February 13th, 2008

How can Clinton stop Obama’s momentum?

ALT TEXT
Senator Barack Obama waves after speaking at a campaign rally Tuesday in Madison, Wisconsin. (PHOTO CREDIT: AP)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Barack Obama says he has a "new American majority", and judging by the results of the Potomac Primaries, it looks like he's onto something.

Obama topped Hillary Clinton in all three races yesterday, winning by a margin of almost 2-to-1 in Maryland and Virginia and 3-to-1 in the District of Columbia.

What's significant is not just that Obama won, it's how he did it – pulling away many of the voters who make up Clinton's political base. Obama did well as usual among young voters, independents and African-Americans.

But, that wasn't all. He beat Clinton among voters 65 and older, blue collar workers and women. In Virginia, he won the white vote along with every income, education and religious group. He even won a majority of Latino support there.

This all leaves Hillary Clinton in a pretty tough position. Obama's wide margins in the races over the last week mean that Clinton not only needs to win in Ohio and Texas on March 4th, but she needs to answer back with a couple landslides of her own.

It's a tall order, especially when Obama has all the momentum riding on his side. He has now won eight races in a row and leads the delegate count 1,253 to Clinton's 1,211. Polls show him gaining strength in both Wisconsin and Hawaii, which vote next Tuesday.

Also, Obama's campaign has also been bringing in $1 million a day from more than 650,000 contributors, and he continues to draw arena-sized crowds to his rallies.

Here’s my question to you: How can Hillary Clinton stop Barack Obama's momentum?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Jim from College Station, Texas writes:
Jack, Let me start by saying that I'm a Hillary supporter. What strikes me when I see video footage of the crowds standing behind Hillary and to an even greater extent behind the Republican candidates, are mostly old, white, stuffed shirted establishment supporters. And then I see standing behind Obama: young, old, black, white, Hispanic, common folks enthusiastically showing their support for him. I get the feeling that I'm looking at the past versus the future and the future is what it’s all about.

Trish writes:
Hillary is feeding Obama's momentum. She has lost eight contests since last weekend and not mentioned a single one on the campaign stump. By ignoring the contests, she has also not stopped to publicly thank any of her supporters in these states. This kind of snub is not the way to secure a loyal base. She comes off as less gracious by the day.

Paul from Syracuse, New York writes:
It’s very apparent that each state is different. With that said, drawing conclusions on what women or blacks did in one state will have no effect on what will come in Ohio and Texas. I think by now in history we should know to never count out a Clinton.

Jeffrey writes:
I agree, she can’t stop him. This is a movement in this country, not an election. The people are tired of being treated badly and not being heard. Hillary should do what is best for the country and support Obama because that is what Americans want.

Carlotta from Granger, Indiana writes:
How can she? Two terms of Bush have left the American people feeling so beaten down that they are desperately clinging to this Obama guy that doesn't bother them with specifics, instead pumping them up with pep talks like a college coach. If what Americans really want is a coach, I hear Bobby Knight is free. That would scare the crap out of al Qaeda.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton
  1. Brian M. From Fort Mill, S.C.

She can't. If she goes negative, she'll seem like something that rhymes with "rich". If she stays positive, then that's where Obama is at his best. If she continues to dis the Republicans, then that does nothing to hurt Obama. He's grabbing some of the Hispanic voters from her, along with white men, women, old and young, working class and college grads. As far as Texas is concerned, all he has to do is get close to her in delegates. He can lose Texas by a small margin and still be OK. But if he can somehow win Ohio, then she's in something that rhymes with "deep voodoo".

February 13, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  2. Jeremy

Jack,

Hillary needs to become herself again. Obama has been criticizing her since Super Tuesday. It is her turn to show the country that she has the detailed plans to succeed while Obama is "hoping" to succeed. Her ad in Wisconsin brings up a good point, if Obama thinks he is the best person to run this nation, then why not debate Hillary on the issues. The refusal to debate just confirms that Obama is nothing more than talk.

February 13, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  3. Jermaine, MS

Hillary can stop Obama momentum by continuing to campaign hard and by spreading her message about the economy, energy, etc. When people get through listening to hot air speeches and get through crying, they will realize the problems this country face will still be there. Even John McCain said today Obama does not gives specifics. People know that talk is cheap. Where is the BEEF?

February 13, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  4. Dorothia

Hillary should start telling the people how Barack voted on some of the important issues. Ie: Barack's for helping the illegals.

Barack is all air...making good sounding speeches but with no substance.

Jack, ...encourage the people not to get hooked on gender, color or charming personalities but the go on line and check out the voting records and demand some plan of action. Where's Barack's plan of action. His talks are all frosting and no cake.

February 13, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  5. James E

Hillary needs to stop being so nice and bring out the bad stuff on obama like refusing to be sworn in on the holy bible to the Illionse senate whata kind of american is that instead he wanted to be swore in on the koran we all no what that is remember 911 that was the muslim bible

February 13, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  6. Alex

She can't stop it. No one is allowed to say anything remotely critical about Obama because even the word "fairytale" has somehow become a rascist code word according to the pundits. What on earth will the media do when Obama runs against McCain in the general and they have to choose between their two darlings...decisions decisions.

February 13, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  7. Lex

Well Jack, the only way to truly stop momentum is by winning, of course. I believe we all know what happens when candidates take the " Just wait and you'll see..." approach. A football team doesn't lose every game with hopes to redeem themselves in the Super Bowl- We all know you have to MAKE it to the playoffs first.

February 13, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  8. Bob David

No, I don't believe she can. Her only hope now is the Super Delagates. However, I don't believe the remainder of the Super Delagates will support her either. Edwards being a wise man will support Obama. Of course she could always choke up and cry.

Bob
    Rome NY

February 13, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  9. Trish Melsha

Hillary is feeding Obama's momentum. She has lost eight contests since last weekend and not mentioned a single one on the campaign stump. By ignoring the contests, she has also not stopped to publically thank any of her supporters in these states. This kind of snub is not the way to secure a loyal base. She comes off as less gracious b y the day.

February 13, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  10. Ted

She started off with the attitude that I have more experience and I am a Clinton and everyone will vote for me and now that people are waking up to the aspect of a canditate that is wanting change this has slapped her in the face hard. I don't think there is anything she can do. Just suck it up and go as far as she can.

February 13, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  11. Gary

Divine Intervention! I personally we could get rid of our current options and have a redo.

February 13, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  12. James

Huntington,WV
    She can't!
    Insert Bill's or Hillary's foot every time her mouth is opened.
    My question to you! Why is it that every time we know she has extorted the truth or blatantly lied, no one ever questions her about it? Point in turn to last debate on CNN where out of her mouth she referred back to reports dating to 1998 of WMD which she used to explain her vote on the war. Evidently, her decision came from the Clinton white house not the Bush white house when she decided to cast her vote. Besides, she lied as to the bombing and the reason thereof.
    We need to hold her to the same scrutiny that we are requiring of every other candidate.

February 13, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  13. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Obama is trying to present to the American People a new(?) philosophy of government in which the people actually control the government instead of vice-versa. Clinton seems not to have a philosophy other than "grab power and change things". I do not feel included in her ideas of government.

Jack, she will not be able to stop this momentum until and unless the people of this country feel included. That will not happen because they have been given to understand that SHE will take care of everything. From day One.

February 13, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  14. Tyson Stoner

Jack , Your question is exactly what I was thinking today when I saw part of the congressional hearing with Clemens. We truly are living in the bizzaro world now. We have a country that cares more about entertainment than our own government or lack there of. I keep thinking about scooter Libby getting off pretty much scott free for helping to out a CIA agent(pretty important stuff). You see what those congressional hearing got us. You got it NOTHING. We have a country on the brink of disaster and we want to know whether Clemens used steroids. First off, Who cares anymore. We all know that most things in entertainment are shallow and fake. Why wouldnt we include sports and government in that equation. on the other hand, Why is congress even bothering with hearings. Is it really any of their business, Is it because Clemens lied about something. Well my GOD, welcome to the real world where pretty much everybody lies about something almost everyday. Now I love Baseball and sports just as much as the next person, But I love my country a whole hell of alot more. We sit around and worry about trivial things and dont focus on the important stuff. Like soldiers dying everyday under the banner of Democracy. Well lets ask those families that lost loved ones whats more important to them nowadays. Thaks Jack and keep on fighting the good fight.

Thanks,
    Tyson Stoner
    Lexington South Carolina

February 13, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  15. Julie

She can stop his momentum by dropping out and letting the Republican party unleash the attack dogs. He's not going to have Kennedy to save him at that point, and then his momentum will quickly disappear.

February 13, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  16. sandy in sc

I am an independent who plans to vote for Obama.....Clinton is already on the attack questioning rhetoric vs specifics. This is how she plans to stop the momemtum....and it might work. For as many of us that are following the political process closely, there are thousands more that are not and could be influenced by the type of ad now airing in Wisconsin. I probably don't know all the specifics, but it seems to me that Obama and Clinton have similar concerns for the country and differ just slightly in how they would resolve them. However, it's the enthusiasm that Obama generates that is getting this country to CARE again. I think he can pull the country together.... Clinton cannot.

February 13, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  17. Marilyn

I think it's too late. It became too late when Bill Clinton stomped through his wife's campaign. It reminded people that ultimately, the Clintons are centrists, that the Clintons are politicians first and idealists second. And they've played the fear card and will continue to do so. At this point, fear is the only thing Hillary has left to sell. Americans have had enough of fear from the Republican side, it just doesn't play that well any more.

February 13, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  18. Michael Coogen in Lorton, Virginia

Let's examine Hillary's campaign status: Running out of money; fired her campaign manager; deputy campaign manager resigns; character tainted by Bill's past "lovefests;" not a front runner; thinks she has "electability...etc." WIth statistics like that she could not even stop a "clock," and time is running out for her. I would say MO MONEY, MO MONEY, but in this case, MO MONEY IS A MOOT POINT. Obama is a "runaway train".

February 13, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  19. Paul B. Syracuse, NY

Its very apparent that each state is different. With that said, drawing conclusions on what women or blacks did in one state will have no effect in what will come in Ohio and Texas. I think by now in history we should know to never count out a Clinton. Also in a different subject Dana Bash is far from a jerk. McCain is a Mcjerk!

February 13, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  20. Linda Braun

Hillary can stop Obama by getting him (somehow) to agree to immediate and
    frequent debates on the issues and proposed solutions for the issues. That will highlight how much more she knows about the issues and how much more effective she would be as President. Obama is just a pretty face.

February 13, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  21. Dorothy

The real question should be "Can she stop Obama?" And I do hope and pray that she cannot stop him now!

Morrisville, NC

February 13, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  22. Jeri

Well, maybe if CNN would get out of politics and just report the news, it would help, Jack. CNN keeps spinning Obama is Great. And they keep selling Hillary down the road. I don't get it!

I for one don't understand how you could hope for a rookie, when we have one of the strongest, greatest, most experienced Female Candidates of all time. What Hillary really, really brings to the table is strength, experience in the Senate Armed Services Committee, eight years of experience as First Lady to one of the best Presidents we have had in modern times. She has met most of the Foreign Leaders and has a REAL Plan for Health Care, not a slogan!

But you guys just keep beating her down instead of reporting the positives! No, Obama gets the praise, whit nothing to back it up? The Media is promoting Obama to much and you may very well live to regret it if he wins!

It may be a first if Obama wins, but what happens to the Blacks in this Country if he flops? It will be bad!

February 13, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  23. Jim Sluder

Jack; Let me start by saying that I'm a Hillary supporter. What srikes me when I see video footage of the crowds standing behind Hillary and to an even much greater extent with the republican candidates, are mostly old, white, stuffed shirted establishment supporters. And then I see standing behind Obama, young, old, black, white, hispanic, common folks enthusiastically showing their support for him. I get the feeling that I'm looking at the past versus the future and the future is what its all about. In other words, Jack, I don't think she can stop his momentum and the more I think about it, I'm not sure anymore if I want her to. When I push the button to cast my vote next month, I'll be curious to see who's name I've entered.

Jim Sluder...a 50 year old stuff shirt white guy in College Station, Texas.

February 13, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  24. Jeffery Brown

I agree, she cant stop him. This is a movement in this country, not a election. The people are tired of being treated badly and not being heard, Hillary should do what is best for the Country and support him, because that is what American's want.

February 13, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  25. Jim Galvin

She can't.

February 13, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  26. David

Hillary needs to start attacking Obama on his voting while in the Senate. Obama is a Liberal but needs tells the voters another LIE on his voting; and she needs to bring out his background on being a Muslin. Obama dont tell the truth. Where are all his family members-no where in site because he doesnt want them at his rallies in order that the media wont be able to question his background

David from Elma, wa.

February 13, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  27. Xan Steel From Orlando, FL

Jack

As I said before it was a tough race for me, because I like both Hillary, and Obama. Though since Obama is leading with alot of young voters 18-31, my age group, I'm starting to lean towards his way of thinking.

Hillary is another good canidate, but she is losing ground, because of the young. there is alot of new voters this year alone, which remember what her husband did in office, and alot feel the same thing "may" happen again, and they don't want that. In order for her to win against Obama and push him out, she will have to come up with some radical ideas that no one has thought of doing in office before, that pleases everyone, which we all know is next to impossible.

Xan Steel

February 13, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  28. Barbara, Newburyport, Massachusetts

She looks sort of like a wounded animal, with an uphill climb. She needs to get over the fact that the race is not over as she expected it would be. She needs to realize, she got a bit too arrogant, thinking she had the nomination all wrapped up. She can play the underdog card more, surround herself with working class people, minorities, twenty-somethings and middle aged men and women. I think playing up her experience will bode her well. Maybe talk more about her dreams as a young woman......give herself a pat on the back.....in amazement that she may be the first woman President of the United States. Who would've thought? She can't cry....been there done that.....but she could show her vulnerabilities a little more and the public might buy into her again. I liked her line "more cattle, less hat"........when she spoke to Texans in El Paso last night. Admitting that Obama is a dynamic, inspirational speaker might work too. Maybe she could draw some comparisons with politicians in the past who could woo the public, but once in office failed due to their shortage of experience?

February 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  29. Tobey / Laconia, NH

She cannot stop his momentum with her current thought processes. She is unable to admit to her losses, correct the problems or adjust to the situation and rally the majority of voters. For her to down play the past month for any reason is delusional behavior and thinking that she can win the game by skipping the third quarter in hopes of a strong fourth quarter is poor judgment as Governor Giuliani proved months ago. Obama's momentum is a product of grass roots campaigning. He is now proving to the country that he is the clear front runner due to his ability to relate with all voter's regardless of race, finances, sex or age. This is due to his clear message of change which is extremely important to all Americans at this time. I truly believe that Obama has started a movement, historically once they have started it is almost impossible to stop them. Unless, 700 Super people decide that they are more important than the American voters.

February 13, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  30. Prince Noel ,Houston TX

Clinton already started her negative AD in wisconsin, people know she is going negative because she is frustrated. Not one congrats from her to Obama for all his win after Super Tuesday. We not fools . we have heard them more than 18times debate. no one want to see them talking about the same thing over and over again.It seems to me Clinton dont care about no one she care about the vote. That a shame . fired latino manager because she think she got the latino votes all locked up and now replace her with black to get black vote . .that a shame

February 13, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  31. Nicki

Clinton can stop Obama by people getting their heads on straight. That just goes to show you how many ignorant people their is in this world.

February 13, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  32. THERESA

As a Canadian I thought it would be interesting to watch the way the Americans elect their President and compare the two. What I've learnt is that no matter how flawed the Canadian elections seem I'll stick to our way. The Americans preach about democracy and that every vote counts but I bet the people in Florida and Michigan would surely disagree. You set up a system of super delegates but as soon as it looks like your going to need them suddenly their Unamerican. It doesn't seem to matter how well you can run the country but who "OPRAH" thinks will do the best job. To me it just seems that the people who were ready to elect Mrs. Clinton for her platform have now decided to turn the election into some kind of phenomenon where everyone just wants to elect the most popular guy and are voting like its a episode of American Idol. Someone needs to tell them that they don't get to change their minds and vote him out next week. I very seldom hear any mention of the issues any more. Just about Obama's phenomenon. Just my opinion and what I see.

February 13, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  33. Jaz - Atlanta, Ga

By clearing the path, that way it's not a momentum .... just a continuance.

February 13, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  34. Tobey / Laconia, NH

Sorry Jack,
    Mayor Giuliani!

February 13, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  35. Jerry Wilson

Texas, Ohio, and Pennsilvania will stop Baracks momentum. Barack just doesn't do well in traditional democratic stronghold states like: California, New York, New Jersey, Michigan,and Massachusetts. This is the reason Barack will have a difficult time winning the nomination. But anything is possible!

Jerry Wilson

February 13, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  36. Jean Anderson, IN.

I don't want his momentum stopped!!!! Come on all you young people ...get this done for us...we need you to continue stepping up big time to get Obama the nomination. It appears my generation has too many that cannot change. The base as they are called.

February 13, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  37. Terry

Jack,
    Hillary cannot stop Obama now. Her campaign was a "fairy tale" from the beginning based on nothing but arrogance and Bill Clinton's flawed presidency. They and all their "friends", Washington insiders, thought the race would be wrapped up on Super Tuesday.
    Now, they have no Plan B to confront a charismatic "outsider" like Obama.
    Hillary, hang it up. You're toast.
    Terry
    North Carolina

February 13, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  38. DaveBrooklyn, NY

Tell the truth; answer questions with direct straightforward answers. But at this point even that would look contrived

February 13, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  39. mrmikerobinson

John McCain's referral to the press–not just Dana Bash–as "jerks" was said with a smile, and was not meant to be taken seriously. Bash herself said it was "McCain Humor." Just because he didn't go out of his way to make it clear he was joking doesn't mean that he was being serious. Leave it to the media to make a mountain of a molehill.

Mike,
    Lexington, KY

February 13, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  40. Bruce

Just like Brian M said, she can't. By the way, CNN Political Ticker reports that she's already gone negative with TV ads in Wisconsin. I guess that's new campaign manager Ms. Williams at work. Will that work? Well, it appeared to work after Iowa, didn't it? Before it imploded big time in South Carolina. Same this time. What noone seems to be accounting for is that there are sizeable African American populations in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and even Texas. All everyone talks about are blue collar workers in Ohio and Latino voters in Texas. You wait until Obama adds Hawaii and Wisconsin and the 63 delegates in Puerto Rico to his TKO count, and all that Alamo strategy will implode. May seem too early to call, but in fact it's been a while already since this train's been gone. She turns to the superdelegates and either they've fled in droves or they stay and tip the scales and the Democratic Party loses to McCain. It's really that simple now.

February 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  41. Phyllis

She cannot stop his "mo" now because her campaign is structured poorly from the top down. His is framed from the grassroots bottom up. He already is in PA way before the April primary. It usually takes a grass roots moment a while to gel and get moving but you cannot stop it when they are based on principle (unity), talent (Obama's brilliant mind) and have time to sell their vision.I personally call Obama "the improable" president which might be translated a miracle by Huckabee.

Phyllis
    Allentown, PA

February 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  42. NelsonR

By Hillary's continued acquiescence to old party politics which includes refusing to disclose her personal taxes to the electorate she should pass on to a comfortable retirement as most longtime incumbents earned. They are all set for life at the taxpayers expense.

February 13, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  43. Greg from PA

The only way Clinton can stop Obama's momentum is to win in at least two of the three contests in Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Even then, she'd need to corral enough super delegates to push her over the top and that self-serving act would split the Democratic Party and ensure the Republicans a win in November. It's time she considers what's best for America and helps us unite behind the candidate that stands the best chance to win–that's Obama.

February 13, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  44. Alane Gross

I don't think she can, but I think the Republicans can. I am just waiting for the next terror threat announcement from this administration. I wonder, will we see it in August or will they wait until closer to the November election, hoping that people will vote Republican out of fear. I for one will not.

February 13, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  45. Jayne

Hillary can't stop the Obama tidal wave without tarnishing the Clinton brand name. If she alienates half the Democratic party by going negative on Obama, she risks handing the Republicans a victory in the general election. Should that happen, President Clinton's legacy will be associated with the loss and the book deals and speaking fees will dry up. She needs to recognize that the time may soon come when it is necessary for her to step aside for the good of the party and self preservation.

February 13, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  46. Tom, Avon Maine, The Heart of Democracy

It has been said many times that the only thing that could rally the Republican Party is if Senator Clinton is the Democratic candidate. She could slow the migration of Obamakins and Independents to Barack's campaign by offering to be his Vice-president.

February 13, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  47. Oliver

Obviously many Americans vote based on "drama" and who they like. On one hand, most Americans would never dispute the "glory" days of the Clinton administration, but on the other these same people turn around and ridicule the Clintons. It does not cease to amaze me that folks would actually vote for someone for the highest office in the world, based on a well written hyped up speech! As someone who loves politics, and one who follows these primaries like world cup soccer, after hearing the issues from the candidates and assessing their achievements, I can't understand the rationale in voting for Obama over Clinton. In the real world, when most bosses look at a potential employee's resume, he wants a combination of experience and qualification.

As an onlooker, folks, remember talk is cheap. Unfortunately, Hillary would not be able stop Obama's momentum, because people are not listening to the issues; Americans just love the "Bold and the Beautiful."

Of-course, this is a fairy tale: "give me a break."

February 13, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  48. Chris in chilly Saint Paul

The more people learn about Obama, the more they like what he has to say, and that approval cannot be dismissed without also insulting voters. I know the Clinton campaign is saying today that Obama is all talk, and it's a sensible counter to momentum and politicians will do that–they, after all, accuse one another of playing politics, which is to say of being part of their own profession–but this is a campaign. It can only be talk at this stage.

I think Senator Obama is going to get the nomination, and when he does he'll have earned it. He's risen by doing something I think Republicans have in recent elections done very well: remembered the importance of smaller states like Idaho.

In Obama's case, they've given him not just convincing momentum but a true national presence. He may have lost California, but all those other states lining up with him do influence the next wave of primaries. People see that so much of the country is for him. They see that he's not just holding on but that he's taken the lead. And they see he's done that with the support of people normally passed over in political campaigns. They see in him a voice.

February 13, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  49. Lori Altoona Iowa

The point needs to be made by her and the media that he is all fluff. There is nothing there. I heard him asked direct questions in Iowa on point and he was incapable of answering direct questions. Who wouldn't love to believe that what he says is going to happen, though our country can not take a chance on no experience. He has nothing behind his speeches to back anything up. It is a DREAM. It sounds to grand to be true, because it is. He will not help the healthcare issue. He will not fix the economy. He has not many votes to attack because he has not done anything yet! He can sit there and attack senator clinton on votes for the WAR, but he really has nothing himself to go on. I do believe some day he will have the experience to be GREAT, he is just not ready YET!
    We cannot risk one more mistake. Believe me I was appalled when this country elected Bush for 4 more years. But people you need to THINK because we are running out of time for many and the economy is eating away at all of us.

The media is enthralled by him. I would rather have a WOMEN running this country over any man any day. Then we will be on the right track. That is a real CHANGE!! Otherwise the public is being persuaded to vote for more of the same FLUFF, that is not change.

February 13, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  50. DfromNy

Difficult to say. She tried crying. She tried race and gender. Her camp said Obama wasn't black enough and then said he was too black. Her camp said he was Muslim. She tried stopping the caucuses in Nevada. She said she was broke. She changed her staff. She unleashed her husband. She tried to seat the disqualified states even though that would be cheating. She said women and the poor wouldn't vote for him. She said whites wouldn't vote for him.Up until now she has tried everything and stopped at nothing. It will be interesting to see what she comes up with next.

February 13, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  51. earl illingsworth

Just the facts Jack, figuratively speaking? The 2000 Hispanic(only) census comes up with four towns/cities in Texas alone with a total population of one million. Fast foward eight years(especially illegals),and were looking at approximately two million. It's know big secret that Hillary will garnish their vote,and "WIN Big" in Texas! I would also say the same about Ohio wih it's Hispanic population. What will really help the Democrats, (Hillary as President) is that, "The Hispanic/Latino", population has grown exponentially ,and just by estimates in ten years, were looking at between 20% and 23% of the countries total population, who will certainly vote DEMOCRAT. It ain't over, til it's over!!!

February 13, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  52. Warren Davis Tampa, FL

Jack,

I have one simple question after all is said and done if Hillary Clinton is having major problems managing her own campaign now how the hell can she manage the country issues? Just Think about it people!

February 13, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  53. Bertha

from Central Square, NY
    It may be too late to stop Obama. You were miffed because McCain called Dana Bash a "jerk", but you keep giving negative comments about Hillary, while not challenging a thing Obama says. Come to think of it, what has he said he will do if he gets elected? I have heard NO specifics from him at all, but CNN does not even question his plans.

We had "W" for so many years, we forget that our president should be competent, not a bag of hot air.

February 13, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  54. CBM Virginia

It amazes me that people attack Obama as lacking substance behind the rhetoric. Have they bothered to take a close look at Hillary's voting record over the course of the 6 years she's spent in the Senate? What's substantive about her stance? So she employs the smoke and mirrors tactic much better than anyone else out there and this is supposed to give her the veneer of "experience"? Dig deeper or else don't attack Obama supporters as merely buying into rhetoric. We've done our due diligence and are satisfied with what we've found. I am not sure what she will do to stop the bleeding, but we are not naive enough to think that she can ever be counted out.

February 13, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  55. Diane-Charlottesville, VA

The only way she could is if Obama messes up somehow – we all know it takes one word, one look, one whatever to have the media pounce on it in full force and then it takes a life of its own. Somehow, I don't see that happening. I'd like nothing better than to see Hilary step down. She really does need to get out of the way. It's so irritating to me how she and Bill Clinton act as though they are deserving of the presidency. Instead of looking at it like Obama has momentum, etc., what's wrong with looking at it that people just don't want Hillary as president? She thinks she should be, but not many others do. Maybe people are really voting against her and not just for Obama.

February 13, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  56. John Hannes, Chicago

Obama cannot be stopped.

All one needs to do is read about "Uno" and what he accomplished last night at the Westminster Dog Show to know that "change" is going on everywhere.

Just like Obama, Uno entered the race, the "underdog"....

February 13, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  57. Diane-Charlottesville, VA

In response to this comment:
    But you guys just keep beating her down instead of reporting the positives! No, Obama gets the praise, with nothing to back it up? The Media is promoting Obama to much and you may very well live to regret it if he wins!

I'm tired of people thinking she is getting beat down or the media is picking on her. Did you talk like that when the media went after all the women that Bill Clinton had affairs with? They nearly crucified those women in the media and it was "oh, poor Bill". Obama gets the praise because of what he is doing – look at the crowds that come out to hear him – and Hillary is not getting it cause she isn't any good. I see her on the news as much as Obama – I know cause I turn it off everytime she comes on...

February 13, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  58. Andrea

She could be more gracious in losing, thank her supporters and stop dissing the voters in the states she did not win!

February 13, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  59. Joan Va

She can' t unless more people really listen to Obama speeches and realize he talks in abstracts with no substance behind them. He is a good speaker , whether in his John F Kennedy or Martin Luther King mode, but he is not called to task for his lack of plans on how to accomplish his "changes". The press has also a decided he can do nothing wrong and Hillary can do nothing right, More accurate reporting would be appreciated.

February 13, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  60. Raoul from Lake City, South Carolina

Some things just can't be stopped. By downplaying her losses in states she was suppose to win, she has insulted her base and lost her electability. People are not as fickle as she thinks we are. If we are truly one nation, then why are people in other parts of the country not as wonderful as the ones she is campaigning in now. Think about it.

February 13, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  61. TLC

Jack, she can start crying more at her meetings so that she makes people think that she has a strong desire to care for other people, ie the American's. It worked once in New Hampshire, but some folks saw thru it, just like they will see thru it when she starts bashing Mr. Obama in the next debate. When she is backed into a corner as she is now, her true colors will come out and it's not red, white and blue, it's the colors of money – green and power – red.

Larry from Texas

February 13, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  62. TL

She joins the Obama camp. Then, she becomes a winner.

February 13, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  63. dan in hopkinton , mass

She needs to win. Silvers, as Mitt Romney called em' , only lead to "suspensions" of campaigns. If Hillary wins TX, OH, and PA she makes a convincing case, when you list her states won, that the democrats cannot win without her.

February 13, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  64. Mary

Hillary is the best, most experienced candidate. She needs to put him on the spot and make him answer specifics, which the news media and everyone else has not. The news media digs at Clinton on a daily basis, and they have drank the Obama kool-aid. We have had an inexperienced President and look what that has gotten us. Please people, think; do we need another.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

February 13, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  65. Richard Sternagel

Jack, there is only one way to stop Obama's momentum :Resign her candidacy! Go Obama!

February 13, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  66. Tom

Why would anyone want her to?? Barack's a breath of fresh air. Democrats need to open the doors and let the sunshine in!

Y-town, OH

February 13, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  67. mike studders

now that she is the rudy mode, i doubt that she can. she does well in debates but they do not stir the masses. who remembers much about previous debates. however, great speeches remain in history. i was a biden man then an edwards man and now probably an obama man. i am not antiwoman, i am however anti-dynasty all the way, hope the texans will remember how they created this bush presidency and move to correct it. certainly there are questions that have not been asked of any of the candidates, republican or democrat and it is for cnn and the rest of the media to ask them.

February 13, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  68. Beverley, Fredericksburg Va

Jack,

Boy was yesterday fun! I have never voted a straight ticket in my life so I generally have to fight off both sides here. But yesterday all my democratic and republican friends voted for the same candidate! I got one call from a campaign but 10 from friends asking if I voted yet! Later that night we watched the returns at home while instant messaging each other. Half my friends were watching your network and the other half watched the other 3-letter network.

I've been voting for 20 years and I have never had such an experience. In order for Hillary Clinton to stop the Obama tsunami she would literally have to kill the hopes & desire of millions of Americans who simply want a goverment that works and a goverment they want to work with. I'm not saying she can't do it – the real question is "should she"?

February 13, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  69. W B in Las Vegas, Nevada

"He beat Clinton among voters 65 and older, blue collar workers and women" says it all. IF she has lost here "base" then she may as well drop out gracefully IF she can't get huge wins in Ohio and Texas.

but then again the Clintons never do anything "gracefully".

February 13, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  70. tony p

Hillary is done, she cannot stop the juggernaut called Hope and Change that Obama represents. We the people no longer believe the world is flat, and Obama is our beacon of light. This is America's Rennaisance "New Birth". God Bless America and Vote for The Light that is Obama.

February 13, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  71. mohan ram

Hillary can't. The reason is simple. People have run out of patience. They want to overhaul the entire system. They are totally fed up with Washington politics, war, economy, etc. and Hillary, because they believe is also part of it, they feel that she will not be able to bring about the kind of change (of the drastic variety) needed. They want Barak because he is perceived independent and gives them Hope, even though he may be young and inexperienced.

February 13, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  72. Mary

She cannot stop it as long as you male chauvanistic ego maniacs in the media keep driving every primary election by slanting everything in Barack's favor.

Mary from Florida (where the votes never seem to count)

February 13, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  73. John from Arkansas

She has been relying on bad advice from her campaign avdisers. She is going to hav e to put more gound forces to work . She doesn't need to slow down her pace if she hope to get delegates. Don't disregard she supports either. They still make a difference.

February 13, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  74. Barry Hill

Simple. She can't.

February 13, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  75. James from Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    After months of debates and campaigning there is still nothing significantly negative to say about Obama. There is no real dirt to dig up or we would have heard it by now. Obama might just be the real thing and Americans everywhere are awakining to that possibility. Clinton's days are numbered and so are the republicans judging by the millions of votes that were the difference between the two sides.

February 13, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  76. sandrae

Hillary can stop Obama if she goes back her message on Healthcare as thats is strongest point. However, the notion that the nomination will won in Ohio and Texas is absurd. It also begs the question if the impossible happen and she is president , what will happen to those states that she didn't care about while she campaigning. I thought the united means to come together as one. if thats the case then all fifty states should receive the same amount of respect. Thats something Senator Obama seems to understand

February 13, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  77. Scott

point out the way she can achieve her goals at the debates, obama is the best at word's but where's the beef.

bowling green, mo.

February 13, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  78. IJ -Baltimore, MD

Hillary is in a political Catch-22. She can't go negative, because it will backfire against such a positive figure as Barack Obama. Going negative against someone more charismatic than yourself almost never works. She can't go positive, because that's playing right into his strengths. She's stuck hoping the Texas latino population saves her fat from the fryer. And Obama's starting to win them over too.
    Time is on Obama's side. The longer he stays in the race, and the more his record is vetted, the more popular he becomes. By the time we reach November, we might be talking about a beautification moreso than an election. His campaign will be a model for the a large portion of the 21st Century.

February 13, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  79. Jeanette Acevedo

Barack Obama is a charismatic, young and very inspiring candidate.
    Hillary cannot stop Obama's momentum. She hasn't been able
    to do it in the past and won't be able to do it now. She represents the
    same old status quo and people can sense that she is not sincere.
    In other words,we don't trust her.
    Jeanette from Miami, Fl.

February 13, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  80. Frank Gorostiza

Hillary stop Obama? He is on a roll and all you have to do is look at the type of audience he is using, the young intellects of tomorrow.

February 13, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  81. DfromNy

Earl Illingsworth,
    Since when do illegals have the right to vote?ß Let me assure you that all Hispanics do not support Hillary.She is in for a surprise in Texas. There are many Hispanics there who support Obama.

February 13, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  82. Geoff Wickersham

In the battle of two historic campaigns, one HAD to lose. American Democrats have chosen, and this isn't her time.

The best thing for her to do now is to bow out gracefully while still has her reputation and not go negative which will only fuel the partisans on the other side.

February 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  83. Clinton fm DC

Few if any oddsmakers would put even money on Clinton; her supposed advantage in Ohio and Texas could, like Rudy Guiliani's "momentum-proof" leads in California and New York, vanish like the campaign PR they are–the demographic allegiances upon which they're based are eroding as I type. That said, I think Obama is a euphoria-based and untested candidate. His path to the White House will be possible only if the Dems avoid civil war and if the real war in Iraq returns to the front pages in all its disastrous reality.

February 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  84. carla

She can't, with all the media negativity. And all the 'SPELLBOUND' media coverage for Obama. Come november I hope she laughs all the way to the front door of the White House. I wasn't too sure about a woman in the White House , but now,.....GO HILLARY!!!!! Carla, montana

February 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  85. David, Oregon

An Afro may do the trick.

February 13, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  86. Fredo

With what can Clinton halt the Obama momentum? This is a movement which is unstoppable. It is too late and the results are telling the whole story. It obvious that her organization is weak. The underdog with no experience seems to be better organized and winning, I just can't understand this, it doesn't fit the argument. If 35 years of experience is all it takes then Clinton should be the one winning. She was leading in all the polls and what happened? This is the Litmus test for the quality of their experience and if she fails to win this nomination then she should be content to be in the Senate and write another book explaining to her supporters what happened. She surely underestimated the Obama guy!! Voters are getting smarter now, contrary to the views of some contributors here!!! They can tell the difference between what is fairy tale and what is real!!! They know they don't have to like someone to vote for them.
    Her problem is not Obama, it is the wave on which he is riding. To stop this momentum she will have to stop the wave, which has a life of its own.

February 13, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  87. teresa

i also agree with the person from canada..its bad when someone not close to the situation can see what is happening...the media should have a gag put on them

February 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  88. George Wilson

By winning Texas, and Ohio she can have the lead in delegates again. You must remember that she isn't that far behind in delegates even though she hasn't won as many states outright as Obama has she has taken off a lot of delegates because she has had vote counts in the right places. If she falters in either Texas, or Ohio, then she will probablly fall too far behind to be a real challenge, however it could still go to convention. The truth of the matter is, no matter who the nominee is for the Democrat Party, the people of America will have a chance to make a hugh change in the direction this country is headed.

February 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  89. gary

Ask Colin Powell to join Senator Hillary or Senator McCain Campaign.

February 13, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  90. Jason

Momentum is tough to fight, because as human beings we like to pick and be with winners. There are very few die hard believers in anything these days save religion. If Hillary Clinton doesn't get the nomination it will all be because of the media's obsession with Obama, and how the media and the Obama camp interpreted comments before the SC primary. In doing so, the normal stay home voters became enraged by false reporting by pundits and decided to vote to say "Yes we can." These same enraged voters won't return in November unless the McCain camp missteps into something that can be twisted too. If McCain plays it smart he will be the next President of the United States of America. Then the MSM will be happy, so they can have someone in the WH they can't stand. If Obama gets elected will the same pundits who elevated him to the top really be able to report the truth to us IF he did anything wrong? Stay tuned.

February 13, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  91. Ern

Nothing? The media killed Edwards from the get go. Remeber haw little attention was paid to his campaign when it all started? No, of course not.. He had plans that he was articulating to the people. But because you couldn't find any thing to exploit in his campaign you chose to ignore his campaign and concentrait on Obama and Hillary, because they were quibiling like a couple of siblings trying to get Mama's attention. Well it worked for them! and Edwards was lost and unheard in the fray.
    Now that you have chosen your darling I have noticed CNN is basicaly doing the same to Hillary. I have noticed you are spending a lot more time airing stuff about Obama than Hillary. almost 2 to 1.
    HMMMM Makes me wonder who choses our political leaders. Media or the people?
    Ern, Turlock, Ca.

P.S. You going to delet this from the responsis too?

February 13, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  92. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

Hillary can not stop Obama. She has dug her grave when it comes to the White House. Passing Obama's win's off because of the black vote, or the red state vote, or a caucus state does not and will not fly with Americans. Passing by the majority of the US as being not important to her campaign will be her undoing.
    Which by the way is fine with me; I do not want a president in office that passes me by with out any conderation because she does not need me; all Americans are important, including the poorest of the poor to the wealthiest of the wealthy. WE all matter and she just doesnt get it; however, OBAMA does and he is proving it every day.

February 13, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  93. mireille caza

Jack,, there is only one thing to stop the 'moovement' at this point is for her to be negative, but not souhaitable. Because when you turn negative, bad stuff coming out and that is no good at all, even for BILL... know what I mean?

Mtl, que,

February 13, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  94. rbrannan

First, Hillary needs to fight for the delegates she earned from Florida and Michigan . Obama has been sour grapes and trying to change the fact that Super Delegates are not forced to follow the pledged delegates of their districts. He's sour grapes because more Super Delegates side with Hillary; not because , as he says, he cares so much about the voice of the voters being heard that said , "Obama is our guy". If he truly cares about ALL the voice of the voters being heard, then he should have no problem with Michigan and Florida delegates being reinstated as their voice overwhelmingly shouted, "Hillary is our girl!"
    Second, people can only make a true choice when they have the opportunity to compare and contrast. Hillary needs to hammer in the point that she offers more than Obama. Obama might represent "Change we can 'believe' in"; Hillary is "Change we can 'count' on." While Obama represents "Yes we Can": Hillary is "Yes we can–BECAUSE I HAVE A PLAN". With Hillary you know exactly where you're going; with Obama it's like following the pretty music of the Pied Piper.
    The more debates, the more momentum for Hillary as Americans will realize this substantial difference between Hillary and Obama.

February 13, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  95. Keith from Irving, Texas

She can't stop Barack's momentum, Jack.

I stated last week that Hillary had already peaked because she and her campaign staff had under estimated both Barack and the American voter.

The only thing that can stop Mr. Obama's momentum now is Barack.

He is "a breath of fresh air" for millions. He is now engaging Americans from every ethnic, social, geographic, financial, gender, and age background in our great country. He's now taking away from both Hillary and McCain's bases.

He is telling Americans (who want to believe) that it's OK to can believe in "the possible" again... And there's is nothing more powerful than a movement based on real belief in CHANGE.

I'm 57 years old, and was a Hillary supporter. I'm now a supporter of the American people again, and it feels great!

February 13, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  96. ajks

Hopefully she won't.!! She is now talking about Obama being nothing but promises. Did she even pay attention to her own speech in Texas last night. We watched her on CNN while awaiting the election results. She promised the people of Texas everything but the kitchen sink–if she is elected. I am an independent white woman who will vote for Obama or McCain–in that order. She is a phoney and gives me the creeps!!!!

February 13, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  97. chris kelly

She doesn't need to...Hillary can just wait out the rest of the primaries as long as she doesn't lose by 70 points in each state. Then, with the help of Bill and their cronies, the Clinton's can pull the rug out from underneath Obama stealing the "Super Delegates" like thieves in the night. The Clinton's live in a world in which the end justifies the means...you just wait and watch the action! Don't forget to watch the Clinton action trying to get the DNC to include Michigan and Florida, which all candidates agreed to boycott prior to the primary season. Hillary and team are trying to change the rules on that one too! That's Presidential? .... NOT !

You have to hand it to the DNC, they really know how to embrace and encourage corruption within the Demcratic Primary process - it's good entertainment for the press...sad but true!

What a Soap Opera...only in America!

Chris – Alpharetta, GA

February 13, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  98. Lesley - Vancouver, BC

The only way Hillary can prevail is if the American people come to their senses and vote on substance rather than style. I haven't felt this queazy since George Bush was swept into the White House by equally zealous fanatics.

February 13, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  99. Brian

Jack

No way will Hillary stop the Obama express. Take a good look at the Potomac primary results and you see that there has been a significant defection of white voters, latino voters and believe it or not senior voters away from Hillary. On March 4 the party is over for Hillary. Bring on McCain.

Brian
    Sarasota

February 13, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  100. Peter, Kentucky

You know what? People from all walks of life and political parties are showing that they positively want someone who speaks and broadcasts hope and self-reliance and appears to have the integrity to be in it to serve the American nation. If Hillary can do this, she might save her campaign. But all we hear are the same old self-serving cliches generated by the same old political machinery.

February 13, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  101. Allen P Massachusetts

Jack,
    I voted for her in our Primary just because Kennedy and Kerry endorsed the other guy. I believe the only way Hillary has a chance now is to do something neither she or Obama has done. She needs to engage with her supporters at those face to face events in such a way that a direct and immediate response delivers something of substance. Try by asking us if we are willing to make some type of contribution and what would that idea look like, then see how the rally responds with their answers and respond to those suggestions. To date, no one has truly asked the American people what we think we should do. "Going Shopping", I don't think so... No matter what, I'm supporting the Democratic nominee come November. Could we be any worse off at this point???

February 13, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  102. Rick

She needs action from within the Bush Administration. That seems to bring most domestic issues to a halt...

February 13, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  103. Remy Villeneuve

Looking at the primaries from an outside perspective in that "country up north", and being myself involved in politics, it's pretty much clear that Clinton's wings are stalling and that she's now out of momentum. Obama on the other hand is getting a kick in the pant from the positivism he beams to his audience which lifts him up with this rising current.

Whatever happens in November, America cannot continue on it's present course. Good luck neighbors!

February 13, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  104. Alan-Buxton, Maine

She can't! People are sick and tired of the same old, same old B.S. that she spouts and are looking for something new. The more Obama wins the more he will continue to win and Hillary will be left in the dust of her outworn platitudes and deceptions.

February 13, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  105. Linda in Florida

Jack, I for one, don't want her to stop him!

February 13, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  106. Clinton fm DC

A dramatic and visual media-based initiative could change the dynamic: throw down the gauntlet to Obama to make all future campaign appearances, debates, etc. in the nude...oh, wait! That's what Obama should be asking for! Sorry.

February 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  107. Paul

Stopping Obama's momentum all depends on the remaining voters. The Clinton campaign will now begin throwing as much negativity toward Barack while spinning the facts and act like the underdog who is being attacked. If the voters believes Clinton's desperation then Obama's momentum slows down. If they see through it all the momentum gains even more traction and Hillary is finished. It all depends on the remaining voters and whether they fall into the Clinton trap or not.

Paul
    Michigan

February 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  108. Ann, Newton, New Jersey

Not a thing. Now that he is the front-runner, all she has to do is sit back and read and listen to what will now be dug up in his past. Will be either better or worse than hers.

February 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  109. Sheila from NC

Remember the Tortoise and The Hare or the Little Engine That Could?

I want this kind of HOPE!!
    Luke 11:9-10
    Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks, it will be opened.

I want to be part of something that has Infinite Possibilities. Not limited to the Status Quo.

February 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  110. Kevin from Elk Grove, CA

Tough question Jack.

Going negative hasn't worked, she must resort to the politics of fear.
    I suggest a red-white-and-blue eye patch, and a Don't-Tread-on-Me-Pantsuit.

A coerced endorsement from Linda Tripp would also be helpful.

Kevin.
    Elk Grove, California.

February 13, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  111. Sharon

I don't know what she can do to catch him now. For this entire election, she has faced criticism from her opponents, from the Republicans and from the main stream media. Some how the first woman with a serious shot at the Presidency has been painted as the "status quo" candidate, and people have failed to realize that one of the reasons her negatives are so high is because she was the first to really try to redefine the role of First Lady. If she had played along with what was expected at the time, and didn't try to tackle health care, I'm sure she wouldn't have drawn so much fire. One of the reasons so many Republicans may like Senator Obama, is that he is more critical of Senator Clinton than the Republican party. We'll just have to see if that holds true when he has to be more specific about what he actually stands for in the general election. And, Obama supporters had better hope their spitefulness doesn't alienate Hillary's supporters and keep them from voting during the general election.

February 13, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  112. Mary

Jack, Hillary would be quite ok if you people in the media and press would report the news instead of trashing Hillary and taking a side with Obama. You people seem to be in love with Obama, just like you were with Bush, when you talked about Gore's sighs, and Kerry's flip flops, and we got Bush, 2 wars, hugh deficit, hated in the world, hugh gas prices, terrible economy, no privacy as we had been spied on without warrants, etc., etc., etc. We don't know that much about Obama as you people in the media and press, treat him with "kid gloves," and ask him nothing of substance. I am sick of the media and the press the way you cover politics. Know you won't read anything negative but at least I had my say.

February 13, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  113. abroo Las Vegas

How about try to "find her voice "....again.

February 13, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  114. Ken KS

I would think if she is on top of her game in the next debate, she may slow his momentum. She'll have to take Texas and Ohio if she is to go on top. Pennsylvania might put her ahead to stay. I just wish the candidates would quit giving us, the voters a bunch of fluff, and give us specifics on how they are going to get done what they are promising. Whichever one of them becomes our president, they have one awful mess to clean up after the mess Bush has made.

February 13, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  115. Terry North Carolina

Jack
    This has become a tough road for Hillary, her husband has done a considerable amount of damage by attacking Obama, I dont think she has recovered from this. In the meantime the American people that want change especially the younger voters have gotten behind Obama and this has made a difference for him.

February 13, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  116. BobW Rochester, NY

"That will highlight how much more she knows about the issues and how much more effective she would be as President. Obama is just a pretty face."

Policy wonks do not make the most effective leaders. You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you can't bring people together to implement your ideals, the knowledge is useless. Also, Hillary's approach seems to be one that says her knowledge is the best knowledge and she has little room for dissent or input as reported by White House staffers who worked with her during the Clinton years.

Obama has a blend of both. He has a deep understanding of the issues, plans for addressing them and the ability to collaboratively implement them.

Unless Hillary can become less of a policy wonk and more of a leader, she is done for.

February 13, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  117. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Hillary could try crying again which previously stopped Obama's momentum or how about just try turning the calendar and start all over.

February 13, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  118. BSC

Clinton will not need to stop Obama. The GOP will if he's nominated.

February 13, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  119. dan in hopkinton , mass

Threaten to run as an Independent. She won CA, NY, NJ, MA, and FL. With those states, FL excluded, traditionally going blue in November as an ( I ) she has a better chance of winning than he as the democratic nominee. They need her more than she needs them.

February 13, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  120. Alex Smith, N.C.

She has got to do whats she doing, be herself and sale the issues, but just do it harder. The ad she started in Wisconsin I believe is great, you guys are going to call it negative, I call it exactly right. Obama hates the isses, he runs very flat and gets alot of ideas after Hillary. Amercia needs to get out of this trance before it is too late, one word "change" is not going to run the nation in these terriable times, issues and strengh are. Wake up people, it is not "Yes WE CAN", it is "YES WE WILL", which is what Hillary said the other day, the "will" of the people are the strengh,

February 13, 2008 at 3:43 pm |