February 13th, 2008

Congress wasting time on steroids in baseball?

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

All eyes on Capitol Hill were trained on baseball great Roger Clemens today as he denied using steroids.

The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, along with much of the national media, remained transfixed for hours while the award-winning pitcher insisted he never took steroids or human growth hormone.

If that's true, it's hard to explain an affidavit from Clemens' former teammate and friend Andy Pettitte, who says Clemens admitted to him as long as 10 years ago that he used HGH. Also, Clemens' former trainer Brian McNamee testified in those same hearings today that he injected the player 16 to 21 times with steroids and HGH between 1998 and 2001.

Let's see, we have the subprime mess, the housing crisis, a possible recession, the war in Iraq, health care, Social Security, terrorism and this is what takes up our time – worrying about whether Roger Clemens used steroids a decade ago?

It's good to see we have our priorities in order. A daytime made-for-tv dog and pony show put on by a bunch of irrelevant old congresspeople so they can get their faces on television. It's no wonder a guy like Barack Obama is gaining traction.

Here’s my question to you: Does Congress have better things to do than worry about whether Roger Clemens used steroids 10 years ago?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Michelle from New York writes:
I think it is incredibly sad that people are worrying about where they will live if they can't make the mortgage payments, or how they will feed their family… while Congress, once again, is wasting taxpayers’ hard-earned dollars on whether or not Roger Clemens used steroids 10 years ago. Maybe we should take their salaries that they are wasting and feed families or make mortgage payments for some unfortunate good people.

Bill in Wisconsin writes:
What happened today in Congress is truly absurd, and I could not improve on your characterization except to say that the Oversight Committee really made itself look foolish today. It is a real tragedy and a very scary sign that Waxman and company are spending this much political capital and destroying any thought of their credibility when they should be looking into allegations of high crimes and misdemeanors on the part of the current executive branch.

Donna writes:
Thank you, Jack. I have steam coming from my ears. Both my sons are in rotation to Iraq for a balmy Baghdad summer and these clowns are discussing baseball and steroids. Would a line drive upside the head get them to focus on real problems?

Linda writes:
This is a hideous display of what our priorities are and I'm not just talking about Congress. This trash appears to be what the American public is interested in. Talk to practically any American and they can tell you more about Britney Spears, Heath Ledger, Natalie Holloway, etc., than they can tell you about where particular politicians stand on particular issues.

Steve from Palmerton, Pennsylvania writes:
Jack, I was hoping you would ask this question. It gives me the opportunity to say that I can’t imagine that any legislative body in the history of the world could have ever exhibited a more infuriating and boring waste of time than the U.S. Congress with these stupid steroid hearings. I will be deeply grateful to you if you would exploit every opportunity that presents itself to ridicule and humiliate them for it.

Filed under: Congress
  1. teri

who is paying for this?!? if the money needs to be spent, put it in MY pocket!

and, keeping needles and gauze?! for this long? Please, did he keep it all just for this? what kind of scam is that?

February 13, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  2. Rex in Portland, Ore.

As much as I would like to see baseball a clean, drug-free sport, I cannot see that it is the business of Congress unless there are federal laws which specifically prohibit the use of steroids in sports and there is some concern that that the laws are being methodically ignored by the Justice Deptarment. Congress should keep its hands off and let the courts settle the dispute between Baseball and The Players, Baseball and The Public, and The Public and The Players. If there are laws which are being ignored Congress should investigate the Justice Department, not Baseball.

February 13, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  3. Ted

Heck yes. What about the steriods they put in our meats. Why aren't they getting on the meat industry because growth hormones in meat is not good for the rest of us either. And the just say no campaign has been a big joke from day one.

February 13, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  4. Dan from East Lansing, MI

No, of course not. There's just the economy, the budget, the national debt, the war in Iraq, the war on terrorism, election reform, education reform, the sub-prime mortgage crisis, illegal immigration, tax reforms, the Patriot Act, Guantanamo Bay, illegal wiretapping...

...but, of course steroid use in baseball supersedes most if not all of that. So I understand the coverage.

February 13, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  5. Ray

Congress definately has more important things to be accomplished. However, this will get more media play than real issues.

February 13, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  6. Brian M. From Fort Mill, S.C.

No, congress isn't wasting time. They don't have anything better to do. No important budget bills that need to be voted on, no health care initiatives, no debates on war policy, wiretapping, or anything like that.

Besides, what better way to get their approval ratings up than to fry Roger Clemens for doing something that was legal when he did it?

February 13, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  7. NelsonR

Why is Congress with a deplorable approval rating, even lower than our Chief deciders, wasting time on this Clemens debacle. I thought with our economy sinking and involvement in a never ending war, those issues would be paramount. All this only enhances the need to rid ourselves of incumbent representatives.

February 13, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  8. stan

With all the problems in the US right now such as economy, immigration, war in Iraq, you would think that our stupid congressman such as (D)rep.Waxman could concentrate on the problems instead of wasting his time on this. Maybe we should fire his rear and let him devote his efforts fulltime to such time wasting crap as this with no pay and benefits.

February 13, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  9. Bob David

They absolutely have better things to do with our tax dollars! Why in God's name are they involved to begin with?? This should be a matter handled by MLB and if they deem necessary could be brought to the attention of local authorities. Let a local DA determine if charges are applicable.

Bob
    Rome NY

February 13, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  10. Rennie Frank

I am sick of the steriod investigations, not to mention Senator Specter calling for an investigation into the tapes and notes NFL Commissioner Goodell destroyed from the Patriots spying case. I mean "come on" how much thought did Congress put into the FISA bill they passed yesterday in the Senate, which will offer retroactive immunity for illegal activity by the executive branch of our government. I believe that our country has too much of a win at any cost mentality today...all the sports scandals...and lets face it the robber baron attitude of big corporations today...but this is sports. Athletes are not threatening my civil rights or robbing me blind and jeapordizing my health trying to save a buck or two by allowing lead based products to find their way into my home. Congress should be ashamed ... I frankly don't care one way or another who is lying to Congress, Clemens or McNamee, and CNN's current online poll asking this question is another example of the idiocy that seems to be rampant in our nation. Congress could at this moment be doing something about Bush's blatant disregard for the Geneva Convention by "approving" waterboarding...but..."Mr. Clemens did you use performance enhancing drugs?" Hey...where the hell am I, and what happened to My Country!

Rennie Frank
    Stevensville, Montana

February 13, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  11. Jeri

If they won't Impeach Bush and they won't stand up to the Republicans, who cares. And that stimulus package, you do realize it's not a tax cut, it's a loan on 2008 tax returns that will come back to bite a lot of people! It's evil, it's purely Big Business and screw the people Bush Policies!

February 13, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  12. Tyson Stoner

Hey Jack, I wasnt sure if you got my post I sent in earlier.
    The question that you posed is exactly what I was thinking earlier when I saw some of the congressional hearing with Clemens. We truely are living in a bizzaro world now. We sit around and care more about entertainment in this country than we do about actual problems that we face. I watched some of the hearings thinking to myself. My GOD clemens is on the hot seat about taking a drug that wasnt illegal at the time and will in all likelyhood tarnish his career forever. While Scooter Libby got of pretty much scott free for outing a CIA agent. Wow what a contrast in how we think in this country. First off, Is it really any business of the Congress whether or not Clemens used steroids, Heres the government trying to get their grubby little paws in everything. Look what they helped make our country into, I wouldnt count on them too much to fix the problem in baseball. Lets face it pretty much everything in entertainment is shallow and fake. So why dont we include sports and government into that equation. Listen, I love baseball and sports just as much as the next person, But I love my country a whole hell of alot more. We currently have soldiers dying everyday around this world under the banner of democracy. Lets ask those families that lost loved ones that they will never be able to touch or look at again whats most important to them nowadays.

Thanks Jack,
    Keeping fighting the good fight.
    Tyson Stoner (35)
    Lexington South Carolina

February 13, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  13. Tony,.......Lou, Ky.

Jack..........Of course Congress has better things to worry about. There's a list a mile long on what they "should" be doing. This steroid crap is a waste of time and money, then again, so is Congress. I say....." The more that die from steroid use, the more people might learn not to use it". We dont need Congress investigating pro sports. Any moron knows some atheletes use steroids at some time in their career. Congress never did anything about it 10 years ago, so why bother now? Its a joke.......as is Congress!!!!

February 13, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  14. Al, Kansas

Here's my question to you. Does the media have anything else to do besides cover this story. The only reason for these hearing is to get members of congress on TV. Put your cameras somewhere else and I guarantee they will all show up for the free publicity. How about having congress work for a day putting up a house in New Orleans...I bet a lot of them would show up for that. Just stop covering this stuff and they will move on.

Al, Lawrence Kansas

February 13, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  15. mike

Regarding Roger clemens, just do a lie detector test and stop waisting time and money.

February 13, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  16. Fern Gladstone

No! Just like in the Presidential race this is important for our kids. There are two lessons don't use drugs and don't lie to Congress!

My take of it:

I guess this is a judgment call and there will be opinions ranging from guilty to innocent. In my judgment after listening to the whole performance I say GUILTY AS CHARGED!
    What did it for me is the way Clemens fancy lawyers ducked the request for the Nannies name. Clemens then inviting her to his house before she was to give her deposition to the committee, and the resulting deposition that had her placed at Canseco’s home. Clemens and all his friends say he was not there. The Nanny said he was there, his wife was there, and their kids where there. The culture of sports where the owners, players, and agents will do anything to keep this disgusting drug culture a secret; shame on the whole bunch of them. Baseball players are outlandishly overpaid, their greedy, and its time for them to institute the salary cap like they have in football. The kids in this country deserve better than this. I gave up on baseball years ago for these very reasons. (GREED & DRUGS) I suggest others do the same.

February 13, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  17. scott Britney

Jack,Nero fiddled while Rome burned.We prefer to talk Baseball for our wennie roast!

February 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  18. Jim Galvin

This is an opportunity for a few congress men and women to get all giddy around a few sports superstars.

Yes, it is a waste of of congressional resources, but then it makes for good television.

But not anywhere near as good television as the debates with the 'best political team' on television when moderated by 'The Wolfman'.

February 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  19. Dave Brooklyn, NY

What else do they have to do. They have endorsed the shredding of every last page of our Constitution by Bush. They have immunized corporate America from any legal action by any trod upon citizen. What could possibly be left.

February 13, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  20. Paul Critser

Yes, and why is CNN wasting time covering it when on top of everything else the FISA hearings are happening and Bush quietly aborted the FOIA ombudsman?

I want news, Jack.

February 13, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  21. roxanne

OK its2:30 and I have watched the hearings since the minute they have started and now I,m sick of it. With all the things that we have to worry about I have to sit here and hear these congressman wasting my time to see if Roger Clemens and now his wife used steroids and that loser liar administered them illegally to them. I have chrohns disease and have to use these dugs everyday and anyone who uses this stuff to get buffed can trade places with me. All they do is make you sick and any jerk who takes them for any other reason doesn,t deserve my hard earned disability money. We know they are bad when not used for their intended purpose.Either stop the illegal traffiicking of them or show the kids what real harm they cause with the money OUR MONEY you,re wasting. Let the millionaires in baseball clean up their own act and stop wasting OUR money thats why we need a new group in washington.. Is it november yet I can't wait to get to the polls From Roxanne in Spring Valley New York

February 13, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  22. Scott LaFever

Jack,

With our economy going in the toilite, people loosing there homes and jobs, drug abuse out of control in this country and children shooting each other, our elected officials hold hearings on a few baseball players juiceing up. Are you kidding me!! These congress members should be thrown in jail for deraliction of duty and misapropriation of tax payers money. This kind of gross neglagence has to stop, maybe with a few of them in jail the rest might start thinking with there brain instead of there ass.

Scott
    Rogue River, Or

February 13, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  23. Barb, Michigan

This country has American dying, still, in Iraq. Our nation's debt is out of control. Millions of Americans have poor ,or no access to medical care because they lack medical insurance. The school systems are cutting their budgets until they bleed because of lack of funding, and the high school drop out rate continues to rise as do illegitamate births. The infastructure of this nation is crumbling. And, for all we know, illegal immigrants are smuggeling nuclear weapons across our borders, not to mention the illegals that are putting a financial strain on our economy. And you, Jack Cafferty have the nerve to ask if Congress is wasting it's time trying to solve the doom that befalls our nation with the use of steroids among millionare athlets? For God sake, man, at least they're finally doing something. It's at least 95% more than Congress usually does.

February 13, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  24. Jed in Chico, California

Between wars on two fronts in the Middle East, allegations and admissions of torture from the CIA and State department, and fears of a recession bringing down an already beleagured economy, no, Jack, I can't think of anything more important than Roger Clemens possibly using steroids at a Jose Canseco barbecue party that noone remembers because it was10 years ago.

February 13, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  25. Mary Whartnaby -California

Jack-Congress wastes time no matter what! Why are they interfering with a sports dilema that should be settled through a court system.
    And what should we look forward to when a new President is elected and Congress still remains "do-nothing"?

February 13, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  26. Greg from PA

I'd rather have Congress waste their time on these insignificant issues. They are such a bunch of screw-ups I don't want them messing up the nation any worse than it is. It's time we take our country back and get rid of the career politicians and lobbyists who have sold us out.

February 13, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  27. Tom, Avon Maine, The Heart of Democracy

When Roger Clemens needlessly gets thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis killed, turns millions into refugees, and trashes the American Constitution, I say we get him, but till then why not impeach the bozo who did?

February 13, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  28. Mary

Of course they have better things to do, but this makes it look like they are doing something.....sigh. We all know why they are stuck on baseball as opposed to steroid use in other sports, don't we?

Remember that state of the union address a couple of years ago when GWB mentioned steroid use in baseball during his address to the country? At the time, I thought ....Huh?

Need I say more?

Mary from Florida (where the votes never seem to count!)

February 13, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  29. Raoul from Lake City, South Carolina

This is easy, Jack... YES!!!

February 13, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  30. Fred

Pundits, prognosticators and anyone else who is still scratching their head and trying to figure out why the current primary season has defied all polls and logic need look no farther than the Roger Clements hearing presently being conducted by Congressman Waxman.

Does anyone really believe that this hearing is being conducted in order to protect the children, as was stated at the beginning of the hearing? Of course not, the evidence on steroids is more than sufficient for Congress to enact proper legislation to deal with them. You do not protect children by destroying the reputation of the athletes whom they admire, whether rightly or wrongly.

With everything else that is going on in the world that needs urgent attention what a waste of time, taxpayer money and confidence in the government this hearing is. The spirit of Joe McCarthy is alive and well and sitting at the right hand of Congressman Waxman.

February 13, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  31. Ron Parsell

Talk about out of touch! Can these Congressmen think we give a damn out here about steroids and Baseball millionaires when we're losing homes, losing jobs, losing lives, and we have a crack dealer just up the street on the corner ? Waxman looks just like the nutcase who ran the committee before, the GOP's Cong. Dan Burton. Neither are doing a damn thing for Americans. Give'm Hell Jack !!

February 13, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  32. Tom

Time??? How 'bout money!! These clowns (congress) are tough on a civilian who pays his own way through life, but seem to look the other way when one of their own seem to go astray.........and I'm talking about Cheney and Bush. The clowns seem to get frustrated over the lies that muddle this case on illegal steriod use but dont seem upset by the 900 plus lies Bush and Cheney told not only to the US citizen, but to congress themselves that led to thousands of U.S. lives lost, untold civilian Iraqi lives lost, not to mention the seriously injured in an unjustified war. Where does congress get off thinking that they are now doing something useful and meaningful to the American public? It's time for a revolution.

Y-town, OH

February 13, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  33. Phil in Wenatchee, WA

This is an MLB issue! Congress..keep your noses out of this and do something constructive, like maybe putting in a 5-day workweek focusing on issues that are IMPORTANT!

February 13, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  34. Lisa, Ft Lauderdale, FL

Wouldn't it be nice if this much scrutiny was brought to bear on the question of why we went to war with a country that did not attack us, or where the missing billions of dollars spent on that war disappeared to, or what was said in those secret meetings in the vice president's office about our energy policy or how banks and brokers colluded to get so many of my neighbours into the sub prime mess? Oh hell, that would be too much to ask anyway!

February 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  35. Eric

Are they wasting time? Of course. Is everyone aware they are wasting time? Of course. Why are they doing it?

It brings lots of eyeballs to the tube, which increase the value of ad dollars and brings big money into the pockets of media conglomerates whose lobbyists have a great relationship with congress.

Did you think it was because Baseball is America's pastime?

February 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  36. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

Jack, Congress has a wide variety of things to do. Who really cares about what Clemens did or didnt do 10 years ago. This whole thing is a waste of time, and most of all money; I am curious as to how much this is going to cost taxpayers?
    Congress should be addressing:
    1. The national homeless problems
    2. The lack of jobs decent paying jobs in this country $7.00 will not pay rent, utilities, groceries and basic living costs.
    3. The living conditions of seniors at those so called senior homes.
    4. Senior citizens buying canned pet food to eat because thats all they can afford.
    5. Education
    6. Economy..

There are so many pressing issues that are by far more important than Clemens or the baseball steriod use. That is why we need to replace everyone, the congress, senate and the white house. They just really dont get it and do not appear to care when it comes to important issues facing Americans every day.

February 13, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  37. W B in Las Vegas, Nevada

well let's see, we now have the so called "stimulus package" for the "Bread" and the baseball investigations for the "Circuses". this country is looking more and more like 'The Fall of Rome" every day.

February 13, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  38. Eric in Alpharetta, GA

Did you think it was because Baseball is America’s pastime?

February 13, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  39. Scott

sure jack, but they wouldn't want to use there time doing what the people elected them to do.
    like, impeaching bush and his little dick(obama's cousin,as he so proudly points out often)Chaney.
    nah! that would be competent

bowling green,mo.

February 13, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  40. Fredo

No it is not a waste of time. Cheating in baseball in this fashion is like stealing!!

February 13, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  41. earl illingsworth

Great Question,Jack. I live for baseball, not the Pro's, but the Minor League's. I see things, and hear things, that aren't pleasant. It's tough on these kids today when their paid to perform, or else they get the hook . I often see the stress ,and not the healthy kind in their faces. If they speak up, there "History",very sad, but true! The," Major League Players Union", have given the offenders a "Card Blanc", and if Congress really didn't get involved, Bond's, Clemen's,etc.would get off the hook, with Congress once again having failed the publics trust, in what I percieve as America's, "GREATEST PAST TIME" sport ! Play Ball....Answer to your question ,"Totally Ban Steroids".

February 13, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  42. Bob in Massachusetts

After watching the hearing today, I am glad they are spending their time at the hearing instead of important matters since most of them cannot put together a meaningful sentence. I doubt most of them could lead a one person parade in the desert.

February 13, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  43. Beverley, Fredricksburg Va

Jack,

We have become a nation of cheaters! Students, athletes, businesses, politicans, immigrants, spouses and taxpayers now all live by one creed – it's not the cheating that's wrong – it's getting caught! We can not continue on this path of doing whatever it takes to win! Yes, we have bigger national problems, but all of those will also get better if we re-establish ethics and honesty in our personal and professional lives.

February 13, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  44. Paula

There's got to be something more important to deal with, but I have to agree with the previous poster that since our politicians are such screwups maybe we're better off if they stick to a non-issue: instead of a grownup problem like getting out of Iraq or rebuilding our infrastructure. My husband wanted to know if these "products" were even illegal back then? Shouldn't this be an issue for the Sport and not Congress?

February 13, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  45. George Wilson

No, they are doing our country a favor by taking this up before it becomes so rampid that all of our kindergarden students are shooting steroids on the playground so they can outplay their playmates. This has gone much to far already, and people like professional athletes need to play by the rules. They are looked up to by many young persons as heros, and heros don't need steroids to be heros, they just need to be the best that they can naturally be. Always having the edge on is not all that important especially when it comes to breaking rules to try to make yourself a better player by doing so. Some will argue that this isn't really important. but these are people who don't worry about what effect it will have on our youth if it is allowed to continue.

February 13, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  46. Isaac Emano

Absolutely! But why start now?
    Does anyone recall the congressional hearing held back in September ("From Imus to Industry") that dragged musicians to Washington to have them defend their right to use the so-called "n" "b" and "h" words, while congress put on their usual holier-than-thou display?
    Some people are terrified by the thought of using taxpayer dollars to fund universal healthcare and other controvertial proposals, yet we continue to allow our public officials to spend our tax money scrutinizing celebs and athletes while our most serious problems go unsolved.
    This whole steroid circus is just another pathetic chapter in the long history of our goverment getting involved where it shouldn't and wasting our money in the process. Let's hope all this "change" everyone's talking about includes some new members of congress who have our country's priorities straight.

Isaac Emano
    Hollywood, FL

February 13, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  47. Buzz Baier

Jack, as a nation we have so many serious issues that there is not enough space to do each one justice. I don't care that some dork took steriods ten years ago. I don't even like baseball! Yes, Congress is the biggest waster of time on this side of the Atlantic! According to my sainted mother, it all started when they built themselves a country club

Buzz in Pleasant Hill TN.

February 13, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  48. Michael, Tampa Fl

Why are we wasting the public's money on this show....cares!! With all the problems we have in this country it is beyond me why our elected officials see this issue as something needing a hearing. Let the baseball suits handle it!!!!

February 13, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  49. Ray

Yes, Congress does have better things to do. They should be holding hearings on if movie stars get facelifts, nose jobs and if their breast are real or fake. Americans have already accepted the fact that the government is broken, but fakes and phoneys in the entertain field are what voters will be focusing on in November.

February 13, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  50. James from Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    Since their not in recess or on a corporate financed vacation we should all be damn proud to see them working on something that doesn't involve borrowing money from China.

February 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  51. Jess, Ohio

Jack,

It's amazing, you had Valerie Plame's cover blown, CIA torture tapes destroyed, and millions of emails 'vanish' from one of the servers inside the White House. These are all matters of security breaches in which the White House is FULLY aware of. Besides little ol' Scooter Libby being the scapegoat, have there been any REAL consequences?
    Now, after ten years, Congress is wrapped up in Clemens' possible use of HGH? 'Welcome to the United States Congress where 'Priority' is our last resort. '

February 13, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  52. Beth

If congress doesn't have better things to do than investigate Roger Clemens steroid use, then America must be in much better shape that she seems to be. Imagine what might be accomplished if congress dealt with the really trivial matters like the war and the economy...The whole thing is disgusting. What's next on the all important docket...whether the New England Patriots cheated at football?? Wow!

February 13, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  53. chris kelly

Who does Congress think they are helping? Themselves...certainly not the American public!

...and to top that one off with a doubleplay, watch Congress vote and approve a salary increase of 20% + AFTER the General Election because they have worked so hard. Mark my words.

Chris – Alpharetta, GA

February 13, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  54. Larry from MO.

Jack,

You are wrong! The answer to your question is NO! I think this issue should be brought to the public's attention in the magnitude it was. I personally know what it was like to compete in a sport where enhancing drugs were used. It is impossible to compete against these odds. It gives the athelete a huge edge. This will send a message to all atheletes, young and old, to keep it clean. Work hard and do it legally and results will come. It will come only with hard work and love for the Sport. This is well worth the 3 hours of the committee's time.

Larry

February 13, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  55. Daniel From Tempe AZ

Yes, yes and YES! Can I give them a few ideas? The economic mess, skyrocketing energy costs, the Iraq war, illegal immigration. And that is just to name a few. I could care less if Roger Clemens did or did not use steroids, he plays a game, and that is all that it is, a game! People in this country are losing their homes, and can not afford to buy medicine they need, and this great bunch of politicians are worried about this. Makes you go huh?

February 13, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  56. Ann, Newton, New Jersey

Since baseball is the American past-time, that is where this mess should stay – in the past. His trainer has admitted to lying in the past, so it is he said-he said. I don't believe he kept all those syringes and cotton from all those years. Congress should be having better things to do with our money.

February 13, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  57. Bert D

You bet they do. I can't believe the amount of time they've wasted on this. Professional sports will never regulate themselves. Why doesn't congress just pass a law requiring regular drug tests by an independent lab, make the players pay for it and if they don't want to do it, don't let them play. Simple, problem solved. Or is this another piece of legislation that needs a veto-proof majority to become law.

February 13, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  58. Cory Price

Does congress have better things to do? You betcha..it's called Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution which outlines specifically the job of congress. You don't need to refresh yourself on this founding document to determine steroids is not in it. I find the current proceedings abhorent.

-Cory P. Price

February 13, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  59. Cathy Norem, West Fargo, N.D.

As much as I would like to say I can't believe Congress would waste precious time on such nonsense as whether Roger Clemens used steroids or not, I can't. It is believable since they've been in office this term, they've done nothing that isn't nonsense. Instead of taking care of the economy, or trying to mend the housing fiasco, or get illegal immigration under control, or start impeachment proceedings against Bush and Cheney, they waste time and money on this.
    This should be left up to the baseball comissioner and his people to handle and fix.
    I don't care whether Clemens used steroids, that's his problem, and saying that holding these hearings will keep it away from little leaguers and high shool athletes is not realistic.
    I think Congress needs to get back to working for the rest of us and not just a select few.

February 13, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  60. Annie, Atlanta GA

Jack,

I really think it's time to start paying congress based on job performance. All they've accomplished on our behalf this last year is raise the minimum wage slightly. They should have to pay back the salaries they didn't earn, and give back their raise. I, for one, have had enough.

February 13, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  61. Allen P Holyoke, MA

Jack, I watched this circus event today and I have to truthfully admit that it was the most wasteful spending of taxpayer money than you could imagine. There was an admitted liar, claiming to be a doctor sitting there boasting of the P.H.D. he got through the mail and the congressional hearing members were asking this guy questions as if he was credible. There was a lawyer with what appeared to be A.D.D. squirming about and making the most god-awful distracting faces who was mostly ignored by the Questioners. And then there was a the baseball hero who was alleged to have committed the crimes by the liar at the opposite end of the table and it all seemed so bizarre. It was an unbelievable display of Congress looking to place a modicum of self importance upon itself and it failed dismally in my view... No wonder we can't get things done for the people of this country.....

February 13, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  62. Alan-Buxton, Maine

I would much rather this bunch of moronic, inept, brain dead, delusional stooges concentrate on steroid use than try to pass legislation which will continue to bring this once great country to its knees. Let them waste their remaining months on irrelevant issues and leave running the country to their successors who cannot possibly be worse.

February 13, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  63. Ken KS

With all the troubles Brittney Spears is undergoing, and trying to keep track of Paris Hilton's next party, on top of which lucky kid gets adopted by Angelina and Brad, and what about Lindsey Lohan? My gosh I hope she is doing all right!

What do I care about some overpaid, over ego has-been baseball player? I cried when Hulk Hogan and many other wrestlers were caught doing the same thing, but I ot over it. I don't waste my time watching these steroid happy clowns crying about not getting more millions of dollars for playing sports. Professional sports is a contriction in terms.

Let's look at issues which really affect this country, such as health care, tax breaks for the middle class, illegal immigration, bringing our troops home from an illegal war. Oh, by the way, when are Campean and Ramos going to get released from proson for doing their jobs. Some Americans sure have different priorities.

February 13, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  64. Terry North Carolina

Jack
    I guess this is the best that congress can do , Roger Clemens and the New England Patriots filming the Jets. They could not do anything about Iraq, our economy, illegal immigrants, and George and his staff destroying tapes left and right. So let them tackle something important like the party at Jose's house.

February 13, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  65. Rick - Nashville

There's about 720 Major League players. Some – not all of the elite mulit-millionaires have made the conscious decision to chemically enhance their marketability, and risk the longer term adverse affects. They, have little concern over the cost of the health care consequences. There are about 290 MILLION other Americans. Many of us, DO have health care concerns. That concern, along with other issues on the House Oversight Committee's agenda might be a better focus subject.

Congress has such little faith in our parenting skills, and in our educational system, they choose to look into new ways to protect our kids from the evil hord of baseball players, rather than encourage enforcement of existing laws.

This is just NUTS!

February 13, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  66. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Yes, Congress has better things to do than spend time on Roger Clemons steroid trial. However, if it keeps them busy enough Bush won't be able to do anything irrationable without them.

February 13, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  67. John

Waste of time...? Perhaps they could waste some time with one of these hearings, on figuring out why the heck the U.S. Govt. has the final word, in over seeing a professional sport and their conduct. However, it was quite entertaining to watch the bi-partisanship expressed at today's hearing. Come to think of it, now i can't think of who's time was wasted more. Mine or the countries!

February 13, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  68. Larry Kozoyed

Todays hearing got Clemens to admit he used steroids ... but apparentlly nobody
    caught it when it happened!!!! Near the end of todays testimony Mc Namee was asked if all those individuals to which he had administered drugs .... where they aware of it?

Mc Manee quickly and quietly respond.. Yes. Quickly shift camera to Clemens... who just as quickly says..."Except for me" How does this compute with Clemens continued claims that he never took steroids.

Larry
    Portsmouth, Virginia

February 13, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  69. Burt Sun Lakes, AZ

Our pious members of Congress are so intent on crucifying someone on their made for TV special provided by the American media that they forgot what they were elected to do. I think the whole bunch should be tested immediately for Alzheimer's disease.

February 13, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  70. DAK

Jack
    It shouldn't be the job of Congress to police baseball, but they should make sure baseball does! What bothers me the most is that our kids idealize sportspeople and while we know that there are some really rotten apples out there, do our kids know? Or will they copy these behaviors?

February 13, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  71. Lou Viola

I'm glad I live in a world so safe that CNN and the other so called news outlets can devote a day of hearings to this issue, while yesterday's vote in the Senate to shield the telecom companies from lawsuits resulting from Bush's shredding of the Constitution received barely a mention.

We deserve what is coming to us as a nation...

Lou from Brooklyn

February 13, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  72. mohan

why did CNN telecast the roger clemens's trial in congress wasting so much valuble TV time?

February 13, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  73. Joe, New Jersey

Who cares what stupid ball players inject themslves with? If they wany to
    comit suicide, let them. Can't believe Waxman et al. are wasting so much tax payer money. What a bunch of morons.

February 13, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  74. J. Parrotti

I guess there is not more to add than what the aove blogs covered, which are my thoughts exactly, it it so depressing to see time wasted on such matters. Who really cares, people will still pay the outrageous ticket prices to see these phonies, I do feel sorry for the kids who look up to these jerks.

February 13, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  75. John Hannagan, Wilmington, DE

I feel much safer that Congress is wasting its time on the steroids issues. As long as they are doing that, they are not raising taxes, undermining our national security, messing up our economy, schools systems, social security, etc. etc.
    Thank God for Clemens and Pettite. Americans owe you both more than you can imagine. Keep the blowhards occupied.

February 13, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  76. Tony

Just more evidence of how out of touch our Congress is with the real issues facing this country. It is way past time for change!

February 13, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  77. Don

The U.S. economy slides into a recession. Our national debt is burying us. Our manufacturing base continues to be gutted. The dollar continues to slide into some bottomless hole. Our soldiers continue to suffer in a protracted war. What does Congress do? Let's find out exactly how Roger Clemens was able to get that extra "something" on his fastball. And Congress just can't seem to understand why it is that they have such a low rating. Gee, I just can't imagine why.

February 13, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  78. Daniel Lynch

I dont care if they took steroids. If my kids make decisions on their drug use based on some guys and girls they don't know then I didn't do my job as a parent. I am to blame not Roger Clemmons.

This is a mess. The MLB Commissioner should be fired for dragging the sport through this mud. Look at Roger Goodell and how he handles the NFL. Take a lesson!

As for Rep. Waxman. I was surprised he didnt run to McNamee and give him a hug and kiss. How impartial!

Enough is enough. Lets get these GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES back to the Social Security Issue.

February 13, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  79. Ciaran

Dont forget about Britney Spears either – I havent heard anything about her all day and Im starting to get withdrawal symptoms. Beacuase of this I got up from the TV and accidentially wandered too close to the window and almost realized there is a world full of more important problems out there

February 13, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  80. Felix Giordano

Put simply:

WHO CARES!

February 13, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  81. Jo M. Bailey

Roger Clemens is not and has never been my favorite player. That started with Mickey Mantle and now Derek Jeter. I do like and respect Roger Clemens and believe that people want to "railroad him because he has been on top". I think that Rep. Elijah E. Cummings and some other people on the Oversight Committee were entirely WRONG in their words and actions and opinions.

I watched with "open mind". Senator Mitchell did not intend to "smear the players" in his report. McNamee is totally someone to not trust. or believe. He lies more than he tells the truth. I believe that people on the whole want Roger Clemens to "be brought down" and I am ashamed of their hearing.

I was ashamed before and still feel that they have much more important business to conduct. I was astounded as to the way they acted in the previous one with Mark McGwire. Had I been all of them, I would have Pled the Fifth.....looking back. Mark was retired and was not playing.

Please know that people do care about their sports. My personal doctor said there are football players in my city of Memphis, TN that take steroids with the blessing of their parents and coaches. But Congress wants to blame MLB. Give me a break!

My doctor goes to these schools to talk against steroids and he thinks that MLB being "targeted" is ridiculous!

Congress and Public, know you guys hold a man's reputation in your hands and it is deplorable to think you apparently don't care or want to make a circus out of it and let the MEDIA run with the spectacle. It is appalling. Totally

Jo M. Bailey

A baseball fan, a political activist and a concerned citizen of the United States of America.

A young person's hero is more important than you are all giving importance to it!!!!!!!! Can we not have heroes without someone wanting to tear them down???

This is important!

February 13, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  82. Bruce St Paul MN

Whether Roger Clemens is telling the truth is completely off the point. Steroids and HGH are a problem for athletes in high school, college and professional sports. I have heard with my own ears my son's high school basketball and football coaches plus his college baseball coach say to him " we want you to get bigger". Not because he is small. That's what they say to all their players. Get bigger. They do not say to use steroids. They are talking about the weight room. But the inference is that if you want to play, if you want a scholarship, if you want the big contract, get bigger. Many good athletes are risk takers by nature. That's part of what makes them successful. They will do whatever it takes to succeed, to win, to advance, to keep playing. Their world is one of constant competition. The coaches who recruit the "big" players are the ones who are acclaimed as great recruiters. In MLB, commisioner Bud was praising Mcguire and Sosa in 1998 for "saving" baseball. Evidently he was not concerned about how they were able to change their bodies, gain such strength, hit the further more often than anyone at any time had done. They were putting money in everyone's pockets then. Now they are looked at as cheaters. It seems like the baseball management and the national press want to have it both ways.

February 13, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  83. NelsonR

Must double post from Truckee. I get so incensed by not only our Government but the MEDIA who must take culpability in this present fiasco that intrudes into every news channel this time and date. I'm sick of hearing about Clemens while our soldiers die for an aggressive and unneccessary war of aggression, our infratstructure suffers, our illegals pervade our society, yet here we are forced to watch every media news outlet with the same exact Clemens B.S. In conclusion, sorry Jack but your employer is part of the problem in America today. Why not put Anna Nicole back into the equation?

February 13, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  84. Jason

Who Cares!

I play Fantasy Baseball, let them take a shot of the Juice daily I need the Stats!

Florida

February 13, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  85. Terry B

We would like to think our elected officals have our best interest at heart. After all that seems to be the platform, most of them rode to get elected. One would think ; with a faultering economy, war, inflation, housing worries, oil and gas prices, Congress could find something better to do than waste an afternoon talking about baseball's steroid scandal.

February 13, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  86. Bren from IN

I thought I was the only one who thought that someones priorities were out of whack. I feel alot better now that I no that I am not alone. But, al this should have been expected. Let's face it, our last president was picked by the Judiciary which is a politically based branch of the government. If they can pick the president, why can't they pick the World Series, Super Bowl and NASCAR champions. I am really trying to believe in our elective process but I fear that since priorities are so far out of control in Washington, our next president is once again going to be decided by politics and cronies that it is out of the peoples control.

February 13, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  87. Clinton fm DC

Jack,

With Clemens and his longtime trainer telling exactly opposite stories, this is a time for a little "hair of the dog"–what drugs can do, more drugs can undo. Shoot these two drug sleazes up with truth syrum (sodium pentathol?) and put them back in front of the committee. A side benefit: this idiotic story drags out even longer.

February 13, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  88. chama

Do we have to restore our sports image in the world too? Congress should start to debate if we should still call our dope infested sport 'world series'.

February 13, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  89. Ted, Portland OR

How is it that Congress has priorities that include listening to at least one admitted liar testify, and the security and integrity of the United States, IMPEACHMENT, is off the table. Simple, both Nancy and Harry are Bush league players.

February 13, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  90. Mike from Tennessee

It is a sad day when America cares more about a baseball players use of drugs, which by the way, Management knew about and didn't care to much about it as long as it raised revenues, then families not able to pay their bills, their labor rights being stripped away, and yes now, our very rights as citizens being eroded with FISA in the name of National Security. Some folks would say, "Well, Ronald Reagan would tell you if your doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about with the FISA law" sic But, tell that to the folks during Nazi Germany times who were told "Give us your guns, and we will protect you". Same principle. We Americans have gotten to a point where our freedoms are being eroded day by day and we say nothing. We are very close to living in a corporate controlled dictatorship. And believe me, the Iraq war has nothing to do with nothing but MONEY.

February 13, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  91. Steve Pfingst

Are there bigger problems facing this country than steroids in sport? Yes. Does that mean we ignore the problem? No. Baseball certainly didn't take care of the problem and it sends the wrong message to just look the other way. It isn't about Clements, it is about atletes being clean and competing fairly, and the future health of young atletes caught up in the win at any cost attitude that got us where we are today. I think this is an important issue and am glad to see it addressed.

February 13, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  92. Ian Carlson

It's absolutely amazing to see this crap make it to Congress! Please, tell me that the disappearance of the middle class, Social Security, or the current state of the economy isn't a little more important than an overpaid athlete trying to cheat or not. I don't care if Mr. Clemens sniffed a glue stick...I need Congress....check that...I need the entire government to solve the problems that all Americans face not those of high priced baseball players.

If Congress wants to clean something up, maybe they should start in the White House....who knows what’s under the rugs in the Oval Office.

~Ian~ in Detroit

February 13, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  93. Sheila from NC

Is this what experience gets us? Kick them all out and give us Change. Enough of this pathetic hypocrisy.

Iacocca says it best. Where Have All the Leaders Gone? We should rev up the outrage and get screaming mad over the kindergarten club that is running our country down the tubes.

February 13, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  94. Renee

Absolutely, too much of Congress' time is being wasted on this steroid problem! Steroid use is a personal choice made by knowledgable adults so they can play a GAME; not a government issue at all. Should Congress address next the drug use of entertainers in the movie industry? I'm as liberal as they come, but government involvement with moral issues is misplaced.
    I request that Congress use their power and resources to better healthcare, the economy, our safety as it relates to borders and infrastructure.

February 13, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  95. Rob T.

Baseball is entertainment and our Government shouldn't be involved in it whatsoever. I say let them juice up and give us 900ft homeruns, maybe this will cut down on the whole "hero" aspect that people like to tag players with. Bring on the Juice League!

February 13, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  96. Bill

I believe congress would rather grandstand for the cameras than roll up their sleeves and tackle really important issues. This is why so many voters are fed up with congress. Don't worry about this drug case...let the cops take care of it. Congress is broken and unable to address politically sensitive problems because it might bring negative publicity and hurt re-election chances.

February 13, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  97. Neatha Snyder

The US Congress has not business worrying about Baseball and Football problems, those should be left up to the organizations to deal with. This Congress has never had it priorities straight. From Terri Shivo to Roger Clemens.

Even if Federal laws were broken by Clemens, let the FBI take care of that, we do still pay those people to do invesitgations into this type of crime, right?

February 13, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  98. Kevin- Webster, MA

Considering the skeletons in their closets they (Congress) has no business wasting taxpayers, time and money on a witch hunt like I witnessed today. Make steroids illegal, get caught, get punished. This nonsense I saw today with the star witness admitting to lies 13 out of 17 statements was like watching daytime TV court show, They are like a dog with a bone, bury it, dig it up, bury it, dig it up.

February 13, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  99. Katy

That is all they capable to do; they can’t do anything that is bigger than their pea size brains.

February 13, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  100. John Bush

Don't forget about passing a gay marriage ban, that should be the highest priority!

February 13, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  101. Pete Latino III, Lafayette LA.

Complete waste of time Jack. Our leaders, yours and mine. Please find something worthy of commentary.Unfortunately just commenting is participation. Guily as charged.

February 13, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  102. Chuck Cheesman

Yes. Congress does have higher priorities – ending a war, fixing the economy, and addressing environmental problems would be a good start. However, it is also good to see them addressing cheating in sports. Sports have become a big business, and as in corporate business it seems honesty is not given much emphasis. Congress has an obligation to the citizens of our nation to regulate business. They've dodged that responsibility for years. This may not be its top priority, but at least it is a start.

February 13, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  103. Alan from San Angelo, TX

My representatives never answered why The White House juiced up its "Lessons Learned" report on Hurricane Katrina. Why didn't they bring in Fran Townsend to explain her free pass for the hospital with the highest number of patient deaths post landfall? LifeCare got not one mention in Fran's investigative report. Funny, this same Congress failed to ask LifeCare's owner, The Carlyle Group, about it. They had their chance to grill Carlyle exec's during their review of the ManorCare purchase. Instead Congress played Santa. If Carlyle can fail one of twenty one LTAC's in a time of crisis, what can they do with 500 mostly nursing homes?

February 13, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  104. Daniel

Congress has wasted millions of dollars on steroid investigations. I believe that the majority of Americans do not care if any baseball players used steriods. Maybe congress should actually do something constructive that actually helps the American people. I know it has been so long since they have actually accomplished anything that they may have forgotten what the american governmental system is suppose to do. You keep hearing congress representatvies say that this investigation is to insure that our children understand the consequences of using steroids but what they don't understand apparently is that kids our going to use steroids no matter what you tell them because that is part of our society. Americans and people in general are always looking for a quick fix or easy way out instead of working for what they want. It's the American way I am sorry to say.

February 13, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  105. Michael in Illinois

Of course it's a waste of time. But what a profitable waste of time. CNN.com has had the hearing as its lead story all day. The same with the cable version. It's a waste of time that help make the corporate sponsors money. RATINGS! WEB HITS! War? What war? I don't think CNN has mentioned it all day. Very sad.

February 13, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  106. David Earls

Why is Congress wasting our tax dollars with this investigation. If they are really concerned about drugs affecting an employees performance, why don't they test themselves and open their finances. I am much more concerned about Congress on drugs and taking bribes affecting laws and my quality of life. Let sports deal with their own problems. If they are truely concerned about young athletes, they should implement a program requiring high school athletes take part in a steriod education program, requiring all athletes to sign off that the schools had educated and provide materials on the dangers of steriod abuse.

February 13, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  107. Eduardo

Yes, this is a complete waste of time. The last time I checked sports fall under the entertaiment sector of our lives. Baseball has no effect on whether I can put food on my table, provide health care for my family, or be able to afford the high cost of gas prices. I am very upset with the increasing number of problems that this contry has and here we are worrying about if a multi-millionare like Clemens took steroids. This is worse then hearing the news about Britney. let's face the facts: if i care about what famous people are doing I'll look at the tabloids not Congress.

February 13, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  108. Ryan

Typical Democrats in government, wasting time and taxpayer dollars. There are real issues that need to be worked on, but who cares? Just goes to show those in government dont speak for us, something our enemies figured out a long time ago. What a shame we show these debacles to the world...we look like idiots. Thanks!

February 13, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  109. Jamy

This discussion is only because it's a white guy. If it was Barry Bond or Vick, the media would sound different. The land of opportunities and race.

February 13, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  110. Les Lyon

Lets see, we have an unjust war going on in Iraq. A president who thinks he's an imperior. Our economy is in the toilet, and all congress has to do is investigate baseball players.
    I'm so sick of the whole mess than I'm ready to start watching old Lucy re-runs.
    And please guys, enough with the Britiney and Paris coverage.

February 13, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  111. Claudio

Jack,

I'm glad congress looked into this issue, tomorrows agenda ;Teenagers smoking pot at Dysneyland. I don't know about you jack, I feel good knowing my government is looking out for us. Oh by the way, I guess we're out of the resession.

February 13, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  112. Larry Tincher

What a waste of time and our money!! If someone broke a law, Law Enforcement should handle it, not Congress! It's no wonder the general public has such a low opinion of our Congressional leaders! All they are doing is getting tv exposure. I would think they should have more important things to do.

February 13, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  113. David Volz

Interesting that the hearings seems to be so split among party lines, with Republicans trashing McNamee and Democrats asking pointed questions to Clemens. Any chance this has to do with Clemens Texas' political connections?

February 13, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  114. Sandra - Illinois

The congressmen wonder why their approval rating is so low. This happening 10 years ago is more important than taking care of our financial crisis, making sure that our veterans are really getting the care they need, or why the financial community allowed the housing crisis? They had to know that raising these homeowners interest rates was going to be a disaster. Then, of course, I doubt that any of these "leaders of our country" worry about living from pay check to pay check. No, they are spending their time messing in a 10 year old sporting problem.

February 13, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  115. Jeremy

Hi,
    Thanks for listening to me on this subject as well. I voted on the quick vote poll about who is telling the truth Cnn has up on the site. My answer to that question is Andy Pettite the middle man cause you have one story on one side and another story on the other side but, the truth lies somewhere in the middle of both of those stories. I want to understand how you can save needles,gauze and other things for any amount of years that have been used it's gross first of all then the question, why would you have reason to do that ? On top of his past lies?
    Now, Roger Clemons and his situation to me is His wife got it to use for her and chances are to me it was through Roger himself because of his use of HGH.
    also, He's close friends with Andy Pettite who he says is honest and true plus he's shown some of that with his own admission in using HGH and if you are as close as you say you have been then how do you not know or even possibly be apart of using yourself ?

Thanks, Jeremy in Park Hills, Missouri

February 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  116. DavidJ from Atlanta

Why is it that the people in the caboose can see that the bridge is out but the engineers cant? How this issue has anything to do with the running of this country is beyond me. I would like to see congress address the issues of war profiteering, bank fraud and trade imbalances.

*Thanks for the blog, Jack. In this age of critical mass media your reports are some of the few that tackle relevent topics head-on*

February 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  117. Tom Duke

It goes without saying that congress has better things to take care of. But the congressmen couldn't buy that kind of face time on TV. It is shameful to use taxpayers money for such a wasteful display.

February 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  118. Mike from Tennessee

The Drug companies have taught the publicans to say "Socialism" and "Communism" when Universal Health Care is brought up to scare folks who can't even pay their bills into hunkering down. Universal Health Care at its worse would be better than the corporate right wing high dollar scam that is going on right now. Congress needs to debate that. Oh, they can't their owned by the Drug companies.

February 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  119. Andrew, Austin TX

This is pathetic. What's more pathetic is the way the media trumps this up, placing it on the front page of almost every national news outlet website. Fix the things that matter to the citizens, I seriously doubt that anyone in America will lose any sleep over whether Roger Clemens 'cheated' to get his muscles or not.

I certainly don't think my neighbors, who had a son die in Iraq, would care one damn bit.

Shame on congress, and shame on the media. Media should serve as a channel for criticism against frivolous use of federal funds like this.

February 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  120. Steve

Thank you! This is what I have been thinking for days about the "news" of this upcoming hearing. What the heck is congress thinking? What a mess: a non-functioning self-serving body of privileged do-nothings. And while we're at it, how come members of either house that run full-time for another office, for like a year or more–and I play no party favorites here, even though I support one–don't have to take a leave of absense so those of us back home who elected them can actually get some representation while they persue their higher goals!!

February 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  121. Abby

There are many more important things for Congress to focus on:
    Veterans of this god forsaken Iraq nightmare who come home to sub par health care, rehabilitation and employment opportunities.
    Guns in schools
    Environmental degradation, illness due to pollution.
    Failed infrastructure, roads, bridges, levies.
    Crime, poverty, homelessness, hunger, human trafficking, child abuse ...

Anything other than whether these overpaid athletes are shooting each other up in the rear end.

February 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  122. dan richter

Not only does congress have better things to do, so does major league baseball. THis witch hunt has possible outcome that is beneficial for anyone. Whatever happens tarnishes the game, Roger Clemens and all the other players named, Sen. Mitchell and all of congress. What will be done as a result? Do we really need a congressional hearing to decide that something was going on and that something should be done? It's time people in this country started taking responsibility for their actions and do what needs to be done rather than trying to decide who is guilty and who is to blame.

February 13, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  123. Jerry Morris

It's about time somebody started questioning what those birdbrains in Congress are doing wasting their time and my tax dollars oln this kind of publicity stunt.
    I thought they were supposed to be governing a nation.
    Come November my old Republican vote is looking for a big change.

February 13, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  124. JM

This is so typical

We have a mortgage crisis, jobs leaving the country, an administration who ignores the constitution and Congress is interrogating baseball players . Don't they have detectives to do this through traditional law enforcement ?

I think everyone who is in should get voted OUT .

EVERYONE !!!!! All of them !!!!!! NOW !!!!!!!

February 13, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  125. Dolly Hoffman

It's about time that someone made this observation! Last time I checked, MLB was not governmentally controlled - so why is Congress involved here? To prove that there is steroid use in sports? We've all been aware of such fact for years!
    As members of Congress are known to have the highest absenteeism - perhaps this is a way they can get on camera to evidence that "they are doing their job". As a taxpayer in the most miserable tax bracket (the middle class) - I can't believe that my tax dollars are being spent on this ridiculous exercise! As with most of these congressional investigations - it just makes for tabloid tv! I don't recall any beneficial legislation resulting from any of these investigations.

Dolly Hoffman
    Island Park, NY

February 13, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  126. Paul Banks

Looks like some of the 'roids leaked into Roger's ego.

Paul in Brooklyn