Clintons Tax Returns, they're probably more worried about gas prices, and their high energy bills that nobody can seem to afford anymore, so let's get to the real problems, and who cares about Hillary Clintons Tax Returns!

February 28, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  144. Jo

Mr Cafferty

I like Hillary but it is not her time. She should stop taking money from all of those lobbyists for a few years and prove that she is not owned by them. Then she could run on a clean slate. She should publish the return take the heat and show a change by the next election.

On the contrary, the media has been kind to Clinton they know where her money comes from and they won't report it.

February 28, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  145. Jerry

Jack

Who cares about the Clinton Tax Returns all I want is my $ 600.
    dollar Stimulus Package rebate so I can start paying $ 4.00 a
    gallon for gas. Now thats important.

Jerry
    Roselle, Illinois

February 28, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  146. Cathy

If Hillary Clinton truely feels she is so experienced, qualified and ready one day one to run the country, then she should have nothing to hide. She ought to realize excuses, justifications and validations, true or not only lead people to be suspicious, just as they should be if she doesn't
    cough up those tax returns and WH records ASAP! Cathy from Maine

February 28, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  147. Carmelle

Did she just learn this week that she had to release her records? Is this new to her? If she's so experienced, shouldn't she have known this? In my opinion, she responded to the question much as a kid who is caught in a lie. She laughs it off, "I'm a little bit busy here..." and her condescending attitude conveys that she doesn't think it is important. It obviously is! When you seek the highest office in the United States, it is crucial that you come clean. We, the people, prioritize your business; YOU do not dismiss our concerns. That is arrogant and it will cost you.

February 28, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  148. Al

It's not like we want to know if she ever had sexual relations in the oval office. We just want to know about her 35 years of experience, and how she makes her millions. It's a reasonable request of anyone running for President.

Al, Lawrence KS

February 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  149. Patrick

Jack, what's your deal man? How about for once...just once, do a positive story on Hillary Clinton. I mean, to think the Bush White House would tell any kind of truth at this point is ludicris.

How about talking about her 35 million dollar fundraising efforts in Feb? Just something nice, not terribly critical.

February 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  150. Les Hazelton

Jack,

It's probably best if she doesn't release the white house papers or her sources of income – at least if she wants to retain any chance of winning the nomination. If she did, she would be revealing who she really represents and I am sure it wouldn't be the American people.

Les – from Yorktown, NY

February 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  151. Bill from Nebraska

It probably isn't fair that Sen. Clinton isn't trusted, since it's been the White House that has repeatedly abused the public's trust, but "Trust me" from any government official just won't cut it anymore

February 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  152. hms

Jack- Why don't you stick to the issues... Ask obama why he has not held a single hearing of the NATO committee since that is MORE important to our country....

February 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  153. Kris Koliwad

Jack,
    She should release her White House records ASAP since she claims she did lot of things for the country during those 8 years. I as a voter would like to know what she did and who she was meeting with etc. She chastises Dick Cheney for his refusal to release the names of his panel of advisors on energy policy and then is dodging the release of her own records. How ironic? I neither belong to the "vast right wing conspiracy" nor the "media conspiracy".

Kris, CA

February 28, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  154. Vinnie Vino

Jack,
    Come on Hillary disclose your tax returns and White House records to prove everyone, who thinks you are hiden something, wrong. Unless those people are right and she is stone walling the release of these documents to improve her chances of winning the party's nomination. So indeed the scope of the of the documents in question is very important to the public to help them determine if he or she is qualified to be the President, Full disclosure for anyone seeking public office...

C.I., New York

February 28, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  155. Jennifer J from North Carolina

I don't care who she met with as First Lady. But I do want to know where she got $5 million dollars to help out her own campaign. Her book? It's likely. The larger question, though, is: Why is she so vigorously hiding her tax records? Why is she telling debate moderators one thing and then turning around the next day and reneging on her promise? Smells fishy.

February 28, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  156. Jennifer in Ohio

Hmmm... isn't it funny that no one in the other 30+ primaries were complaining that they didn't get the records before they got to vote???

I think everyone should calm down about these records. No one is insisting we get information about where Barack Obama was from 1992-2000- so what is the big rush for Hillary Clinton all of a sudden?

February 28, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  157. Tom in Desoto Texas

The Clinton's adhear to the "Do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to. What was Bill's confusion about the a meaning of a word? Was it "the" or "is" he was confused about the defination? How could they possible be able to define "release your income taxes" before they have to.

February 28, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  158. Denise

They are very important. If she is, as honest as she says she is, then why hide/delay these records unitl she is the nominee? This type of political Clinton shadyness is the reason I am giving my full support to Sen. Obama. All I have to say is Peter Paul....

Denise
    Louisville,KY
    Obama '08

February 28, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  159. jane of portland, oregon

I think she should release these details as soon as possible, not only because the other democratic candidates already did, but because we would rather know now, rather than after she is the nominee, whether there are irregularities in her finances and that of her spouse, the former president.

By the way, isn't it odd that prior to there being a democratic nominee, Presdient Bush and Senator McCain are issuing criticisms of Sen. Obama but not of Sen. Clinton? By putting Obama on the defensive he has to fight two fronts–against both the Republicans and against HIllary. My sense is that by doing so they are trying to influence the outcome of the democratic race toward Clinton, whom the Republicans would much rather face in November. What do you think?

February 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  160. Brian, Las Vegas

Releasing tax returns for public perusal is a potentially embarrassing way to open a candidate up for public scrutiny. Every other presidential candidate has already bitten the bullet and done so – what are the Clintons hiding?

February 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  161. Unbelievable

Shame on You Hillary Clinton!!! Many of these documents should have been released years ago. Additionally, there is no reason to wait to release your Income Tax Return. You talk about Leadership on Day 1? Well how about showing us that you can lead before then? I want someone who can lead now, not next year, and with the way that you have refused disclosure, blamed others for not disclosing, hidden disclosure, makes me realize you CANNOT lead now, so thus you WILL NOT be able to lead on Day 1.
    Barack Obama has released his information – he has shown he can be a leader.

Dan
    Colordao

February 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  162. Dave W

It's not important at all, if you blindly follow Hillary. It is extremely important if you have concerns about her honestly. Why will she only release tax records after it is too late for America to pick a new candidate? This is one more reason why America needs change after 20 years of Bush, Clinton, Bush.

February 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  163. char

Of course it is important, which is precisely why HRC will not release the information. Her "35" years experience is under fire and the White House records will prove what most people already suspect. HRC was not in charge in the White House years. Let us not forget how she tackled the health care issue...behind closed doors. The problem with the Clintons is that they both believe they are above the rules by which everyone else must operate. No released tax returns, White House papers, or anything else they deem discrediting.
    I wonder just how long it will take the public to get tired of hypocrites like the Clintons telling the rest of us how superior they are.

February 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  164. EFabian

I couldn't care less what her tax returns says. It's none of my business.
    The only thing that concerns me is if any of the candidates are experienced enough to run this country.

No to Obama. Yes to Clinton.

I wonder if you are ever going to cover something negative about Obama? There are some very juicy stories about him but it appears Hillary is the one to crucify.

February 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  165. kb from iowa

I don't care if she releases them or not. I never did. But I wish she would have just said that she wasn't going to. It's the lying about it that bothers me. Is there another stained dress in there somewhere?

February 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  166. Jay (Phoenix AZ)

The tax records themselves are less important than the transparency.

After the last few years of rumored shady dealings in government, no bid contracts and suspected corruption from the top up, America wants to be sure that their next president will be on the up and up and unafraid to let the people know that the persident works for them.

February 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  167. ORK

Aren't we talking about tax returns she has already prepared, completed, and returned – all that remains is to xerox them for release.. I am certain their is enough time till march 4th, unless it is income you don't want to xerox?

February 28, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  168. D. Williams; Miami, FL

I didn't think this was very important at all. I just assumed this was something that every politician does before campaigning. However, that she continues to delay and that whatever money she has received she utlized it to keep her campaign afloat tends to give the appearance of some impropriety or at the very least.. the existence of information that Clinton believes could be damaging. I also don't think this has anything to do with Barack Obama.

February 28, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  169. Mike in NYC

Jack, it's imperative for her to release the information. She's vying for a job that would, supposedly, make her one of the most powerful people on the planet. Considering the importance of this, we need to know all we can about a candidate. Eight years ago, we really did not knowwhat we were in for, and after eight years of seeing such power being abused and misused, transparency and accountability for ALL levels of government must become the norm.

February 28, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  170. Karl in CA

One President with missing military and driving records, and who know what else, is enough. If she's been "vetted" she needs to show her papers, like any other purebred.

February 28, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  171. Nancy S -Long Beach, CA

I don't care so much about Hillary's tax returns, although it does make me wonder what she is hiding. The White House First Lady documents should be public record, especially because she is now running for President. Maybe the papers would reveal that she was against NAFTA the whole time........

February 28, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  172. Marcia Pa

Jack. Everyone should read the book Hillary Rodham Clinton "What Every American Should Know:. That will say a lot about the Clintons and why they won't want the American people to know about their Tax Records . My friends and i read it and it opened our eyes about them both . God help us . Marcia Pa

February 28, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  173. Bukky, Baltimore

She 'loaned" herself 5 Million Dollars... SHE's HIDING that fact that she rich.

I want to know... who paid her? for what? and how much?

February 28, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  174. Shocking

And it's the Clinton campaign that is spreading the word of "we don't know anything about Obama". Shame on you Hillary – you and bill are untrustworthy corrupt Washington politicians. Thank God for Obama!

February 28, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  175. marylee wagerman atlanta,ga

We all know about the standing room only in the Clinton's closet due to all their skeletons.She will NEVER release her taxes or the records.The media never asks her about this,yet she thinks she is getting the raw end of the deal.

February 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  176. Chinez

SHE SHOULD DEFINITELY RELEASE THEM. WHAT IS SHE HIDING. WE NEED TRANSPARENCY IN THIS RACE.

CHINEZ

February 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  177. Jim in PA

We get it Jack – the media wants her out NOW – good thing you weren't doing this when Kennedy ran – put it to bed – don't care about her taxes – if she didn't pay any, you can bet the IRS would be screaming indictment fast – if she's got money, so what? I don't hear anybody complaing that McCain or Obama have money (I'm assuming you don't buy a million dollar home without it, and you sure aren't making those mortgage payments on a senator's salary) I can't imagine going through thousands of papers just so they can get released to a media who will find fault – let the election play itself out – the public just might show you we can look beyond the negatives and come to a conclusion all by our little ole' selves

February 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  178. Richard Sternagel

Jack,it is very important! After all the public has a right to know who she is indebted to.What special interests control her before the elections and after! Barack Obama is not controlled by any one! I find that refreshing!

February 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  179. mike mullin london ontario canada

I have long had an interest in American politics. This year represents an opportunity for the American people that has not existed for along time. As an outsider with no dog in the hunt I find myself amazed that Hilary feels the media is unfair. I have been irritated that the media has let her off the hook so often. Her shame on you tirade and her whining at the debate the other night make me very nervous. She often appears very upresidential in contrast to Obamas cool handling of attacks and criticism and he appears very presidential. The fortunes of our two countries are very much tied to each other and I hope that my faith in the american people is vindicated when the democrats choose Barack as their nominee, Thanks Jack I also enjoy you daily.

February 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  180. vince nizzardi, new Jersey

Jackzilla, at this point, it's moot, cause she's gettin' the boot

February 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  181. Bobby Atlanta, GA

Jack, ask yourself this...Considering she doesn't want Democratic primary voters to see her records...What is in there that would help her in a general election??? If there was any secret weapon in her own returns, she would have added it to the "kitchen sink". Obviously, she has something to hide.

February 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  182. Bukky, Baltimore

She is saying that she gained sooo much experience during her husbands presidency... but he wont tell us what she did. Might it be that she's did nothing...?

February 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  183. sandy

Yes, she should release them. If it had been Barack not releasing his......you and I both know the assumption will be that he is being funded by bad people. Wake up people, don't let the clintons do it to us once more......They are the only people who can do and say things and get away with it.....what a shame....... I am a democrat but I will never vote for Hillary........

February 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  184. Larry from NYC

Jack,

This has been out there for a while. She should have released everything a long time ago, especially if there is nothing to hide. While you folks in the mainstream media are at it, have you hammered Obama for his records? Has he released all of his income tax forms? What about his wife's? What did he do when he was a 'community organizer'? What were those activities? Can they really be explained. In other words, there should be full disclosure by both candidates. Fair is fair.

Larry, New York, NY

February 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  185. chuck cornett

Jack,this should tell how bad she wants to live back in the white house or not. The American public has the right to know these things she wants us to bote for her and back her in the general election but she wont be straight with us,who is she crappin any way, we have been kept in the dark to long about a lot of things, be straight with us Hillary we the people deserve at least that much!!!!!!!!!!! chuck

February 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  186. nii tettey

obviously there's something she doesn't want us to know about.

Would not be proud of your test scores to show off when you know you've aced it.

No matter how honest she thinks she is, this approach gives reason to be suspicios.

If we don't how how can we trust her and how could she lay claim to be the most vetted.

February 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  187. Dave C - NJ

It's very simple, folks.

If the tax returns and White House records would help her, we would see them now.

If they would hurt her, we will see them later...or not at all.

I will bet a years salary that Hillary will drop out before they are released, and we will never see any of it.

February 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  188. Amanda Mitchell

Yes, she should release them. Afterall she is tested and has nothing to hide, right? Her words, not mine.
    Amanda, Winston-Salem, NC

February 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  189. Rod

For anyone who was or is still undecided in the Democratic front, it should push you toward Obama simply because she breaches trust for me and my circle of friends.

Trust is something we don't have in our administration now.

Rod
    Clinton Township, MI

February 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  190. Patrick Peavy Plano,TX

I am a Hillary supporter. What I don't understand is why do people think there is something lurking in the shadows. If so wouldn't they flat out refuse to release the info? I would imagine it coming out at any time would be harmful if there is anything to even worry about so I don't really understand the huge need to have this information released. Unless people are just desperate for something to warp and twist to suit their own political agendas.

BTW-Jerry in Idaho is right. We have grown so used to taking scandal from the Bush Administration-Walter Reed,9-11 and his failure to bring the country together afterwards(we could have been so united as a country),Autopengate(Donald Rumsfeld),misrepresenting the threat Iraq posed to us(although I personally feel the war was worth it, it just should have been stated that we were going in there to take out Saddam Hussein),i am still waiting for the "soaring economy" he predicted a few years ago,Alberto Gonzalez,Halliburton,this is a litany of scandal and outright deception. The sad part it there are about 5 or 6 more that are right on the tip of my tongue that I can't even remember. How sad when you have too many to even remember.

At least with Hillary you know what you are getting. What new criticism has really been thrown at her that is really out of the ordinary for a Presidential campaign. I hope Barack and Michelle are prepared to be in the same boat as Hillary in Bill in 4-8 years if he does in fact become our next President. Who knows, maybe Michelle will even have some pride in her country by then.

February 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  191. Marvin Mason

It's obvious that the Hillary Clinton's has something to hide and to expose the tax returns now may hurt her politically. As they say, desperate people do desperate things. I respect Barack Obama for not taking advantage of this situation.

February 28, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  192. Ervin Perry

Jack,
    I am a Republican, and I don't see anything wrong with the Clinton's. I don't think she is hiding anything about her taxes nor do I believe she will do anything wrong I President. I just filed my taxes and I am still very much dissatisfied with the results. Leave her alone..Lets try to first decide who is the better candidate for President. Right now, I can't see any one of them on either party worthy...Its Obama or Clinton, or its McCain...I don't care about their taxes......

February 28, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  193. Donna B

Ok, Let's get Obama to release his papers . Oh that's right he does' nt have any, because he hasnt done anything. . ...and hopefully never will.

February 28, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  194. Ron

VERY important. Only reason she is stalling is to clean them up a bit.

February 28, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  195. Tammie

It's very important Clinton come clean & release her info. Welcome to the real world though, it won't happen. Good luck EVER getting it.
    Tammie
    Midland, MI

February 28, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  196. Clark Tyler (Hawaii)

Jack,
    If the press is unfair to Senator Clintion then why have they not been more aggressive in demanding that the American Poeple see her tax returns. Seems like the press has been giving her a pass on this important isssue.

February 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  197. Tyne from Colorado

I'm not sure that realeasing her tax returns will greatly impact the votes she will recieve. That being said, I wondered why the great champion of action is having such a hard time acting on honesty and full disclosure. Hmmmm...

February 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  198. Alex

It's not as this though she just found out yesterday that she was running for president. This issue was bound to come up at some time during her campaign and she should have been prepared. So much for "ready on day one".

February 28, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  199. Nancy from Minneapolis

I trust what she said at the debate. I find the way you pick on the slighest negative about Hillary to be infuriating! The good ole boys, both white and black, seem joined to obstruct Hillary's chances. Have you ever asked a "negative" question on your blog about Obama? If Hillary wins, it will be despite enormous barriers from traditional males and the institutions they dominate.

February 28, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  200. CUJOQUE

This is has become a bigger issue than it needs to be. She can put it to rest by simply releasing the documents and tax returns. End of story???

February 28, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  201. paul

If Senator Clinton wants people to trust her she has to show her tax records. It's funny that one of Ohio's biggest Clinton supporters defamed his opponent for not releasing tax information but it's ok for Hillary. Is this hypocritical or is it just the media's fault, gender bias, and Senator Obama's horrible tactics at work again? Why don't you ask how many more excuses and blame games the Clinton campaign will come up to avoid taking any kind of responsibility? Good for you not to allow them to hide from this one. It is very important to show the people there is nothing to hide and if the Clinton's will not show their income sources now you have to wonder what they are trying to cover up in private for it to take so long.

February 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  202. Pimacan 2

Failure to disclose suggests there is something to hide. She's had a long time to respond to this, and has stonewalled. I don't want another four years of investigations into the Clinton's financial dealings. Come clean now or drop out.

February 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  203. Heather, Raleigh NC

She should be treated like any other citizen and any other citizen would be required to release their returns. Also, she has not exactly been honest in the past about little things. If I question her honesty about little things or insignificant things, then what about matters of national security or matters that are less than pleasant. This is politics and there is no crying in baseball.

February 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  204. Alex, Pennsylvania

It’s not as this though she just found out yesterday that she was running for president. This issue was bound to come up at some time during her campaign and she should have been prepared. So much for “ready on day one”.

February 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  205. Jim , Oregon

Jack ,

It is absolutly critical that she releases everything pronto , we all want to know how much jail time she is facing.

February 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  206. Marjorie

Jack,
    You would think that after losing 11 in a row Hillary would understand that everything that's being perceived as positive would be in her interest . Every little thing helps. But no, she would not be Clinton if it were different. They do not know how to play straight. There is always something they do not want you to know. To me and a lot of my friends she is definitely hiding something.
    Marjorie
    New York

February 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  207. Michael

Tax returns! You're worried about tax returns? We have an energy policy that needs fixing, schools that need revamping, health care that needs restructuring, a foreign policy that makes sense, a planet that needs cooling, and a government that doesn't spend money like it grows on trees. With all of these problems, you are worried about tax returns? Come on Jack, inform us, educate us, and transform us into a well informed electorate that actually votes for politicians based on their stance on these issues and not whether or not Billary is hiding shady business deals. To quote Hillary so I am not charged with plagarism, the big issue of the previous week, "Shame on You!"

February 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  208. Greg, Athens

Jack, asking Hillary to tell the truth is like asking her to wear a dress. It won't happen pal!

February 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  209. Cheryl, Massachusetts

I think it is imperative that she release her tax records before March 4th if she expects undecided voters to consider her a credible alternative to Barack Obama. She was clearly dissembling when asked about both her taxes and her White House records. I fully understand that her 2007 taxes might not yet be available but certainly her 2006 taxes are. And how much "preparation" does she need to release them? They're already prepared. A photocopier or a scanner is all she needs to make them available – unless that is she needs to "doctor" them. She is running a platform based on her experience. Well perhaps her taxes and records will show that her experience really is nothing more than politics as usual. Certainly her refusal to release these records is.

February 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  210. Gmoney

I have a question for all the Clinton supporters: You can't even concede that the fact she didn't want submit them until after she was nominated, until it was a Democrat vs. Republican election rather than Democrat vs. Democrat primary, looks shady to anyone on the outside?

I predict she'll release them at noon the day before the primary, just early enough to say, "See?" but too late to get the information out–good or bad–to undecided voters.

February 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  211. Glenn

I understand that information is important and I do believe that the more information we have, the better...but for the good Lord's sake...will you get off Sen. Clinton's back? All you seem to do is criticize her mistakes and misteps, but yet turn a blind eye when it comes to Sen. Obama. She's had a few tumbles and she is definitely not a perfect person, but neither am I...are you? Answer truthfully or I may have to ask for a special prosecutor!! :)

February 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  212. Nora. South Texas

Jack, lets just say it, If it was Obama holding back his information or wanting to wait till this primary on March 4 th is over to release it, Hillary would be having one of her famous meltdowns. We all know that is true. The fact that they won't disclose this information sounds suspect at best otherwise why would they not provide that information. I thought after the debate people would of jumped all over that, but it seemed not to be a big deal. I am so happy you asked the question today, cause I think it does matter, and should'nt Barack Obama be screaming and yelling Shame on you Hillary!!!!

February 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  213. David, Gilbert Arizona

It is important only in regards to public perception. If Hillary does not release her tax records it looks as if she has something to hide even if everything is above board. The longer she stalls the worse the perception is.

If Hillary is going to run on a record of "35 years of experience" then she should do her best to ensure her records as first lady are released to the Bush Administration. By waiting to the last minute it gives a perception of scrubbing those records to hide any bad elements even if there really are none.

Public perception can easily over-ride facts.

February 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  214. Gina Racine, Wisconsin

Of Course this is important. Hillary likes to use her 35 years of "experience".....(which includes her 8 years as first lady) as the reason that she is "ready on day one" to lead this Country.

As for her financial situation......when you "loan" your campaign $5 Million dollars.....the voter's have a right to know where that money came from.

The Clinton's need to realize that WE THE PEOPLE want Transparency.

February 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  215. Kirk - Apple Valley, MN

Technically, it isn't a problem at all. But since you news media sharks are after Hillary's blood then it is the most important thing of the campaign. Why the hell do you keep picking on Hillary when she's answered the hard questions time after time, but you let the "rock star" slip and slide his way to the nomination?

February 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  216. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

It should be a requirement. For someone who complains about the media being so tough on her, she sure seems to be getting a pass from them on such an important issue.

February 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  217. Ezy--

SHE SHOULD NOT RELEASE THEM IF

THE SKY OPEN THE LIGHT COME DOWN
    CELESTIAL CHOIRES SINGING AND ASKING
    US TO TAKE HER ON HER WORDS

Ezy
    EDMONTON,AB,CANADA

February 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  218. Jim

It's imperative that Hillary fully disclose her supporters and tax returns to the voters and media. It is insulting to democrats to say that only if nominated will she make such disclosures, particularly when she is using private wealth to loan money to her campaign. A cloud of controversy still hangs over the Clintons from their White House years; the lack of openness only makes potential voters believe the cloud hides something meaningful.

February 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  219. Joy-Morrisville, NC

I don't understand the hesitation of the Clinton's in showing their tax returns or of her active performance of Hillary while in the white house. What are either one of them trying to hide from us? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? If the Clinton's can't come clean with the American people, why do we want to trust her in the White House, haven't we been deceived enough? This is getting old and tired rhetoric that most of us are longer interested in. You want to run our country, Hillary, be above board in your actions!!!!

February 28, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  220. INDY PENDENT

Jack seriously man this is simple.
    Lets see of that 35Million, she will repay herself for the 5Million she loaned herself plus interest. Sounds like Hillary is making Money Personally off her own Campaign.

Sort of telling when Romney loaned his campaign a ton of Money but did not charge interest or even repay himself with Campaign Donations.

Clinton Loans her Campaign Money, Charges interest for it and you the donators have just payed her back her 5 mill+interest.

She is definatley smarter then her supporters. Once she realized she's going to lose this, she figures she needs to start making some money off of you people.

Release the Tax Records Hillary so we can see how much you are benefitting from us Tax Payers

February 28, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  221. Pat Adams

This should have been done long ago. The Clintons are expert at hiding the truth from the public, until they are forced to lie. They have shown this tactic numerous times, and people, particulary categorized as "middle-aged white women who are uneducated" always believe her. I am an educated middleaged white woman who is not surpised that the Clinton machine continues to successfuloly dupe the public. Whats sad is, the very people in this demographic appear to still have stardust in their eyes. Sometimes we want to believe so much, that we think we are seeing what we want to believe. I think thats why Bill was so successful. He understands what the definition of IS really is. So sad. I see a trend since Tuesday that indicates to me Hillary has begun to work that strength again. I hope I am wrong.

February 28, 2008 at 3:50 pm |