February 27th, 2008

Changing your mind on Clinton or Obama?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Let's take inventory of where things stand in the Democratic race for the White House: The campaign is 13 months old, there have been 20 debates and 40 primaries and caucuses. But Texas and Ohio – along with Vermont and Rhode Island – could seal the deal next week in terms of making it impractical for Hillary Clinton to go on.

On the other hand, if Clinton pulls a rabbit out of the hat, and manages to win those states with 65% of votes, all bets are off and she's back in it. With Pennsylvania and the superdelegates still out there, she might still be able to pull it off.

When it comes down to it, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are very similar on many of the issues. They have minor differences on health care plans and their ideas on how to restart the economy.

Their major difference is on the war in Iraq. Obama opposed the war from the beginning while Clinton voted to authorize it. And during last night's debate, Obama landed one of the best punches of night when, referring to Hillary's vote to authorize the war, he said: "Once we had driven the bus into the ditch, there were only so many ways we could get out. The question is: Who's making the decision initially to drive the bus into the ditch?"

Here’s my question to you: What would it take to change your mind about Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Gerry from Pembroke Pines, Florida writes:
I've changed my mind about Hillary. I thought that she could withstand pressure, but the evidence is showing that she can't. I cannot see her in the White House.

Tom from Avon, Maine writes:
I'd have to find out that all the polls are wrong about Senator Clinton being the only Democrat that the Republicans can beat. I'd have to find out the media got it wrong when they reported Clinton believed George Bush not only on Iraq, but then about Iran. She might not be the most gullible person in the world, but from Avon, Maine she doesn't look like any Svengali.

Doug writes:
Dear Jack, The only thing that could make me change my mind and support Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton would be if Obama gained about 10 more years of experience between now and November. In most companies job searches, if two candidates are applying for the same job and have similar views and ideas, the candidate with the most experience should get hired.

Chuck from Amana, Iowa writes:
Outside of him committing a convenience store stick-up, I can't imagine why I wouldn't vote for Obama! Hillary's performance at the debate last night reminded me of a stern old schoolmarm. I think the dream ticket would be Obama and Chris Dodd, with Joe Biden as Secretary of State!

Gino writes:
An eloquent, empty speech will never change my mind. I am an intelligent person who believes words are just words; the last debate clearly showed me again Hillary is the only one qualified for the job.

Carol writes:
I have changed my mind, from McCain to Obama. I wouldn't vote for Hillary if someone offered to pay off my mortgage. She is condescending, divisive, arrogant and just plain annoying. Because of my admiration for Obama, I am voting Democratic in the election for the first time in over 45 years of my voting life.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jim Galvin

If Bill and Barry were caught in bed together, then I would most likely write to all of my American friends and urge them to support John.

February 27, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  2. Richard, Washington State

What would it take to change your mind about Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama?

Howard Dean allowing Florida or Michigan to be seated at the Democratic National Convention. If the DNC chooses to break their own rules, I might sadly switch to a protest vote.

February 27, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  3. Brian Burke

Dear Jack ,

I believe that it is outrageous that us senators; Obama, Clinton, and McCain can run for president without surrendering their seat in congress. These Individuals have wonderful ideas as president but are but are not carrying out these plans while in the senate which seems strange to me.....how bout you. If one of them were to act on these ideas that would convince me that they are serious people and deserve a vote.

Sincerely ,
    Brian Burke
    Delaware

February 27, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  4. Nicki, Detroit

My mind changed during the final debate. The only major difference between Clinton and Obama is experience (maybe health care too, a bit). It bothers me that Obama hasn’t been in Washington long enough to hold a single hearing on his foreign relations subcommittee. Nice guy, but he is only three years into his first major elected office. Even George Bush finished one full term as governor before seeking the presidency!

February 27, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  5. Tiffany from Greensboro, NC

Jack, Hillary has to prove that she is a more personable and sincere person. She comes across as a know it all, and if you do not follow her way, its the highway. She also seems divisive and she has split personalities. She nice one minute, a condescending B the next, and crying the third. She just might be too hormonal for the White House.

February 27, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  6. Bob R

Jack
    I'm locked in on Obama. No way to change my mind

February 27, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  7. Liz

I'm beginning to change my mind now with all of Hillary's ridiculous finger pointing. When is she going to "denounce" (or is it "reject") Bill Cunningham's support after he so demeaningly used Obama's middle name in his recent rant? Surely she should "reject" such support, as his comments feed into the racial profiling that is damaging our worldwide reputation. Hillary has really disappointed me....she had the experience and tanacity to win the nomination based on her own merits. Her recent attacks on Obama of late seem desperate and downright silly.

Liz
    Chicago, IL

February 27, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  8. Chuck

Outside of him commiting a convenience store stickup, I can't imagine why I wouldn't vote for Obama! Hillary's performance at the debate last night reminded me of a stern old schoolmarm. I think the dream ticket would be Obama and Chris Dodd, with Joe Biden as Secretary of State!

Chuck in Amana, Iowa

February 27, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  9. Brian From Fort Mill, S.C.

As an African American, I was originally leaning toward Hillary, because I believed that Obama would have a hard time to get whites to vote for him. But after he won Iowa, I was no longer worried about that. I've been supporting him ever since, and not a moment too soon.

Hillary is falling apart faster than wet toilet paper.

February 27, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  10. gerry

I've changed my kind about Hillary.

I thought that she could withstand pressure.But the evidence is showing that she can't.

I cannot see her in the White House, especially with Don Juan Bill on the loose.

Gerry
    Pembroke Pines, Florida

February 27, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  11. Paul

Jack,
    To see what she did last night, there won't be next time around for Hillary. She stopped talking about healthcare and went for "Reject-Denounce" thing. I followed her campaign today and did see where she asked John McCain to REJECT Trent Lott's endorsement!
    Jack, isn't this another moment of the "meaning of the word "IS""?
    Welcome to Billary Dictionary!

Chantilly, Virginia

February 27, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  12. BobW Rochester, NY

It would take a cold day in hell and major miracle. A cold day in hell for me change my mind about supporting Obama and major miracle for me to hold my nose and support Hillary.

February 27, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  13. Adrienne M New York

I was for Hillary, once upon a time. It wasn't the debate that turned me against her. It was Bill in South Carolina and then her post CNN debate performances.

Shame on you, Hillary Clinton!

February 27, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  14. Joe Johnson-Iowa

It's a good thing Hillary Clinton is always given the debate questions first
    so that Barack Obama can "parrot" her answers. "I agree with everything Hillary just said" Other wise the American People will be forced to realize he doesn't have an answer of his own.

So one could honestly say Hillary Clinton saves Barack Obama from looking like an "inexperienced" new comer with no ideas of his own.

so to answer your question jack, Obama could get over himself as the "messiah" and get on with some real talk on the issues as he sees them .

February 27, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  15. Josh

I honestly can go either way in regards to Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. Because they both have good ideas to fix this country and to end Bush's personal vendetta in Iraq. I honestly like both of them and it's differcult to decide which one. But I will try to make up my mind by next Tuesday in my state's primary. Sylvania Ohio.

February 27, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  16. Ellie Carter

WAY to late for Clinton to change my mind. Sen. Clinton's down fall was assuming she had this nomination in the bag from the start. They truly underestimated Sen. Obama and his articulate ability to connect with the American people.

There is a serious disconnect when I listen to Sen. Clinton during the debates and during her speeches. She's comes off very "moody" and ruffled. She relies on excuses and childish behavior unbecoming a Presidential nominee.

She's had 35+ years to change my mind. She could have started with voting NO on the war in Iraq.

February 27, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  17. Diane, New Hampshire

In 2000, when I lived in New York, I supported Clinton's bid for Senate. Now I support Senator Obama.

I would be more comfortable with Senator Clinton as a choice if she could demonstrate that she is not the polarizing figure everyone has known her to be for years. I would want to see a favorability rating that was substantially more positive than negative. How is Senator Clinton supposed to unite the country when everyone is split about even over who loves her and who hates her?

I would lose a lot of confidence in Senator Obama if he were revealed as an insincere person. Obama's policies are backed with optimism, something that no advisor or analyst can provide. If he were to lose that outlook and enthusiasm, I would not believe him to be the agent of change he claims to be.

February 27, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  18. Joe in DE

Some major new ideas on the economy or security such as:
    1. 1005 inspection of product from China, paid by importes until thy demonstrate that thy sre consistently meeting our health & safety standards. Maybe a 90 day moratorium on imports to add emphass and allow time to st-up the inspctions.
    2. A storng statement on port & border security – achiev within 1 year. Need to stop drugs & terrorist not to menion millions of illegas.
    A port security fee, paid y international shipping could pay a lot of the cost. It would also level the playing field for ubfair trade.
    3. A cut in business taxes for employeers with workforce of 55% or more US citizens (increasing for higher percentages). Paid by a general increase in Corporatetaxe

February 27, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  19. Paul

Jack,
    To see what she did last night, there won’t be next time around for Hillary. She stopped talking about healthcare and went for “Reject-Denounce” thing. I followed her campaign today and didn't see where she asked John McCain to REJECT Trent Lott’s endorsement!
    Jack, isn’t this another moment of the “meaning of the word “IS”"?
    Welcome to Billary Dictionary!

Chantilly, Virginia

February 27, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  20. Jenny M

Nothing and I mean NOTIHNG could change my mind and make me vote for Hillary. If Obama doesn't win the nomination I will vote for Nader.

February 27, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  21. nadia, seattle

If John Edwards were to reenter the race.

February 27, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  22. clarity

Obama – 8 years experience as a VP!

February 27, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  23. Mary

Nothing would change my mind from voting for Hillary Clinton to voting for Obama. All he does is talk and preach about hope and dreams and it is a shock to me that people actually are falling into that. We need a realist and leader in the white house to clean up the mess left by the Bush Administration. We can guarantee that Hillary Clinton will fix this economy because we are already saw it happen after the mess left from the first Bush. We cannot take another chance on an inexperienced person like Obama. America cannot afford to go through that again.

February 27, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  24. Matthew Gatto

Hillary would have to act like she actually cares about the party union and run a civil campaign without giving herself a five million dollar loan. She does that and I'll vote for her in November. If not, then I'll be deeply divided between her or Nader in November.

As for Obama...I'll probably vote for him in November just to get out of Iraq but I'd like more details in his speeches about the economy. Also I'd like to note that I'm VERY encouraged by how well run his campaign is.

Seminole. Florida

February 27, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  25. Colleen

Oh yes it has. I've come to see how Obama cares nothing for the job he now holds and is only worried about being president. His so-called stance on not going to war – a speech while he was trying to win the Illinois Senate seat. Thats right a SPEECH no vote a SPEECH. Quite different than having to vote. Head of the Nato sub-committee NO meeting – to busy running for president. Let's not forget all the votes he's missed or just not voted on because he's been campaigning. Apparently more important than the job he was hired for in Washington. But yet he had time to write two books but no time to vote.

Doesn't he have a responsibility to the citizens of Illinois? What has he done in the Senate? All I have ever heard from him is an ethics bill. AND????

What makes anyone think that if he can't handle getting back to Washington for important votes, calling for a committee meeting that he can multi-task enough to be president? Doesn't look like it to me.

Also why does he only claim to be African-American? He has a WHITE mother and was raised by WHITE GRANDPARENTS but yet he only claims the black side of the family. His black father left when he was 2!

February 27, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  26. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Nope. I still want to get rid of the establishment, which means saying a fond goodbye to Hillary Clinton. Too bad, too. She has some good points.

February 27, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  27. Emily Coletta from Elmira, New York

If Hillary Clinton divorced Bill Clinton-that would make me change my mind about her and support her.

February 27, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  28. Ray - NJ

Nothing Hillary or no one!

February 27, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  29. SCOTT

NOTHING, THERE KOOL-AIDE TASTE FUNNY
    UNDESIDED INDEPENDENT

February 27, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  30. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

Jack. When it comes to Hillary Clinton, she would have to become an Obama clone. Having listened to all her speaches as well as Obama's speaches; I find her boring and like many of my past professors (they put me to sleep). She does not inspire me to dream, or to believe in what she is saying, where as Obama does. Its all in the delivery, the personality, and believing in what your saying. Hillary having changed her message, delivery technique and tactics so many times makes me to wonder if she even knows what she believes in or what she is doing. No offense I admire her for her work (dont agree with some of it), but it is time for radical change and I associate her with the past (she has been around too long) . To change my mind about Obama, he would have to be proven to be a liar (something I detest in people). Trust me when I say this, I have tried to find all the dirt I can on both of them to help me make up my mind, and I have been unable to find anything of significance on either. The only real distinction I can find is Old vs New. Barack being fairly new to politics, and Hillary having been around the block way too many times. To be blunt and honest, America need a new direction, someone with new fresh ideas and someone that can cross party lines and get the job done. I see that in Obama, and I just dont see that in Clinton. BTW, I am voting Democrat for the first time in my life.

February 27, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  31. Redhart in Tehachapi, Calif.

You can learn a lot about a candidate by how they respond when they are down. Hillary this week, behaved like a 17 year old girl who just learned her high school rival won prom queen instead of her. That is not what I look for in a president.

As a democrat, what would it take to change my mind from Obama to Hillary?

Obama having a massive coronary.

February 27, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  32. Dave Brooklyn, NY

I would have to see two things: 1) Hillary would have to appear with a halo over her head, and 2) Obama would have to grow horns on his forehead and a pitchforked tail.

February 27, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  33. Hayato

I'm for Barack Obama, but if Hillary can socialize healthcare and make it free for all, I may change my mind.

February 27, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  34. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

John McCain for sure couldn't change my mind about Hillary or Barack, Bloomberg is a possibility.

February 27, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  35. Karen

I'm from Crownsville, MD. There's nothing that will change my mind about Hillary. I liked her long before she decided to run for President and will continue to support her - it's too bad she had to run against Barack. He's an eloquent speaker and that's it. If Barack Obama wins the nomination, I'll vote for him in the general election in Nov. only because I want to remain loyal to the party and there is absolutely no way I will vote Republican.

February 27, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  36. Carol Canty

My mind has always been for Hillary Clinton, and always will be for her because she is still the best candidate for the job. Senator Clinton's experience out weighs Obama's by a land slide. And, I no longer vote for candidates just because they are black. I don't understand anyone who would even compare the two individuals -when it comes to who best qualify for the job. If Senator Clinton is not chosen to be the Democratic Nominee in August, I will look forward to sitting out this Presidential Election come November.

February 27, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  37. Stacy

You know.. I honestly don't know wat could change my mind about Barack Obama. It certainly isn't any mud that Clinton slings at him. It onlymakes her look even worse and him look better.

I suppose if Obama were to sound like Mike Huckabee or John McKain I would change my mind. But since I know, and beleive that he is what he says he is , that wont' happen. So i am on Obama's team for good.

February 27, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  38. barb rickard

Nothing at this point in time could sway me to Obama. Especially the "oh, what a feeling he gives "–words no matter how he try's to motivate are just truly only words not reality and common sense. History has been written and the Clinton's know what to do on economy. I lived thru it and didn't know one person who lost their home to foreclosure until the last 2 years where I now know several. Everyone has a dream, but the American Dream has been lost and Obama has not proven that he can repair it. This is not about change and hope. If hope is all he has we are in deep trouble and we need to remember his wife, who would become the first lady,wasn't proud of her country which is made up by the people until her husband ran for office.–the people he promises to rescue. You can make up all the excuses in the world for her but she said it, said it more than once and knew exactly what she was saying. Anyone who wants on that bandwagon of his hope & change needs to use their head instead of their heart and warm & fuzzy feeling.

February 27, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  39. Adam, WI

An actual, physical, change of mind.

February 27, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  40. chuck cornett

Jack,I think that if she had a "38" pointed to my head well than no that wont even work. love chuck

February 27, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  41. Richard, Toronto

Integrity – Obama would have to lose some and Hillary would have to show some. She lost me at Florida – I don't trust politicians who claim false victories in that state.

February 27, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  42. Charlie Opperman, New Bremen, OH

Jack,

If they became running mates. In that scenario, Ralph for President!

February 27, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  43. Ikem Umealo

I am an Obama supporter from the moment he declared his ambition to bring change to America.And because i have always leaned towards Mr Bill Clinton, which i have extended to Hillary, there is noting that i believe will make me change my mind. I have read two of Mrs Clintons books: Living History and It takes a village. I have also read Mr Obama's The Audacity of hope and Dreams From My Father, so i can say with some degree of conviction that i made an informed choice.

Ikem Umealo
    York, UK

February 27, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  44. Delmar

Jack,,
    As a 66 Y.O. white male, and veteran,, I am fully decided to vote for Obama,,, HOWEVER,, If a major war breaks out and me and Hillary are the only two who remains on earth then I will vote for her... well maybe not.... DEL.... in Rural Missouri

February 27, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  45. GB in Los Angeles, California

I'm a staunch Obama supporter (even though I'm in Hillary's supposed contingency of being a white over-50 female), and I can't see that anything could change my mind. Hillary is a self-centered whiner who uses the word "I" in just about every sentence. Obama looks at the big picture and talks about what "we" can do to change our lives and our country and our country's standing in the world. When he talks about his views or policies, it is in terms of how it would affect "us". Obama is truly someone who can bring the country together, which we desperately need in these times where nearly everyone feels disenfranchised in one way or another.

February 27, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  46. Janet

For Barack to actually turn some water into wine, carry it over the great lakes on foot, and feed the masses from his front lawn. Oh, and through in Farrakhan and the weatherunderground guy as servers.

Janet
    Mississippi

February 27, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  47. Jennifer Collins

I am a Barack Obama supporter and I don't think there is anything now that could change my support for him. If someone had anything on him, Hilary would have let it be known.

February 27, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  48. CRAIG R. MCNEES

A HELL OF A LOT MORE DRUGS THAN I AM ON NOW. EVEN THEN, I DOUBT I COULD EVER BE THAT STUPID.

February 27, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  49. Amy Conley

Hillary Clinton would have to stop acting like she was somehow entitled to be the Democratic candidate. All of her whining and complaining about the blatant media bias and unfair treatment comes across as the petulant tantrums of a child denied a long anticipated popsicle. Hardly the hardened, tried, and vetted Washington veteran she proclaims herself to be. It hardly needs be added that, had Barack Obama made similar complaints in the debates, the Clinton campaign would have pounced on such statements as a sign of his inability to hold up in the general election. We've all seen what happens to this country when the president's ego ends up deciding policy, rather than the needs of the American people. No thank you.
    If Hillary wants my vote, she would have to stop acting as if her victory is so ensured that she doesn't need to hear what I have to say.

February 27, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  50. tom

JACK,
    WHAT WOULD CHANGE MY MIND?!
    HOW ABOUT A ROMANTIC AFFAIR BETWEEN THEM MADE PUBLIC! NOW GUESS WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOREST HILLS, PA

February 27, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  51. Bert

For me to change my mind, Barack and Hillary would have to actually support things that would help American Workers. Their current positions on Illegal Immigration will only continue to devistate the American Middle Class and hurt American Workers of all races and favor institutionalizing slave labor.

Oak View, CA

February 27, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  52. Patricia

If I've said once I've said it 1,000 times, John Edwards would have been the better choice to be President. But, I've also said I will go ahead & vote for the Democratic nominee, because any Democrat is better than any Republican. We will not let John McCain make American troops occupy & become targets of bin Laden & his cronies for the next 100 years.
    Patricia
    Palmdale, Ca.

February 27, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  53. Terrance Craion

Nothing at this point, the difference between Senators Clinton and Obama, in terms of policy, is like splitting hairs. Deserved or not Sen Clinton is polarizing and has not run a smart campaign, despite her advantage in experience and name recognition. Sen Obama has that unique ability to persuade people, regardless of race, ethnicity, and class, along with enough political savvy to take on Sen Clinton. If Sen Obama is the nominee you can only tip your hat to him, because he has run one of the smartest campaigns in US history for the highest office in the land!

Detroit, MI

February 27, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  54. George Wilson

I am a 71 year old male who has seen many polititians come, and go, but nothing will change my mind about my support for Mrs. Clinton. She may not be the apple in the eyes of the media, but that will not deter me from giving her my full, and undivided support. The media doesn't know everything, they just want you to think they do. You may fool others, but you won't fool me again. Been there, done that. Shame on me if I let you sway me in any way about anything religious, or political. The media has no right to try to rig an election, but they are sure trying.

February 27, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  55. Sanika

Less bizarre behaviour from Hillary could change my mind about her....but then that in itself would be bizarre!!

February 27, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  56. Peggy

I like both Clinton and Obama. However, I lean towards Obama because I like his approach to looking beyond party lines to what the people want/need. Also, I think his commitment to getting people involved is much needed. The fact that GW Bush was elected can only be understood if we concede that the people allowed themselves to be misinformed and dulled into a stupor by sheer boredom for the political process. What would it take for me to turn to Clinton? If Obama is convicted of a crime or becomes psychotic.

February 27, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  57. L.M.,Arizona

If the republicans let any dirt on Obama slip out before tuesday's election. They are the only ones that can dish the dirt on Obama.

February 27, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  58. Nish

The race is pretty much over. Sen. Obama has won. Let's save time, money and effort by asking Sen. Clinton to drop out for the sake of the unity of the Democratic Party and the country. Anything else would jeapordize the chances of Sen. Obama winning in November. It is going to be difficult to beat John "100 years in Iraq" McCain. Sen. Clinton needs to help Sen. Obama win in November and then win herself in 2016.

Nish
    Minneapolis

February 27, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  59. Jorge from Monterey, California

Jack,
    No... I am with Barack and this debate just confirmed my decition!! if it did something, it only make me feel sorry for Hillary... she really think it's her RIGHT to have this nomination, she doesn't understand why people don't like her! or why they will like some one young... I think she doesn't remember the Bill Clinton campaign in 92'.

February 27, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  60. Terry, Chandler AZ

I am glad to be a Barakamaniac. I cannot imagine switching to Hillary. However, a scenario that might prompt at least thinking changing my mind would be if Hillary would: 1) admit her vote for approval of the war in Iraq was strickly political, done only to avoid negative publicity. 2) denounce and disassociate heself from the Washington DC status quo 3) somehow procure the excitement, leadershp, hopeful feeling that Barak has, 4) be honest 5) demonstrate confidence......
    Looks like I will not change Jack.

February 27, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  61. Bill in St. Cloud, FL

Severe head trauma.

February 27, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  62. James in Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    If you ask Clinton supporters it would require the media stop favoring Obama and start basking in the glow of Hillary. But I don't buy that BS. I see a woman who has dug herself into a hole with her vast experience and a young man not tied down to big buisness and Washington insiders. Who's offering transparency at all levels of government and wanting Americans to get involved. I'm an Independant voter, tired of both democrats and republicans and even I see the incredible opportunity we have in Obama. But I'm sure Hillary and her supporters will continue to rage, rage against the dying of the light until Americans cry out in one loud voice, YES WE CAN!

February 27, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  63. paul

One thing that might change my mind is John McCain changing his stand on tax cuts, the Iraq War, Supreme Court Justices, and taking money and favors from Wall Street lobbyists. Changes on these issues would make me have to back up and reevaluate the options, but we know that will never happen because I'm pretty sure he is stuck in his ways.

February 27, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  64. David of Natchez MS

Well, I have changed my mind so much since all this started, first I was for Ron Paul, then Hillary, then Biden, Edwards and now Obama. I left Ron because he didn't have enough spine for me, Hilary got this supior attitude that turned me off her, Biden and Edwards dropped out. Down to Obama, if he doesn't start anything different I am going to stick with him.

February 27, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  65. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

I'd have to find out the media got it wrong when they reported Senator Clinton believed George Bush not only on Iraq, but then about Iran. She might not be the most gullible person in the world, but from Avon, Maine he doesn't look like any Svengali.

February 27, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  66. Katie from NC

I have been an Obama supporter atleast since last fall. However, all of my faith in him is riding on trust. I BELIEVE that he has been honest with us. I BELIEVE he wants a new kind of politics. I BELIEVE he will reach across the isle and get more done in Washington. I BELIEVE he is running FOR the American people, and not for himself. If something came out to truly discredit his honesty, I would be heartbroken and migght consider switching over. If that didn't happen, the only way Hillary would win me over is some extraordinary showing of anti-robotic behavior.

February 27, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  67. Jed from Chico, CA

Let's say I support Obama. For me, I would have to see one of two things. 1.) Obama would have to become a completely unviable candidate either through outrageous scandal or unthinkable personal tragedy 2.) Hillary can pay me $1 million to vote for her. Yes folks, my vote can be bought, but not cheaply.

February 27, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  68. joli

Nope dont support either of them. Its like Cunningham stated... the only change your gonna see is the change thats left in your pocket.

February 27, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  69. Jindu Houston Tx

Nothing. But it would help if Hillary tells me WHY i should objectively vote for her instead of giving me a barrage of reasons why i shouldn't vote for Obama.

February 27, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  70. Brian - NY, NY

I'm an Obama supporter. For me to change my mind about Hillary, she'd have to get a brain transplant. Actually, we both would.

February 27, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  71. Bill in St. Cloud, FL

I have already changed my mind. I'm a Republican, but may very well vote for Obama in the general election. McCain's arrogance and reliance on the Iraq war surge results as a platform for national security is too much for me. I'm retired from the Army, and I 'm disgusted with the toll that war is taking on our troops and their families. I fully support our military – but I no longer support our presence in Iraq.

February 27, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  72. Kevin

Obama always agrees with Clinton on debates when a hard question is asked. He does not has the experience to be President yet.

February 27, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  73. Alex Smith, NC

From a Hillary supporter, Mr. Obama would have to gain experience and that is something he can not do. He would have to come up with some amazing ideas "FIRST" and not follow Hillary, and he will not and has not done that. I don't trust him and to me trust is very important. He gets the nomination and McCain gets my vote.

February 27, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  74. stan

jack i now support obama, if you saw last nights debate and hillary sometimes impatient and restless demeanor, you could tell who would make a better commander-in-chief, obama seemed cool, calm and collected and answered his questions intelligently!

February 27, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  75. joli

Obama needs to start cutting the crap about changing Washington...from what I remember he didnt seem to have a problem with the way Washington was run until he had to run for the president. Lobbyist ties... PAC $$ hes just as guilty of it as the rest of them. Just because you take the money one person removed from the Corporation and or Lobbyists doesnt make the the money any cleaner.

February 27, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  76. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Hillary would have to have a spiritual experience, then prove to me and many other million people that she has changed over a four year period before I'd even consider voting for her in 2012. But before this could happen she'd have to admit her wrongs and strive to live a complete different life, one of selflessness, not selfishness and
    self-centeredness. She's so sick that she doesn't even know shes sick. Her performance last night was disgusting.

February 27, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  77. angie

It took him 17 yrs to pay parking tickets... thats some slow change

February 27, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  78. Allen L Wenger

I don't think there is enough time left in this election cycle to change my mind. We have had 7 years of bad government, incompetence, arogance, secrecy, and no accountability. I don't see how anyone could imagine either of these 2 politicians being anything other than a step in the right direction.

February 27, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  79. Sam (washington,DC)

Jack, It's simply to late. Hillary has had her chance to win my vote, but she lost it. I'm trying to figure out why is it that I feel like I really know and trust Barack Obama and I've never heard of him until the last year or so. It seems that hillary has failed to connect with people after all these years.I think that hillary should stop trying to change minds this late in the election year. She's always making fun of Barack Obamas speeches, but I'll tell you what...His speeches is rich with meaning,vision,hope,and it's about bringing America back together. but Hillary is still Yealling " I HAVE EXPERIENCE" she needs to stop before we have a broken Party in August.

February 27, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  80. Janie

If Hillary would propose true universal health CARE, I might be swayed. Sadly, both candidates have universal health INSURANCE schemes which will continue to reward the insurance companies who have caused all the problems in the first place. If we quit fueling the corporate jets and put the cash into keeping people healthy, the end result would be everyone covered at an affordable price. Interested parties should read HR 676 which is cooling its heels in the House of Representatives.

February 27, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  81. Dale Wise

I suppose if someone were to transplant Obama's brain into Hillary's skull, then I would switch to supporting Clinton.

February 27, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  82. Jason King/Baton Rouge, LA

Jack,

At this point nothing could change my mind. Barack Obama is clearly the choice in this election. He is smarter, more honest, and quite frankly more likeable than Hillary. She is a whiner. She loves to throw a brick and hide her hand, but cries when she gets hit in the head with her own brick. This display of her inconsistency throughout this campaign shows me that she just isn't ready. We will have a female president one day, but NOT Hillary Clinton!!!! She just doesn't cut it.

February 27, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  83. Eugene Womack Northern California

Jack, last nights debate, in Ohio changed my support, from Clinton, to Obama. It was pathetic, to hear a presidential candidate, blame Saturday Night Live and our nation's news media, for her poor performance, at the polls. For decades, Hillery has blamed an alleged, "Right Wing Conspiracy" for all her problems but now blames the press. A presidential candidate must take responsibility, for their actions and not continually blame others. Hillary appeared weak and selfish last night, as well as, very unpresidential.

February 27, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  84. Richard Sternagel

Jack, I am biased in favor Barack Obama who correctly stated that Clinton had authorized Bush to go to war with Iraq with her vote ! We need a President with better judgement: Barack Obama!

February 27, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  85. Deborah-Grant, Michigan

I like Obama and nothing Hillary could do would change my mind. She needs to take her bat and ball and go home.

February 27, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  86. Chris

No. I have been for Barack from the beginning. I would vote for Bozo the Clown over Old Man River McCain. Wait, Bozo's already in the White House!

Thousand Oaks Ca

February 27, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  87. Beth, Alabama

Jack,
    I'm am absolutely 100% settled on my support of Obama. The only way I would vote for Clinton in the general is if she somehow pulled ahead in the pledged delegates in a fair manner. Any attempt to have superdelegates or MI/FL delegates overturn the will of the pledged delegates to win the nomination will have me stay home in November.
    Beth
    Alabama

February 27, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  88. Thomas, Tallahassee FL

They would have to care about enforcing our borders, not raising taxes, drop the class warfare mentality, cut entitlements instead of increase them, and not put health care into the hands of the government. I just don't see any of that happening, Jack.

February 27, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  89. Tammie

I was for Clinton until she went negitive & didn't care if she hurt the party or not. I don't think there is anything she can do to get me back. Even if Obama were to drop out, I would go Republican for the first time in my life.

Tammie
    Midland, MI

February 27, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  90. joli

Seriously... are you all playing favorites no the posts as well cus Ive tried posting this 4 times!!!

February 27, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  91. Roger

YOU BET your a,,,,,,,,,,,,, JACK I AM A LIFE TIME DEMOCRAT ALSO A VIET NAM VET but if obama is our nominie i will vote republican for the first time in my life thanks to the news medias biased reporting

February 27, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  92. christin

Before I knew Obama I assumed I would vote for Hillary. During the last few months seing all the tactics the clinton campaign has tried I thought if Obama doesn't win there is no way I would support someone like Hillary. After the last debat I can see that side by side they are both amazing, two totally different styles but both can accomplish so much.

I am still supporting Obama because I want to see his kind of presence in the white house, but if it is Clinton I won't be upset.

Washington DC

February 27, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  93. Rob in CA

When Hillary's tactics slid into the mud, I moved to Obama.

February 27, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  94. Cheryl, Upstate, NY

No changing my mind!!
    "OBAMA 08"
    All the way!!

February 27, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  95. minnie

i still think hillary has it all. she can handle things well.i am not bothered about her mood swings.bush didn't have those mood swings.right? so ? what does that prove?

February 27, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  96. Rosalynd

Not changing my mind on voting for Barack! He is the right candidate for the Democratic nomination and for President 08. I like where he stands on the issues with the extra edge given that he is open minded in his view of talking to leaders the US are at odds with and I believe he can be more of a unifier than Hillary and McCain.

Independent Voter
    Orlando Florida

February 27, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  97. Helen Gissman

I have watched every debate and I agree with Hillary Obama just listens and either agrees with her or adds a few statements after taking a few pauses. He doesn't seem to have any good plans
    People should realize that this is serious and ot a popularity contest. Look at the issues, experience and who could lead us.

February 27, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  98. Elida Solis

Absolutely, the media is being tough on Hillary. Just look at the pictures they take of her. Usually her pictures show her being somber, defensive and there are very few pictures of her smiling. I think the media has a lot to do with how we perceive a candidate.

February 27, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  99. M. Alfred

To change my mind about Hillary Clinton:

1. She would have to stop chanting her mantra "We need a president ready on day one to be commander-in-chief and I have 35 years experience making change." blah...blah...blah...

2. She would have to be running against J. Liebermann and/or anyone from the unpalatable Republican herd.

February 27, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  100. Keith

My mind is already made up, Jack. I once supported Hillary, now I don't... And, I'm NOT voting for McCain. Pretty simple, isn't it?

February 27, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  101. Burt

Jack,

It is Hillary, for sure. If Hillary is not the nominee, then it is McCain. At least you know where he stands on the issues!

Burt

February 27, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  102. Tom, Y-town, OH

I couldn't change my mind. Hillary is a fighter, but the only problem is she fights like a girl. Sorry Jack, but I've heard too much of female whining already in my life time and it's starting to reek out of Hillary.
    She gave it a good shot until she got behind and now we are beginning to see the real Hillary. The United States is NOT yet ready for a female President of Hillary's likes......when we do get a good female candidate, it will be a comparison to the likes of Jesse Jackson vs Barack Obama. Night and Day.

February 27, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  103. Julie VanDusky

Nothing. In fact, I am strongly considering voting Green from now on. I just don't identify with Democrats anymore. I cannot identify with a group of people who feel bad for a man who gets caught cheating but then gets mad at his wife for staying with him. I cannot identify with people would punish Hillary more for the 1992 insurance failure and Bill less, even though he was the one in charge! I cannot identify with women who would rather vote for a man with no clear message on his website about what he would do to deal with women's problems over someone who has a clear message about what she has done and what she will do for women if elected. Actually, after thinking about this, I am not a Democrat anymore. The Green party supports what I believe in and isn't sexist.

February 27, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  104. Kate

Nothing! Barack Obama deserves my vote and has it!

Since South Carolina, Hillary has shown she can't and won't unite the country. Instead we've seen that she'll do anything and say anything to win, regardless of whether it hurts the country or the Democratic party.

Time for a president who can bring people together! Time for Barack Obama!

February 27, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  105. Bo

Experience does not change a nation. HOPE does! I strongly believe this now more than ever (especially after Hillary's negative attacks on Obama)

February 27, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  106. California Independent

No one has changed their minds nor will they. The same people that dislike Clinton continue to dislike her. The same people that dislike Obama will continue to dislike him.

The same individuals keep claiming to change their minds but don't have the intelligence to change their name in the comment field.

February 27, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  107. joli

Obama needs to start cutting the crap about changing Washington…from what I remember he didnt seem to have a problem with the way Washington was run until he had to run for the president. Lobbyist ties… PAC $$ hes just as guilty of it as the rest of them. Just because you take the money one person removed from the Corporation and or Lobbyists doesnt make the the money any cleaner.

Seriously… are you all playing favorites no the posts as well cus Ive tried posting this 4 times!!!

February 27, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  108. Maria

America had been fooled once because of Media's doing. They gave us George Bush and iraq. They didnt do their job.
    Shame on the Media, and now they are glazing obama so we can buy it. Once again, had obama been a woman and compared to Senator Clinton, then obama will lose.

wake up america, let us support hillary and stick it to the media.

February 27, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  109. Nancy (Cleveland Ohio)

Nothing will change my mind. I am a registered Republican who is voting for Obama. Hillary's performance and ever-changing tactics over the past few weeks demonstrate that she will do anything to win - politics as usual! The disengenous concern about voters being heard in Michigan and Florida put me over the edge. When she was in New Hampshire, she agreed that they should be stripped of their votes. Funny how her desire for them to be heard arose when she was desperate for a strategy to win the nomination.

February 27, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  110. Ruby Coria, CA.

Jack, nothing..I don't like the way Obama stutters and I the way The Hill screams. I like Obama's preacher/man style and I like The Hill's goals. But regardless Old/New, they are both Washington Trash, that should pay for their own GAS.

February 27, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  111. Susan, Pennsylvania

Can't be done, Jack. I have supported Obama since he announced his campaign.

Susan, State College PA

February 27, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  112. tmp_mpls

Hillary has the experience to deal the Washington Politics unlike Obama. She has worked on controversial stuff.
    For the best job in the country we need experience. Nobody will get a job as a CEO of any company with out experience.
    The country in recession and value of dollar falling.
    Obama can not learn on the job we don’t have luxury of time. We need some who knows what to do on day one.

February 27, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  113. Jenny

I heard that the presidential candidates are going to be required to take drug tests. Has anyone else heard this? It is about time we all are treated equally.

I also heard that with Obama’s stature in the democratic party, one step away from his party’s nomination, affirmative action will now go by the wayside. Does anyone have a web site for the movement that is fostering this movement?

February 27, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  114. Mike

I will stay with Hillary and if Obama get the nomination. I will vote for McCain.

February 27, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  115. Paulette Bent Dallas,PA

Hillary Clinton is frustrated because she knows exactly what is going on. Many people are taking revenge on her because of her husband. Too many deals have already been made and there are promises to keep now. Texas and Ohio will tell the tale of Hillary. Once she'sout of the picture the Republicans will have at Obama and the U.S. will be stuck with Republican McCain. The rich will continue to get richer and God help the poor!

February 27, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  116. Karen

No. What's Obama going to do in the White House without Hillary to whisper in his ear. If he is unable to accomplish anything, at least he has the excuse that it wasn't his policy.

February 27, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  117. Ms. Emily

I will NEVER change my mind about Hillary, although I may never again support the rest of the "follow the leader" scaredy-cat Democrats. If he gets the nomination, she should run as an independent... what the heck, the Republicans are going to win anyway. The race card will win in the end.... and it's positively sad that sexism is every bit as prevalent as racism.... in this century! It will be a sad day if he gets the nomination, because it speaks to the level of ignorance in this country. Itr's no wonder we are failing on all fronts.
    God help us all!!!

February 27, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  118. David,San Bernardino,CA.

No nne is going to change their minds at this stage. But the only difference is that now we need someone who knows what they are doing and can start repairing the damage done by Bush/Cheney.right away We certainly don't need another inexperienced novice who has never run or led anything of importance.

February 27, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  119. John, Florida

Since they agree on 95% of the issues what's the real choice that people are after. Personality, Experience, Inspiration, i wish people would come to grips with the totally true reality that it's all more of the same. Obama and Clinton have both changed positions, but why question that, after all that's what we'v learned politicans do best. Clinton may think she needs to appear tuff, when Regan and bush did it nobody had a problem. Obama want's to perform miracels while Huckabee is waiting for one. This is all completly ridiculus and it's very ironic that people can display such hatred, thus blinding themselves from the truth.

February 27, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  120. Candace

The most important issue for me is that we don't have another Bush in office. With that being said.....Not even a million dollars could make me support Hillary.

Cambridge, MA

February 27, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  121. Rachel

The only thing that would make me vote for Obama over Clinton would be if Hillary dropped dead before next Tuesday. And even then it would be a stretch.

Youngstown, OH

February 27, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  122. Ryan Murphy

Well Jack, for me to change my stance on Hillary Clinton I would need to see a refreshed mindset from Senator Clinton and her campaign staff. As a part of America’s youth I am sick of being told that we do not know enough to make an informed decision in this election. Senator Clinton’s focus on discrediting Obama through negative and often untrue campaigning has left many of us hoping for a new sort of politics. Hillary is an extremely intelligent, tactful, and experienced candidate. But if Senator Hillary does not start telling us why Hillary instead of why not Obama, she will be wondering why she is out of the race.

Ryan Murphy
    Detroit, MI

February 27, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  123. Carol Quinley

Nope,,I'm for Obama and was for Obama from the first Primary. I'm one of those people that refuses to accept or vote for Hilllary. I have already lived through a one Clinton administration and it is time for a new approach. I voted for Bill,,,will never, ever vote for Billary. I have now seen their true colors. I was one of the ones who was duped by slick Willy–to think I used to really believe in him. unbelievable now.
    Carol Quinley
    Ann Arbor Mi

February 27, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  124. Stacy Leesburg, VA

A few shots of whiskey a few glasses of beer and an open electronic voting booth. One should not vote under the influence, but between all the catfights, half-truths, lies, and name-calling...why not push a button and elect a politican Las Vegas style? We could get comp'd a guest suite or end up in the poorhouse but either way we are set!

February 27, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  125. Kevin- Webster, MA

I pretty much haven't changed my opinion of Hillary. Never liked her never will. Barack would have to have some skeleton come out of his closet that would devistate him or he will sail on.

February 27, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  126. Bonnie

Not a thing. After watching 20 debates that all have the same information (nothing new), I'm voting for CHANGE...a WOMAN. Men have messed this country up enough. She's qualified as are the others. I'm voting for a CHANGE OF GENDER. All women should standup and be counted just like we did when we pushed for the right to vote. This is where the real change is in this election cycle and I'm amazed that more women are not recognizing it.

February 27, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  127. Acacia from Philadelphia, PA

I used to think that either Clinton or Obama would be great, but Clinton's behavior of late has changed my mind. I wish she would stop talking about "getting real" and get real herself: she is crying because she wanted to win and she isn't winning, NOT because she's afraid Obama is going to ruin America with his supposed lack of inexperience. If she'd just own up to that... admit she wanted to be the first woman president, that it's tearing her up that that might not happen, and apologize for her outbursts saying that her own passion gets in her way sometimes, then I would have a lot of sympathy for her, and ultimately wouldn't be so terrified at the prospect of her obtaining the nomination. I know she's qualified, and she'd probably do the country a lot of good as president if she won, but so long as she insults my intelligence by claiming that Obama is so unqualified that the prospect of him being president moves her to tears, I can't bring myself to vote for her.

February 27, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  128. Shaun Amherst, MA

If I happened to drink the grape kool-aid, I'd support Obama

February 27, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  129. Anne

I already have changed my mind. I do this on a regular basis, at least once a day. I just can't decide whether to vote for Clinton or Obama, and the Texas primary is less than a week away. I'm just looking for the one who can win the general election. I'm sick, sick, sick of this Republican administration.

Anne
    Texas

February 27, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  130. Dolly

Very little, Jack very little!
    All I would need is a candidate who doesn't preach entitlements we can't afford OR even more important, an immigration plan that will not break the backs of US taxpayers OR a candidate that doesn't pander to the special interests. That's all I need, Jack and I would drop either of them PLUS McCain. Is LOU DOBBS running??
    Dolly
    MT

February 27, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  131. Jawed Khan from: Ashburn, VA

If Hillary would stop being petty, I would vote for her instead, BUT that's never going to happen so GOBAMA!!!

February 27, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  132. Bruce St Paul MN

At this point, it would take something shocking. Can Hillary Clinton suddenly show me the character that I want in a leader? Will Barack Obama display some secret allegiance to the coporate underworld? I don't see it happening. This campaign began so early that we know about as much as we are going to know about the candidates. The voters who are still undecided can be swayed by a comment, or an attitude, but the voters who have decided will not change much.

February 27, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  133. B. Smart

I am definately changing my mind on OBAMA. First I thought he was great
    now I know that he's brilliant.

OBAMA 08!!!!!!

February 27, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  134. Shaun Amherst, MA

Jack,

If the sky opened....the light came down....and celestial choirs were singing...oh wait....is that plagirism?

February 27, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  135. EK, NY

What's changed my mind? Ralph's running for President!

Obama, change we can believe in? Did his pal write that one? He's a good example of more of the same disguising as "change." CNN, why don't you sponsor a debate with more than the same boring players? Let Ralph Nader, Ron Paul, Cynthia McKinney & Mike Bloomberg debate with the other candidates and we will have a real debate with opposing viewpoints. I don't like the news media telling me who I'm allowed to vote for. And let's cover real issues like global warming, pollution, corporate control, ballot access.

Isn't it ironic that even with Democrats having a great opportunity to win back the presidency they still can't do anything but fight amongst themselves?

February 27, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  136. Ron from Springfield...hometown of Lincoln and Homer.

I might change my mind about Hillary if she signed a binding contract assuring us that she'd turn the reins over to Bill if elected......nah... even then I wouldn't vote for her. I'd change my mind about Obama only if Homer Simpson runs for President. HOMER IN 08!

February 27, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  137. John Bradford, PA

Jack, I'll vote for who ever you tell me to.

February 27, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  138. Brian

I'm still trying to choose who to support. I'd like to hear something more substantial from Sen. Obama. Sen. Clinton has been fairly forthcoming on issues, Sen. Obama talks about dreams (or at least that is all the media-with glossed over eyes-have bothered to show).

I'm concerned that Sen. Obama will be lost in the woods. He's clearly intelligent and well-spoken, but so was President Carter-who was unable to control the economy or "rogue" nations.

I'm sorry but being a IL State Senator does not boost my confidence. I grew up in IL and politics there are more flawed than in most states. However if he has something substantive to say, PLEASE say it, report it- I want to hear it.

And Jack could your question's wording have been more anointing to Sen. Obama? I think you answered your own earlier question whether the media has been fair to Clinton/Obama.

February 27, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  139. Heidi from Iona, ID

Jack,

It would take the sky opening, light coming down, and celestial choirs singing, "Vote for Hillary or else the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse will soon arrive!"

February 27, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  140. Phyllis Hancock

Dear Jack,

After doing my own research, I came across 52 articles written by the Chicago Sun Times. These have raised many questions that the media has failed to investigate. In order to vote for Obma, I would need to know more about his relationships with several undesirable people. Is Obama just guilty by association or is there more to these relationships.

The name of Farrakhan came up in the debate last night. Maybe this will open the door and let us inside the room where we voters can meet Obama's friends.

Phyllis Media, PA

February 27, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  141. jim georgia

Male presidents got us (USA) into this mess, and it will probably require a woman or two to clean it up.

February 27, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  142. Bat Masterson, Dodge City , Kansas

Jack have you every heard of the second coming ?

Bat Masterson , Dodge City Kansas

February 27, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  143. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

Stop being a patsy to the party system; just because it is the only reason one gains an election...

February 27, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  144. Denise

Here's the deal.....
    I was on the fence a few weeks ago about these candidates. But, after a long hard look at these candidates, I began really respecting Sen. Obama. He, for the most part, is running his campaign the way all politicians should. He has minimal negative attacks, very calm and his message has not jumped all over the place. Nonetheless, I ultimately changed my mind from Hillary, when she wanted to claim the delegates from Michigan and Florida- that is not ethical. If you are willing to do something so under handed before you are elected, then what will happen once you become President.

Finally, let's stop comparing Sen. Obama to President Bush, then two are not the same. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Sen. Obama's intellect is far superior. Is it better to, once again, to elect a President via nepotism? That is a dangerous route to follow-then there will never be change.

-Denise
    Louisville, KY
    Obama '08

February 27, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  145. Mike Nunn

When this entire campaign started, I changed my mind a few times. Now there is nothing to change to. My candidates are gone and we are left with Obama and McCain. One with no experience and one who is older than I am. Since I know virtually nothing about Obama as he has virtually no record, I am left with a choice that does not please me. I am so desperate for a viable candidate I might even consider voting for a nasty old man like you. Go Ahead – Give it a try.

February 27, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  146. Christine of Natchez MS

Nothing could change my mind. Hillary has shown her true colors and they appear to be black and blue. She should have kept her mouth shut until she was in the White House like the rest of them do. Hopefully Obama will be different. One can only hope.

February 27, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  147. concerned

Nope! Hillary is our only hope.
    Charisma doesn't mean anything to me. It's about getting the job done.
    The people blindly put Bush in office for 8 years and look what we got. Talk about whining! I heard over and over.people who said what choice did we have.
    Well, you have one now. Pray people do the right thing. Otherwise, just take what you get and SHUT up already.
    Assuming, that is without affordable health care you are alive to whine!

February 27, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  148. scot, San Francisco

Obama will never change my mind...Clinton was a great President, and his cabinet is standing by to return america to its former glory! Obama is all rhetoric and lightweight experience. The proof is in the pudding.

February 27, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  149. susan

I can't imagine changing my vote . Hillary all the way. To me, Obama is an arrogant child. He lacks depth and experience. Basically, he needs another 4-8 years before I could even consider him.. Our countries problem's are too significant after 8 years of Bush to entertain a possibilty that I would vote for Obama. Nope, not in this election. Don't know what I'll do if he wins. Don't even want to fo there.

February 27, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  150. Jennifer in Austin, Texas

The only thing that would change my mind about Hillary Clinton would be wiping all of my memories and knowledge of her and her husband's history in Arkansas and in the White House, her activities in the Senate, her husband's deals with Ron Burkle and with Frank Giustra and Kazakhstan, and her and her husband's behavior on the campaign trail.

Wipe it all and maybe you could change my mind about her.

February 27, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  151. Jeanie Los Angeles

After reading the comments on here about Hillary Clinton, with their personal attacks about her being boring, or too "hormonal for the White House", I want her to win even more badly. Let's cut to the real issues here and stop wasting time with shallow attacks. There's nothing that will change my mind... HILLARY 2008!

February 27, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  152. Doug

I just dont really know where obama stands hes got the hype but i see no substance, he has been the head of a commitee in washington but as of yet not a single vote, I am sorry i plan to vote for clinton her strength and who she is are the deciding factors, if obama wins it great, I am sorry but this really has split the democratic party to bad. i will vote mccain.

February 27, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  153. Eli

It's Hillary or McCain. Beware of SLICK DUDES!!!

February 27, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  154. Earl R.

I am switching from Obama to Hillary.

After last night's debate, I am convinced that Obama's health care plan is NOT based on sound judgment and is NOT well-thought out.

February 27, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  155. Bob, Lexington MA

Joe Biden!

February 27, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  156. AJ

I'm a republican whose voting for Obama!! Out with the old and in with the new.

February 27, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  157. Khrys

Hillary Clinton and her supporters keep tauting her experience; and others talk about Barack Obama's inexperience.

Well, I'll vote for the inexperienced one any day who has been able to sign up a million people interested in THEIR government and raise money on the internet vs a woman with 35 years experience and has managed to go through $150 million. How has her experience benefitted her? She's paid $5 million for consultants to her campaign? She needs to sue to get her money back, they've not done nothing for her except separate her from her money.

February 27, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  158. b in cleveland

Hillary is not a leader, else she would have lead Congress to make the changes she is saying she will make.

Obama is all talk, and darn good at it, which is why the uneducated are falling for him.

McCain is too old and can't understand new technology or the shift to a global economy.

I would make a great President, but am too young. I understand there is too much Grey area and the two parties only represent the left and right. We need someone who is willing to work on both foreign policy (GOP) AND the issues within our borders (DEM), and we don't have a candidate for that.

Gotta go, finishing packing my bags for Europe.

February 27, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  159. PAUL, Pennington Gap, VA

Being an Obama supporter, about switching to Hillary, let me see what it will take – – –
    1] DENOUNCE and REJECT Bill'S 'CIGAR-AFFAIR'
    2] STOP THAT CACKLE
    3] and most importantly, AGREE TO BE CONSIDERED AS OBAMA'S VP.

February 27, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  160. Amy Penk

In order for me to change my mind and vote for Hillary, she would have to stop shrieking at me and stop acting like she is entitled to the presidency. She also needs to start acting more presidental and less like a shrill harpy. Perhaps she could take a few lessons from Margaret Thatcher on how a female head of state handles herself.

Amy
    Dearborn Heights, MI

February 27, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  161. Karl

I've been behind Barack Obama since the night he spoke at the DNC on behalf of John Kerry. My exact quote: "That guy's going to be our President."

February 27, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  162. sandi

I'm a 70 year old Mother of 5 Grandmother of 6. nothing will change our minds, we are all for Hillary, [except one] and we locked him in the cellar 8 years ago when he voted for Bush,

February 27, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  163. BJ Smith

I have. Hillary was so dominate in the earlier debates, seemed she had little competition, but as Obama evolved I began researching , & found an awful lot that was promising. The more seen, the more liked & am now a staunch Obama supporter. Instinct says he's a winner!

BJ from Seminole, FL

February 27, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  164. William

Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton? If Hillary is elected, the bush and clinton factions would have ruled the country for more than two decades. We need something from a faction other than those two.

February 27, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  165. Atif - Kentucky

Jack , I am orignally from Pakistan and Politicians all over the world no difference, they can only do one thing better PLAY with the minds of middle class.

February 27, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  166. Marcus- TX

Barack would have to prove to me that his message of HOPE is not what he thinks is going to get things done in the White House. At the end of the day, Hillary gets my vote because it's a vote of confindence in her ability to deliver the change that Barack speaks of.

February 27, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  167. Blade , Detroit , Michigan

Jack,

Shame on you Jack Cafferty, why don't you go pick on the Republicans for once. i never hear you preaching to John McCain or
    Mikey Huckabee what's the matter , border fence got your tongue ?

Blade , Detroit Michigan

February 27, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  168. Jane

The media are certainly biased toward Hillary Clinton. American Men? cannot stand women who are smarter than they are!!!
    I am a proud Canadian and I wish we had Hillary Clinton in Canada. What a treasure you have – too bad you do not know how to respect her. She is the only candidate I have observed who is capable to be President. What losers you are.

February 27, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  169. Renee Las Vegas NV

I was a Hillary supporter but early on I smelled a rat!!!!
    I'm 100% Obama supporter now!!!

February 27, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  170. LeLe, los angeles

The problem is that HRC is acting the part of a manic depressive patient off of her meds…

The truth is that she is trying to capitalize on sexism but she at every chance plays the vicitmized wimpy-white girl. Which ALL of us know she is not.

ADVICE: Stop being phoney. If you want to live up to the SNL reputation just be the B—– they say you are. Come strong and STOP whining about it.

YOU LOST MY VOTE LONG AGO!!!!!!

February 27, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  171. Ben from Georgia

The only way I would choose Hillary over Obama is if Obama not only drops out, but dies, gets his body cremated, his ashes eaten and the digestive remains sent to the bottom of the ocean. Then in the general election, McCain it is.

February 27, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  172. Rick

I would change my Vote from Barack to John McCain if Hillary wins Ohio, Texas and goes to win Pen State. Are you kidding? With the mood swings and jabs at the media she sounds more and more troubling. This candidate acts worse than a Movie Star on drugs. Who would want Hillary after what we've seen? The republicans would have a field day if she won the nomination. I would too! My Vote stands firm as an independent for Barack Obama.

Rick

Huntington Beach, CA

February 27, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  173. Elizabeth in Gregory, TX

Obama "hit the nail on the head" in the debate yesterday when he used the story of a bus being driven into a ditch to describe Hillary's initial support of the war in Iraq. She was even the bus driver for another bus-full of people who were counting on her to get universal health-care when she was First Lady because she made such a huge agenda of it. Alas, she ran away with nary a thought after talking about it, ad nauseum. I never heard her mention health care ever again while she was First Lady. Nothing was said, nothing at all. The idea was just dead and that's why I fear she will say anything to get elected and then do nothing, nothing at all.... Obama doesn't talk near as good as he will act...that's why I'm voting for Barack.

February 27, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  174. Greg From Mechanicsburg, PA

If George W. Bush endorsed Obama or Clinton I would definately change my mind about them.

February 27, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  175. Greg Rice from PA

At this point and time there is nothing positive either candidate can truly do to change someone's mind that already feels fixed on either Hillary or Barack, unless they change their stance on any given issue. However, while the new standpoint may better reflect my personal views, I would see completely switching sides on a topic this late in the campaign as a quality I do not want in the White House. Furthermore, by this time I fully trust one of the candidates, which severly diminishes a chance that a possibly negative aspect of their past could change my view.

February 27, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  176. Michael sheidun(oregon)

Jack, Mama Hillary has shown me about her other sides I never knew about. I thank the press and its coverage of the campaign during those drama-Hillary episodes. My vote is for he who can be as composed as Sen. Obama and that is regardless of his middle name. Keep the good work up CNN and thanks Jack

February 27, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  177. RC Lendz

There is nothing that will change my mind about voting for Barack Obama. I will not vote for him. I am pro-Clinton first, then pro-McCain, then pro-Huckaby, then pro-Paul.
    Okay, maybe I would vote for Obama if it were just Obama and Ralph Nader. But maybe not.....

February 27, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  178. Sameera

Jack,
    Too often we have overlooked the importance of having a tasteful and classy campaign. I personally could never change my mind about by Obama support because Hillary lost hers(class) when she opted to engage in gutter politics after 11 straight primary loses. As a voter, I am often turned off by her willingness to say ANYTHING to get back in the game. Being level-headed is indicative of being a good leader and she has shown the American people that being poised and respectful is a quality she can pocess only when things are going well.

February 27, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  179. Cindy

jack

Nothing could change my mind to vote for Hillary.She is will say or do anything to get elected and in fact she feels it is owed to her. If she ends up stealing the nominee then I am going to change my status to independent and will not vote for her.

February 27, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  180. Rob

Obama swayed some people last night, namely the Jewish voters. His response regarding the Israel and Farrakhan issues brought him a lot more consideration from that group. I watched it happen in my living room where my guests walked in the door scared of Obama and walked out the door liking him more.

February 27, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  181. htp

I felt deeply sorry for all americans. We, as the people had no chance to vote for the candidate we believe in. The media already voted for us. They voted for us in 2000 and in 2004 that's why we are in such a mess now. Obama is their pick. It's very sad!

February 27, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  182. Peter

If Obama were caught lying to the American people or taking mega-donations from corporate lobbyists, I would question my support for him. On the flipside, if Senator Clinton showed the courage to admit when she's wrong, give straight answers to straightforward questions, and stop playing old style Rovian politics, I might consider supporting her. But I'm not holding my breath.

February 27, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  183. michelle fitzpatrick st joseph, MO

Nothing could change my mind about voting for Barrack Obama. I have been a loyal Clinton suppporter since 1991, and at one time thought a two for one deal in the White House was a great idea. But that has all changed. Barrack Obama has touched a nerve in this country...Hillary is making fun of his big rallies and message of hope, but that's the whole point. He's exciting people that haven't given poliltics a second thought in years or their entire lives. He's making people feel good about this country for the first time in years and years. If he can inspire that in an election, imagine what he can do as a President. Throughout this entire campaign the Clinton's have disappointed me again and again, and in a bigger way everytime. But the sarcastic speech from this past weekend about the sky opening up took the cake. Nothing could change my mind. Barrack obama is the best thing that's happened to this country maybe in my lifetime...and I'm old (50).

February 27, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  184. Jenny M

Hillary is seeming more and morel like a school marm.

Scolding Obama –"shame on you" and then last night telling him what word to use ! lol I can imagine world leaders watching her total meltdown over the weekend and thinking wow Bush is looking better and better to them.

Her behavior –her scolding, mocking, and then last night running a word contest. Maybe Hillary should be on Jeopardy - but not in the White House. No way !!!

February 27, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  185. Don Schultz

Does the person who follows another in a debate question have a huge advantage?The answer is YES. Ask any debating group. Such a format is unfair to the extreme – call any university debating profession and they will tell you: yes to an extreme.Jack you said Hillary complained that most of the questions were first directed to her. Not quite correct. She said "all the questions were first directed to her" a slight exaggeration but very slight and IMO more correct than your "more." In the debate before Texas Ionly recall one question (and it was a minor one) first directed to Senator Obama.As for Tim Russert – he debated Hillary more intensely tha Senator Obama. I would have preferred he as an ""impartial" media man not substitute himself for one of the debaters. The media, IMO, has decided the election by one-sided-reporting.Don Schultz

February 27, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  186. Beth

I will not change my mind, Obama has my vote. HOWEVER, if these pesky super-duper delegates get involved and mess with the popular vote, I will never-ever-ever vote democratic again.

Liz-Portland, OR

February 27, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  187. Jim Lacey

Jack,
    Like all the rest of the press, you continue to state untruths
    like, "Obama oppossed the war from the beginning."
    Horse pucky. He wasn't even AROUND from the beginning.

I don't care what any Senator says in private or openly, I
    care that they sign that with their vote.

To dare suggest that Barak Obama's stand against the war
    dates back to Hillary's support is not only provably inaccurate,
    but the 6 occasions on which he simply decided to abstain
    is disgraceful. If he wins, let's hope everyone that was so
    sure about that being Ok doesn't get a surprise.

February 27, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  188. Katie Ocean View, DE

Oh boy, Jack.
    I've got this vision of President Bush standing behind a curtain giggling insanely as he watches Senator Clinton vote for war in Iraq with the rest of the zombies in Washington while a tiny little Obama is jumping up and down on her desk yelling "Think this through Madam. For the love of God, think this through!"
    Now that we all can hear his voice, I'm deaf to hers.

February 27, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  189. TK N BLUE JEANS

JACK
    BEEN READING THE POSTED COMMENTS ON YOUR BLOG. CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE GOT SOME SHARP FOLKS LISTENING & COMMENTING ON YOUR QUESTIONS. MY POSITION HOWEVER; IS CRYSTAL CLEAR. I AGREE WITH ALL OF THEM.

February 27, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  190. Donna F. Smith

Ed Rendell could change lots of minds, or at least influence them. The Clinton's HAVE gotten "an unfair rap", albeit as a result of Republican flip-floppers. Listen to Governor Rendell's interview with Wolf Blitzer...he has some interesting facts regarding this subject.

February 27, 2008 at 6:30 pm |