January 25th, 2008

Bill Clinton: political attack dog?

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton campaigns for his wife in Greenville, South Carolina. Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Bill Clinton, former president of the United States turned political attack dog, is apparently helping his wife's presidential campaign.

The New York Times reports that Clinton advisers say the former president's aggressive stance against Barack Obama is resonating with voters, and they plan to keep him on the campaign trail in a major role after the South Carolina primary.

They say the benefits of having Bill Clinton challenge Obama are worth the trade-offs of perhaps overshadowing Hillary or damaging his own reputation.

In fact, campaign officials acknowledge that the former president is deliberately playing "bad cop", and predict a voter backlash against Obama if it ends up being Bill Clinton who looks like a victim. Whether it's working or not there are those who suggest this is no way for a former president to act.

Peggy Noonan in today's Wall Street Journal: "Bill Clinton, with his trembly, red-faced rage, makes John McCain look young. His divisive and destructive daily comportment - this is a former president of the United States - is a civic embarrassment." She goes on: "...The Clintons are tearing the party apart. It will not be the same after this. It will not be the same after its most famous leader, and probable ultimate victor, treated a proud and accomplished black man who is a U.S. senator as if he were nothing, a mere impediment to their plans."

Here’s my question to you: Should a former president be acting as a political attack dog on behalf of his wife?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Julie writes:
I used to be a big Bill Clinton fan, but no more. I am embarrassed and saddened by his actions over the past couple of weeks. His behavior is totally inappropriate for a former president. And it makes his wife look weak, as if she needs him to fight her fights. This is not what I want to see in the White House come 2009. Count this 58-year-old white woman from California as a definite Obama supporter. Yes, I'd love to see a woman president, but not THIS woman with THIS husband and THESE sleazy tactics!

Janet writes:
The only attack dog in your premise is quoting Peggy Noonan commenting on Bill Clinton. To follow it up with a slanted question referring to the former president as an "attack dog" puts you in the same junkyard as Peggy.

Sandy writes:
I am a loyal Democrat and I am dismayed that a former president would stoop this low. When this race started, I was torn between the three now remaining candidates. However, I know that if Hillary wins the nomination, I will not vote this year. Her husband’s attacks show that they are not above "politics as usual." Our country needs a change in direction.

Mike from Kansas writes:
Jack, In the world of politics these days, it appears anything goes. Bill Clinton an attack dog? Are we supposed to be surprised? The irony is this tactic does work... The real question is: do we the American public have enough brains to find the best candidate through all the garbage?

Richard writes:
Democrats stood by Bill Clinton during his tough times but I'm pretty sure we won't stand by any Clintons, ever again. They clearly are only interested in one thing: power and obtaining and retaining it at all costs. My rose-colored glasses are off and what I see is not pretty.

K. from Savannah, Georgia writes:
This is a family matter. Barack, the son, has been giving mommy, Hillary, a hard time. Now daddy is home.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Heather

Yes! Bill is her spouse so what if he is an ex- President! The key word is EX. Should we go around saying if your spouse is a lawyer than they cannot campaign for you???

January 25, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  2. Allen L Wenger

I think that even an ex-president should have the right to free speech in this country.

January 25, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  3. Veronica

Of course the former president should campaign for his wife. That said, it would be nice if he stuck to the truth when speaking about her opponents. Mr. Clinton appears to have gone to the Lee Atwater School of Political Campaigning and it's not very becoming.

January 25, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  4. Bert D

I used to like Bill Clinton, especially during his first term in office. I felt like he really represented the common people. Then, something happened. As a result of his impeachment threat, he gave in to the Republican push for NAFTA. I still think he made a deal to give them NAFTA in exchange for his remaining in office. Now, he has beome one of "them", the people we refer to as "they" when we talk disparagingly about our government. I don't believe he believes what he tells us anymore. Likewise for Hillary. The two of them are reminiscent of the depraved power hungry Washington elite I have come to dispise and they represent exactly what is rotten in Washington.

January 25, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  5. Scott

should any spouse support thier wife without passion?

scott missouri

January 25, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  6. Rich Dallas, Texas

Who cares? No one has listened to Bill Clinton since he uttered those famous words on public television years ago, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". You can not change a dogs spots. The American people didn't care about Bill's sexual indiscretions what they cared about was he Lied when he got caught. Once a liar always a liar and Hillary is connected to that lie at the hip. Bill Clinton is exactly why Hillary Clinton will never be president.

January 25, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  7. Chuck

Jack; I see nothing wrong with Bill Clinton standing-up for his wife, though as a whole, I think they should ALL stop the "carping & childish-bickering" about one another and get on with what Americans NEED to know! "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO, AS POSSIBLE LEADER OF THE U.S.A.? HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GO ABOUT REPAIRING THE DAMAGE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE TO OUR COUNTRY AND RENEW OUR IMAGE IN THE EYES OF THE WORLD?"
    Thank-you Jack and GOD BLESS! As an American I appreciate this right......(even though it may be "politically incorrect.")
    Chuck OH

January 25, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  8. Richard Sternagel

No, of course not! Bill Clinton is an ex-President and he should act like one instead being a divisive factor in his own party! Win by any means for the nomination may cost the Democrats in the fall election! Who can endure another 4 years of a Bush protege?

January 25, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  9. Kirk, Ohio

I think it's disgusting the way they (Clinton Campaign) are acting. The office of President is one that needs to be dignified and show a relative reserved confidence, even for former Presidents. His losing his cool like he is and attacking Sen. Obama in the manner he is is just sad. Time to get back to the issues and leave the personal lives of other candidates behind. He should remember that he will be remembered as the cigar President and do we all really need him lecturing us on ethics or to tell others "shame on you". Shame on you Billy boy, Shame on you.

January 25, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  10. Tom Bulger

No matter what your definition of "is" is, Bill Clinton is a historic liar. As such, he has no business acting as though he has credibility.

January 25, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  11. Dari

Jack:

No he should not have.........He has 'sullied' the role of being a former president.

But you know what they say Jack:
    When you lay down with a dog and end up with fleas!

January 25, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  12. TLC

Jack, maybe its time to remember that the former president was once impeached and should be now treated like "Old Yeller". Neither he nor his wife should be alowed to spread their disease any further. The kind thing to do to sick animals is to put them away once and for all. Of course they are masters at creating fear and using it to their own benefit, just like Hillary's tears. I'd rather see Mickey Mouse in the White House than the Clintons.

TLC from Texas

January 25, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  13. Keith Terrance

It would be reasonable for Bill Clinton to criticize the actual actions and proposals of the candidates running against his wife.

It is "The Clinton's" use of innuendo, fabrications, and dirty tricks that is unacceptable.

If we had to become like Karl Rove, Dick Cheney and George Bush to win the White House, it would be a pointless victory. America is better than that!

January 25, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  14. W B in Las Vegas

not unless they are willing to fracture the party and drive off part of the base which, it appears, has happened. Fridays "Black Voters vs White Voters in the South Carolina Democratic Primary" poll shows that race has now turned racial.

NOT a good thing for a political party that needs unity to win in November.

January 25, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  15. Craig

Jack, It does seem somehow beneath the dignity of a former president, but consider who and what he is. Politics aside, "Slick Willy" ain't nothin but a two-timing used car salesman. Both the Clintons have spun such a web of deceit and fantasy it becomes difficult to separate the truth, if it ever existed. But we should be used to that after seven long years of Bush and Co. What a mess our goverment has become.
    Craig

January 25, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  16. june

Of course, Bill should do everything he can to get Hilary elected. It's the only way he can bypass the constitutional limitation of two four-year terms for a president. Hilary will surely share the presidency with him. Just because the rest of us try to live within the law is no reason for Bill to do the same.

January 25, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  17. Ralph

Why not, Jack - this is not a social. Clinton is well-known, and has the gift of speech as well as a knowledge of the Presidency.
    Obama's wife is no match for him, and I'm sure her husband wouldn't complain if Bill spoke out on his side. As it is, all is fair in love and war - not to mention politics.

January 25, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  18. Dave Brooklyn, NY

He has gone from the best politician we will ever see (in the worst sense of the word) to a desperate advocate grasping at straws. It is unbecoming an ex-Commander-in-Chief and these attacks will tarnish his legacy.

January 25, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  19. Wanda

No. Former President Clinton should NOT be used as a political attack dog for his wife. Hillary and the former president's dirty attacks against Obama have turned me off. I know for sure now I will NOT be voting for Hillary. If that's the only way she can get elected, using her husband (and her attacks too) then she can't do the job.
    Wanda

January 25, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  20. Michael Coogen Lorton, Virginia

Man's best friend is the dog.........In Hilliary Clinton case, Billl will be her worse nightmare. She needs to pat Bill on the head and tell him to lie near the fireplace. She has to establish her own "presidental identity" because it is obivious, Bill's legacy was truly flawed by his character and behavior.

January 25, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  21. Kim

It is a disgrace to witness an ex-President telling half-truths and lies just to get back in the White House. His attacks on Obama have been unprofessional and vicious, but that's what gets votes with the voting public so his actions are brilliant - even though dishonest and repulsive. The U.S. should be convinced after the Clintons displays of dishonesty in South Carolina NOT to bring them back to the White House. They will jsut bring 8 more years of partisan bickering and we need something very different from them (Obama or McCain).

January 25, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  22. Diane

Jack – Bill Clinton is definitely not helping Hillary at all at this point. Ex president or not, you don't send your spouse out to attack – if she can't handle this campaign on her own, and its looking to many people like she can't, then time to get out.

I believe alot of people are wondering at this point who is actually running, and furthermore, who will actually be running the country should she win this election.

Time for a vacation Bill, and if Hillary can't make it without your political attacks, then we're all better off, aren't we???

January 25, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  23. David Harlow

A good husband should support his wife and defend her from attacks. Seeing that a former first lady has never ran for President before. Bill is setting new precedents. There is no previous example in American History to judge Bill Clinton by.

January 25, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  24. LCB

Jack,
    I would want my husband to support me and fight for me no matter who he is. This is just nonsense.

If Democrats want the White House they are going to need an attack dog, and like her or hate her, that dog is Hillary. Why do you think that the Republicans spent so much time attacking her during the Florida debate and not Obama? They know what Democrats need to come to terms with, she will not be easy to beat.

January 25, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  25. Pat in MIchigan

should Bill suport Hillary? yes.....should he resort to low dirty lying tactics to show his support for Hillary? I don't think so, it very unbecoming of anyone and an Ex-President you should maybe expect more from. Sorry Bill but I hope Obama takes the high road and you don't get that free run of the white house with no responsibilities......God Help the interns

January 25, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  26. Peter

Yes. I listened to Baracks wife attacking the Clintons today. I think that any spouse sould support one another. Bill just happens to be the X President. Barack knew that going in. Did he really believe that Bill would sit on the side lines and watch the parade go by?
    peter

January 25, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  27. Sam

Jack- Yes, I do think Bill should be sticking up for his wife like any good husband should do. He knows what she is capable of doing. He was the President for 8 years for the US and who knows her better than he does. You know that old saying "Where there is a Great Man, there is a even greater woman behind that man."

January 25, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  28. Linda Shortt

I voted for Bill Clinton twice and feel as stupid as the people who voted twice for Bush must feel!
    It wouldn't be bad if he was campaigning for her , but he's not, he's spreading untruths! I think that was his specialty, wasn't it?
    I wouldn't vote for either one of the Clinton's for dog catcher now, I think too much of dogs!!

I only hope Barack can hang in there, I can't give him my vote until May!

Linda

January 25, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  29. bnthdntht

I think he is just bringing out the facts or questions newspapers are scared to ask. President Clinton once stated the rightwing of the republican party was racist and he said something to the fact that they used words in the halls of congress that they would not use in public.He was the only one with guts enough to state the obvious. As a black man I have known people(friends) who have spoke to me about racism in America that they could only know about by being white.

L.M.,Arizona

January 25, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  30. Wings

Attack dog... I guess that's really all he's good for anymore.
    If there are teams in this campaign for the Oval Office, I'd much rather see the Down to earth team of Barack and Michelle. It's a far better combination, than the special Interest/lobby/st paid-off pair of HIllary ond Bill. Hillary can only wish she had 10% of the class of Michelle.
    Michelle stands with her husband with a similar style and grace we haven't seen since Jacqueline Kennedy.

January 25, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  31. joli

Please! This is what politics is about. Both camps are attacking each other Obama just seems to complain about it more. Whats he gonna do in a general election? Obama is too generic he never answers why the accusations are false and he doesnt ever take any questions during his town halls?! Im sick of all this generic change, hope and happiness...

America check your sources before ordering because your much anticipated Obama burger may end up being just a bun ....where is the BEEF?!

January 25, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  32. Vinnie Vino

Jack,
    Why not, If the attacks work she'll win and if not she'll lose. So what, she should tell Bill to do it more...

January 25, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  33. Waltie, Ma.

Jack:

With the negative history that Bill and Hillary have in tow, all the baggage that will appear during this election, I find it laughable that he (Bill) would say anything at all, on any subject!! To me, his word is pond scum. He turned his back on the middle class during his 2nd year in office and the press did nothing, nor did the party and the special intrests had a ball, and still do.

As for the attacks the he has put upon O'Bama, half truths, telling half the story does not make it. He should talk, of all people. While I was a Hillary supporter, I can not find it in my being now think of even having either of them once again, in our house, the "Peoples House". I hope that the American People, will do a lot of soul searching within and make there voting decision based on the history that the Clintons have had and not the false promices they say they will bring. They have both, had there chances, and delivered nothing.

January 25, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  34. Tim , NV

Absolutely not. She had better be able to stand on her own and defend herself with out him. Thats what those who chose her will expect. He is giving Republicans with empty guns bullets to shoot with in the upcoming race.. He is Arrogant.

January 25, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  35. Don

Jack,

Well at least you have this one right, Billy is a dog!

January 25, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  36. David,San Bernardino,CA.

A former president does not give up his rights as an American just because he has left office. Bill Clinton has every right to campaign and stand for his wife. A former president is not a potted plant!

January 25, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  37. Ryan Farrar

Teddy Roosevelt once acted as an attack dog on his own former VP whom he'd endorsed an election ago, dividing his party and running against Taft which landed Woodrow Wilson in the White House; so certainly it's been done before, and in more direct ways. Basically, Obama supporters think it's unfair because it's working for the Clintons. I kinda think he owes this to Hillary. It's his special way of saying: "Sorry about the whole Lewinsky mess, how about I make you president?" If anybody is to be ashamed here it is Mrs. Clinton for not having the confidence to run for president on her own. But all's fair in love and politics.

January 25, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  38. john

Why not, is he encroaching on someone who is “entitled” to special treatment? Let me guess, next week we will be hearing from the victim hood coalition about how “unfair” Bill Clinton has been. Seems to me we heard nothing about being an ex-president when Bush41 and Barbara bad mouthed those that opposed junior’s war crimes.

January 25, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  39. Ken KS

Hillary was wronged by the Obama camp if you listened to her speech of Dr, King, which Obama's followers made into the race card racial slam. Listen to or read it, you will see she did not slander Dr. King or African Americans. Obama should be ashamed and he lost my vote because of this issue. However, Bill could tone things down and guide Hillary out of this petty bickering and into the critical issues affecting this country. I don't care about personal issues, I care about what all these self serving politicians are going to do to fix up this mess Bush and Cheney have put us in. So far, all I've heard is the word CHANGE, followed by personal attacks. Disgraceful. America can do better than this.

January 25, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  40. Alex Smith

This is something new that this country has never had and people say change is scary. You have the Bush family but that is not a spouse, Bill has every right to say how he feels and what his experiences are. You can't look at him under a microscope like everyone is doing just because he is an Ex President. There is one person that knows Hillary very well and to keep that person behind a closed door is just like blowing a candles out in a black out, it doesn't make sense.

Go Hillary

January 25, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  41. Beverley

Been there – Done that! .... time for something else! Obama or Mccain!

Ps. Shame on you Mr. President!

January 25, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  42. joli

You know Jack its not an attack its merely pointing out stances in his voting record... I dont care whose making the accusation. It could be Chuck Norris, America Ferrera, my mother, you, Bill Clinton ... anyone. What I dont like is NOT hearing Obama addressing WHY the questions to his record are false...only his claims that they are false... and a lot whining. Please... Pageants are dirtier than this political campaign. Where is the Beef?

January 25, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  43. Jim

Jack, Bill Clinton has every right any other American enjoys under the Constitution which have not been superceded by a Bush Executive Order or other Presidential perogative. I personally don't like the bickering, but Barack has been given a clean bill of life and a very free ride in the national media. It turns out that the attack dog has found a few bones worth chewing on. Take Barack's dealings with the Chicago slum lord, his association with him goes far beyond what CNN has reported and even involves a sweetheart deal on a home for Barack and family. This man is an indicted sleaze ball and Was close to Barack. Oh yes, there are the five blundered votes Barack cast on some very important issues and explained them away by saying he pushed the wrong button. What would happen if he were president and pushed the wrong DEFCON button?

Jim
    Prosperity SC

January 25, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  44. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Yes, Bill Clinton is a political attack dog for his wife and that's why we need an attack dog catcher. Let's sic Al Gore on the Clintons since we can't put a muzzle on them.

January 25, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  45. Karen P

Bill Clinton is the epitome of what's been wrong in Washington for MANY years. He should take his speeches to China. I thought an ex-president had more dignity than what Clinton has shown. Disgusting

January 25, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  46. Louis

I dont think there is anything wrong with campaigning for your spouse, but to act as your spouses' attack dog makes a mockery of our democratic process. The fact that Bill is a former president and behaving this way makes more Americans feel increasing disenchanted with voting that I wont be suprised that a Republican would win another four years in the White House. I can't place all the blame on Bill though because Hillary's campaign hasn't yet stopped him with these tactics. Hillary could have put a muzzle on Bill's mouth long ago but hasn't because she's guilty of it too. Now she says that she has to defend herself – that's a bunch of crap! She and Bill both created these campaign fear and subliminal racial tactics. I will not be fooled into believing these statements from them both, but I ask you my fellow Americans, why do you continue to be?

January 25, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  47. James

Jack,
    Is everyone forgetting when Bill Clinton looked in the camera, staring every American in the face and said, " I did not have sexual relations with that woman." The Ex-President was and is a liar. He has no problem saying what has to be said, weather it's true or not. Thats why Hillary has him out there, it's called plausable deniability and it sounds like this, I never said that, my husband did and he's not running.

January 25, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  48. Chrissy of Natchez

I think it's his job to do just that. The rest of the offended candidates need to understand this is politics and just suck it up.

January 25, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  49. Joe

His speech is protected by the constitution just as mine is. The real question is,
    "Does it help her for him to be her attack dog?" And the answer is no. It just prepares the ground for the Republicans to stomp a divided Democratic party in the fall.

January 25, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  50. Jenny from New York

No. He should be acting as the "Big Dawg" we used to love. Being an "attack dog" isn't very endearing. Especially when it's seen he's looking to get in the way of the first REAL Black president.

January 25, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  51. Steve

He is the only reason she is even known. She cain win without him. He has to tell her what to say and how to act. He even doubles as her and Campaignes for her in different places and claims he is unbiased.
    About him being an Attack Dog, he's an old dog that has lost a few of his teeth, falls asleep and like an old dog, he hasn't learned any new tricks than the ones he has used in the past. And Jack, it wouldn't suprise me if he pees without lifting his leg anymore.

January 25, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  52. Corinne

I honestly believe the Clintons decided they had to take away the excitement and hopefulness that Obama was giving people. So they put him in a no-win situation, attack with false claims and force him to either answer, so they can portray him as a whinnier, or not answer and call him too weak to win the election against the republicans.
    What really bothers me is I really liked Bill Clinton, and for him to be the one trying to take away the hope I haven't felt in 7 years to win a third term, and lets face it, that is what's going on, it just breaks my heart. If Hillary wins the primary I will vote for her, but I will be holding my nose.

January 25, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  53. Michael M Phx AZ

Of course he should be allowed to campaign for Hillary. I just think, that since he is an ex-President, then he should act more in the manner of John Edwards and stick to how fix what is wrong, and get this country back on track. We do NOT need anymore attacks against oppents no which political party they belong to. Just stick to the facts!

January 25, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  54. Karen

I notice people expressing opinions before Jack has even listed or discussed the item.

Oh, and by the way.... I don't 'hate' any of the candidates. I don't find any of them that thought provoking.

January 25, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  55. Mike Barnes

Wow-I just read the comments on your blog, nobody hardly had much good to say for Bill. Is there a den of right wing attackers just waiting to fire away at the Clintons and that is their purpose in life? Or does this reflect the general consensus? I think he ought to be able to do what ever he and Hillary decide he should do. If it hurts her then that is their problem. I would really like to see some policy items discussed instead of this gossip. That would likely help our country a lot more than this personality issue that will be forgotten in a week.

January 25, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  56. Glenn Haymarket, Va

He certainly has the right to campaign for her but has no right to take anything a person says or does, distort it, then throw it back in everybody's face. Make no mistake, however, everything both he and Hilary are saying and doing are calculated right down to the inflection in their speech to the emotion that is being displayed. These are stone cold politicians we are dealing with and they leave nothing to doubt no matter how divisive or untrue.

January 25, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  57. Sharon

I don't think what he has said is that bad. Most of his comments have at least a grain of truth to them (that's why they're effective). However, I think the spin provided by the press (bulging eyes, red face), along with the 24/7 replays accompanied by commentators planting seeds of ulterior motives amplify his actions and words to the point where they do seem over the top.

Hillary does generate a lot of negative press, and Obama has been the media darling, so rather than throw up his arms and except defeat, I think he decided to throw a few elbows. Maybe he feels he owes his wife for some of his past behaviors.

I also don't think they planned to throw the race card, because in the long run, they have the most to lose. If Hillary can't attract black voters, she may win the nomination, but will be unable to win the general election (they are fully aware of how high her negatives are).

In spite of their actions, right now I'm leaning towards Clinton because I think Obama needs a few more years of experience (plus, I think some of his ideas about changing politics are unrealistic). If Gore should enter the race, he would be my first choice.

January 25, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  58. DeShawn

Absolutely not. Not only does Barack Obama have to take criticism and lies from Hillary Clinton. Another very powerful and influential Clinton also takes unfair jabs at him. It really isn't fair that a great man like Obama has to face the lies and the dirty politics of the two headed Clinton machine.

January 25, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  59. Karl Mabey

Bill Clinton has the right to say anything that he wants to on behalf of his wife. You need to look at the effect of his rantings. He has brought negative press to Hillary's camp and also given Obama some foder to work with.
    If you want to see what negative remarks do for a candidate, as Mitt how he did in Iowa.

January 25, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  60. Larry from MO.

Jack,

Bill's animal instincts have gotten him again. Only this time, it seems to be having a favorable affect for his master. Since his rabies attack, Hillary has been winning in every state so far. Keep it up Bill, I need medical insurance.

January 25, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  61. Cindy

I left the Democrat party this year due to the corruption and abuse of power by Pelosi and Reed.

Mr. Clinton's abberent behavior only reinforces my decision. He is being acutely devisive, not only of his party, but the nation. I am chagrined that his wife, the candidate, is unwilling or unable to stop his inappropriate comments. If she cannot control him she certainly is not prepared to guide this country.

I will not be voting for her.

January 25, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  62. Karl in SF

If Bill Clinton can't support his wife without attacking other fellow Democrats, it's time for him to shut up and go home. I have little use for Ronald Reagan, but he was right about one thing "Not speaking ill of a fellow party member" and that applies to any political party. No other spouse or former President in the history of campaigning, that I can remember in my 63 years, has attacked another candidate from their party the way Bill Clinton has Senator Obama and it's beyond disgusting. He needs to save it for the Republican candidate after the conventions. He is way, way, way out of line.

January 25, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  63. Dennis

The way that Bill Clinton is acting envokes my thoughts of disgust. He is a prime example of the slime and sleeze that have engulfed our government. Bill Clinton is the reason I take off my Baseball Cap when Traveling abroad, I don't want to be recognized as American if Bill Clinton is considered American as well. HE is a former leader of this country and should embrace it much like a father would embrace his child. The dishonor in his actions and interference that he has created in this election are counter productive to the well being of this country. Just because he has the right to speak does not mean he should. Although it would seem that responsibility and pride in ones actions are far from the traits that Bill Clinton posses.

January 25, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  64. Kevin

Sure but without getting vulgar. Bill Clinton is so wound up in himself he actually believes what he says. Their (Clintons) hit and run or say anything and then when nobody is looking take it back has been sucessful for them. The public and even those close to him have had enough of it. He is showing how little class he really has. It is obvious Bill and Hillary are meant for each other just not for the rest of us.

January 25, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  65. Surfermaw

Hillary is his wife, he should be able to do the same thing any other candidates spouses are allowed to do.

January 25, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  66. dave

HI Jack!

I think as an ex-President, Bill Clinton has an obligation to help push forward the best candidate and I, as well as much of democratic America, agree with him that Hillary is that person.

January 25, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  67. annie

Sure, why not, especially if he thinks she is being attacked. And in the end we get to see what these folks who want the top spot are actually made of. Until we change the way campaigns work in this country, i.e. length, money, etc., we might as well enjoy the blood sport it's become.

January 25, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  68. jonie

I really did respect president clinton, but him and his wife have turned me off and frankly every one that i talk to is turned off by their dirty tricks and lies against senator obama.Bill should be the last person to talk about some one. how soon do we forget, remember i did not have sex with that woman or i smoked pot but i did not enhale two of the biggest lies ever told. if Hillary win the nomination she will not be the president because she have turned people off and they will not vote for her, and iam one of those that will not vote. shame on you Hillary and Bill you need to clean up your house before you throw stones at some one else.

January 25, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  69. Julia

Jack,
    Even though I don't think Bill is helping Hillary at all, I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to campaign for his wife. Hillary's a big girl, if she doesn't want Bill helping her, she'll tell him.
    Sending my best to you and Wolf. You never fail to make me smile.

January 25, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  70. Bruce Jones

I am a Canadian and I follow American politics like many other Canadians. I find it facinating that the news media and the churlish Wolf Blitzer forment the Clinton Obama infighting. Think about it, if you folks refusd to cover it, it would probably go away. Instead it gets the coverage one would associate with 12 year olds gossoping.

I cannot for the life of me phathom the phenomena that the rest of the world thinks so highly of the Clintons and the Americans constantly bad mouth them. The American public would love to have the Clinton prosperity period (just think, no dead bright young Americans fighting a stupid war).

Wake up America and smell the roses.

Bruce Jones
    Ottawa Canada

January 25, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  71. Cindy

I wouldn't call him a political attack dog, just a spouse that is experienced in running a presidential campaign, and just so happens to be a former President. He is taking a lot of heat now because no one knows how to handle this situation. This election has been like no other.

January 25, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  72. Tom Jenkins

I'm delighted that he's acting as a "spokesperson" even if he has been labeled as an"attack dog". He's completely ruining the integrity of the Clinton campaign, and that is a very good thing, albiet not much of a challenge. On the behalf of all self-respecting Americans who had enough of a "Clinton" White House while you were in office, let me say THANKS BILL, and please keep up the good work.

January 25, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  73. JoAnn in Iowa

No, as an ex-president, he should be dignified and honest. He has been neither. I think there are a lot of people in this country who are ready for a woman to be president, but it doesn't really count if she has to use "her man" to get there. Not this woman and not with this divide and conquer method. I am sickened by the way the Clintons have injected race into this campaign and their "politics as usual" ugly style.

January 25, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  74. MARY,

No, Bill Clinton should be by Hillary's side, and support her. But he is out there thinking he is running for president. He's not doing her or anyone else any good, and probably doing her more harm. I think they should both clean their off their own door way.Clinton's are just another version of Bush,they all have their hand in the corrupt pockets and nothing will chance. I'd like to see John Edwards be our next leader. How can you have experience if you aren't given the chance.

Mary
    Wisc.

January 25, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  75. Kevin

If Hillary is such a good canidate and so right for the country why do I feel like they (the Clintons) are cheating every chance they get. Between the distortions and now the seating of Mich and Florida delegates, What's next?

January 25, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  76. Joy

Bill Clinton! It's so unbecoming for him to lie and keep up the attacks on Obama. Why would the American people want Hillary and Bill back in the white house? I'm ashamed for both of them. This dog eat dog conduct is something you'd expect out of Bush. Oh well, so much for honesty and integrity, they sure won't get my vote!!! I can understand Billy Boy lying about Monica, I sure don't feel he's justified doing what he's doing to Obama, or should I say what he's trying to do. Is this a ploy to keep Hillary and Obama to keep the problem of illegal immigration from coming to the front? I wonder!!!!!!!

January 25, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  77. Doug M

All living Presidents have a duty to uphold and nurture the reverence that most Americans have for the highest office in the land. Mr. Clintons past transgressions have not been forgotten and I think it is degrading for a former President to get down in the dirt of a political campaign regardless of who is running.

January 25, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  78. JoAnn in Iowa

I agree with Diane--a lot of people are wondering who is actually running for president (Bill or Hillary) and who will actually run the country should she win the election. You don't get a third term.

January 25, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  79. Beth from Michigan

I saw a cartoon today. It shows Bill as a dog chasing Obama. Hillary is standing there holding a collar and says "don't worry, I'll keep a muzzel and leash on him when I'm president". But will she? I think he is having a lot of fun and more power to him.

January 25, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  80. pam,s.c.

If Hillary needs Bill to get elected then she's not ready to be the president. It appears Bill is running for a third term and the country will not allow it. Just imagine what another term with Bill would be like. Besides , Kathleen wiley's cat has never been found .

January 25, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  81. Tyler N

Clearly Bill has the right to speak out on behalf of his wife, but the way in which he has gone about doing so has been extremely destructive, not only for his wife and the party, but for the nation as a whole. When will we become mature enough to finally put a stop to all of this negative campaigning in which we do nothing but nit pick at our opponents' pasts? Why we care more about misconstrued slips of tongue and small past actions more than future plans that may actually benefit the American people is entirely beyond me.

January 25, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  82. Hannah

I used to love Bill as many of my friends used to. He is making himself look like a kicking and screaming toddler, who thinks their life is over if someone takes away their favorite toy. Hillary is letting it happen which doesn't make her look any better! This has hurt their reputation indefinately. Clinton lovers need to WAKE UP and see that they are out of control and to have them in the white house would be a horrible MISTAKE. Bill was thought to be a postive and it turns out he was a NEGATIVE.

January 25, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  83. anita ames

Clinton can defend his wife now?? Hard to believe when he had so little respect for her by cheating over the years. Me thinks he is just trying to get back in the White House! Give me a change, Obama all the way!

January 25, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  84. Ron

Jack, I have always been a strong supporter of President Clinton. I think he did a lot of good things for this country. That said however, It saddens me to see him ranting and raving. It looks foolish and it isn't helping his wife, or the Democratic party.

January 25, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  85. earl illingsworth

This is not a normal Presidential race to begin with, it really makes a mockery of our constitution! Can you imagine our fore fathers alive to see this, and what their reactions might be? We left England to get away from Monarchies/Royalty,etc., this has given birth to a road that should never had been driven down. Now to get back to Bill, "Mad Dog",Clinton! Ever hear of street angel,house devil,his behavior might seem unusual to the public, but very necessary in political life, especially when dealing with certain world leaders! What he has done is just improvised the nastiness of real life politics, and his wife loves it. This folks, has been going on for milliniums, but the concern we all should have, is our "Country's Metamorphosis", that truly someday we'll all regret!!!

January 25, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  86. Ann

I didn't get to where I am today hiding behind my husband while he did the heavy lifting, or using the fact that I was married to him on my resume. If we women really want to have a woman President so bad that we vote for her just because she is a woman, then we are really an insult to all of the woman that have broken the glass ceilings before us.

January 25, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  87. Jannan L.

This is an unprecedented event. He definitely has more pull than other spouses in the past. I wonder though if she is capable of winning without him serving as the buffer to her own agenda.

January 25, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  88. sri

Yes. That's the only way it seems will help her wife to get the nomination. It is working for her wife's campaign. Media making the whole issue looks ugly but in the end will help hillary's campaign.

January 25, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  89. Len Albuq New Mexico

Jack,
    I have came to the conclusion that all these Clinton Haters are the same lot that elected the Sh1t for Brains President we have now. Jack, the majority of Democrats are not going to manipulated or influenced by the Media dirtying the waters of the campaign.

January 25, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  90. Kyle

Every time I see Bill Clinton on the campaign trail with Hillary I think back to American history. Our first President George Washington was reluctant to serve his second term as President in 1792 and refused to serve a third term because he strongly believed it would establish him as a type of "king". For his selfless views it was set up as the custom of future Presidents to serve only 2 terms on which the 22nd amendment was founded. Anyone who argues only Hillary will be the President in office is fooling themselves!
    Learn from history, I beg of you America.

January 25, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  91. Mike

Jack,
    Bill Clinton better know what he's doing whenever saying bad things about his wife's opponent (s) because when he is proven not to be credible, it could be nail in Hillary's presidential bid coffin. After all, what "is" well....just is.

Mike

January 25, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  92. Carol

From where I sit there is no one running Democrat or Republican that I feel deserves to be head of the USA. I just hope we can find out enough about the few we have to choose from the reality of what we are electing. I never thought I would live to see this country in the position it has been put in by the current administration. So if what Bill is doing is attacking let him go and get out as much information as possible. Electing a president should not be a popularity contest.

January 25, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  93. Evan Penfield NY

How is a former president supposed to act? Most of them just shrivel up and fade away anyways. Being involved in a campaign is much more positive and progressive than hiding from a nation in shame (which, by the way, is what Bush is undoubtedly going to do next November). The fact that he's putting his time and effort into this when he could be doing other things speaks volumes for his personal character.

January 25, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  94. Howard Houston

Bill Clinton is acting a bit badly but compared to him George Bush is the real evildoer in power. Mr. Cafferty, you comments yesterday in describing John McCain's support for Bush's illegal and barbarous war in Iraq was SPOT-ON.
    I think that Bush is the real evil in the world right now. He is a deceiver, a felon, a war criminal who has killed hundreds of thousands of people by going into Iraq and lying to us and the world as to the real reason. Wasn't the real reason he wanted to do his brutal invasion of Iraq was to give his pet Oil Company partners access (free access no less) to about 1 TRILLION barrels of oil. He and they don't give a damn about the Iraqi people but they do care about getting their hands on over $90 Trillion of oil which we the taxpayers in the USA have to pay for TWICE.

Howard Houston

January 25, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  95. Kevin, Illinois

Obama is allowing Americans to dream again. Hillary and Bill are trying to steal the dream from the People. They dont want us to dream. Hillary needs to recaliberate her campaign and message. Bill needs to be withdrawn from the public eye. The reality is that Hillary and Obama need to be on the SAME Ticket for the Democrats to come out on top.

January 25, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  96. CHARLOTTE

Y Jack , if you put "Attack Dog" into the question are you trying to evoke an image of, say a pit bull. However, to answer your question, YES. Just because he is a former President doesn't preclude him from defending her or her positions. Why is this an issue? The press hangs on his ever word thus giving the 2 on 1 more creedence. All spouses defend thier mates, why should he be different?

January 25, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  97. Tina

Yes, he should be allowed to campaign for his wife. Other spouses do. What I don't understand is why everyone think he is not telling the truth. Has anyone researched Pres. Clinton's comments or are they just taking Obama's word.

January 25, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  98. sandy

I am a loyal Democrat and I am dismayed that a former President would stoop this low. When this race started, I was torn between the three now remaining candidates. However, I know that if Hillary wins the nomination, I will not vote this year. Her husband attacks show that they are not above "politics as usual." Our country needs a change in direction, and Hillary has proven she will not change! It is time for the people of this country to be heard – We will not tolerate this type of politics, that we deserve more. We deserve a candidate the will bring this country together, not tear it apart. Remember the Bible verse>>>"He who is without sin cast the first stone." I don't think Bill Clinton should be casting any stones.

January 25, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  99. Joe in DE

He would be critized if he did not vigorously defend Hilary.

I have heard complaints from the Obama supporters about Bill saying:

Obama voted present frequently when in IL legislature..
    Obama reputed said that when the Iraq resolution came up, he did not know how he woul;d have voted.
    That Obama voted for funding the war the last time Hilary did.

These don't appear to be "personal" attacks. I have heard a lot of talk about untrue charges and distortions but few spcifics.. Are the charges correct or not? If so no complaint is justified. If not, Bill should be castigated for them.

(Not a duplicate)

January 25, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  100. Thomas

The fact he is a former president and acting as the attack dog is hurting her campaign to be president. She should be able to fight her own battles and with hubby out front, it just doesn't look like she can. If she gets the nomination and is successful in winning the election he becomes the vice president in Americas eyes no matter who the running mate is. Not a good idea.

January 25, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  101. T R (TOM) PAPPAS

With enough time on his hands to do this Hillary lap-dog campaign fetching and retching, either the US taxpayer is paying for all of his current shenanigans, as we have for some time with all the Clintons or there are no available, willing women for Billdo to play with or both. What a piece of work and to think someone did elect this dirtbag and may possibly elect his contrived, calculating dirt bag wife, as well. If so, again, we'll all get to pay for it. Just for the record, I'm no more fond of the "Kennebunkport Kowboy Klown", either. As with all politicians, if their lips are moving, they're lying; if their arms/hands are moving, grab your wallet/billfold and hold on tight, else they'll end up with it!

January 25, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  102. Eugene Ortiz

Probably not, but Bill Clinton does what he needs to learn. What Peggy Noonan has to say about it is irrelevant.

January 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  103. D. Morris - Calgary, Alberta

Clearly, we all refer to past presidents as "president" long after they have left office because it means something to North Americans (yes, we care up in Canada too). The responsibility is Clinton's to wear that and do it justice. Sadly, he's now little more than an ass!

January 25, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  104. Todd

January 25, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  105. David

Yes, he has the right do defend his wife. Maybe Barack can be her VP....Umm he can do whatever the hell he wants. Hell "Georgey" does.

January 25, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  106. Eugene Ortiz

Correction (I meant to say): Probably not, but Bill Clinton does what he needs to WIN. What Peggy Noonan has to say about it is irrelevant.

January 25, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  107. Chelley Dallara

Yes, Bill Clinton should be doing whatever the campaign wants him to do in order to get HIS WIFE

108. Douglas E. Lindner

No, no, no! What Bill Clinton is doing is beneath the stature of a former President of the United States, and would be even if this were the general election–and I say that as a staunch Democrat who voted in the New Hampshire primary two weeks ago.

109. derry

yes, of course. Bill Clinton should be out there touting his wife's accomplishments, commitments and brains.

110. Slava Tavgen

Sure, he should, Barack Obama benefits a lot by making "defending" statements, which reveals, that Bills and Hillarys statements are wrong.

111. Rick

What a sexist question. Should Bill Clinton be a vocal, active advocate for his spouse, an accomplished United States Senator who is running for the highest office in the land? Of course.

112. Don

Jack, you sure show your bias when you quote, of all people, Peggy Noonan as some kind of proof President Clinton is wrong. At least remind us of who she is–the speechwriter for Reagan, a major light in the conservative movement, a highly partisan Republican columnist, and a foe of the Clintons for the past 16 years. If Noonan thinks he's doing something wrong, I can bet he's right on track.

113. James

Quit making Bill Clinton out to be anything more than he as ever been, a liar who was impeached, sentured, and lost his right to practice law. If that is what Democrats call a Hero, I want no part of it.

114. Kendall Hewitt

I've always been a strong democrat and Clinton supporter. However, the Clintons have turned me off with all of their BS. I'm following Lou Dobbs and registering as an Independent.

115. Ruth

Jack, Bill Clinton will end up losing the Presidency for the Democrats for the second time.

116. Steve

If the media and the dems don't have the stomach for politcal attack dogs then how do you win in November against the GOP?

117. Janet White

118. D. in PA

Just when you think Bill Clinton is safely out of office and can no longer degrade the Presidency, here he comes with a new way.

119. Dennis Lucarelli

Can't you find anyone else besides Bush speechwriter Peggy Noonan to comment on your piece "Bill Clinton, Attack Dog?"

120. William Phillips

I don't understand why anyone would listen to Bill Clinton about anything. Doesn't anybody remember him lying to our faces? Now all of a sudden we are supposed to trust what Mr. Clinton says about his wife's campaign, ha.

121. Christie

I think it's appropriate that Clinton is an attack dog. If you have no morals or ethics when you were the President, why should you act as though you have them now. At least now he is finally doing a job he is fit for, lying.

122. r.taitano

prez clinton should continue his attack, but obama should refuse to debate hillary, and call bill up to the podium in the next debates.... should be interesting.

123. Stephanie

Of course not, but Bill Clinton always puts self-interst ahead of the interest of the country, just as he did when he did not resign and save the country the national nightmare of the impeachment process. Even Richard Nixon had the decency to do that.

124. George in Texas

Former President Clinton is acting like he is back in Arkansas running for State office. Not very Presidential in my opinion. Imagine four to eight more years of this!

125. Charles

Jack, I think the way you ask this question is unfair. Bill's behavior is no less aggressive than other politicians including Senator Obama, but if you say anything to criticize Obama, you are labed a racist or "old school", popping the proverbial "new dream of DC". Just because you quote or emulate JFK or MLK, doesn't make you untouchable. Bill is doing just fine. I for one remember the surplus of his administration with great fondness and didn't care who he slept with. Go Hillary!

Charles
    Dallas, TX

126. Annette

Why not? She is running for president. Even though, as a African American Democratic they have both driven me to take a better look at John Edwards. Hopefully, they will start addressing the issues that are here currently and not what one or the other did or did not do in the past.

127. HydeParker

Of course it's appropriate for Pres. Clinton to campaign for his wife, but his recent behavior demeans the office, hurts the party and will ultimately lose the Clintons friends rather than gain them.

128. Doug

Why not? She acted as his attack dog during his 1992 campaign and for the entire eight years he was in the White House.

129. Jose Aguilar

Bill Clinton has been one of my political heroes forever. I am sad to admit,
    that I will never vota for a Clinton ever again. It is shameful what they are treating Senator Obama.

130. Tara S.

Bill Clinton is making a mockery of the process and his previous office. I am a registered Democrat, but after this appalling behavior by the Clinton's if Hillary is the nominee I will vote for the republican nominee. I hope other voter's realize that for the Clinton's it is all about winning, and not about the people.

131. Tom NYC

Dear Jack,

I have one thing to say to Peggy Noonan Repblican attack dog : Woof, Woof, Woof and Woof!

132. Bernice

Oh, Jack! Peggy Noonan wants to complain about Bill Clinton standing in Barack Obama's way? Puh-leez! Obama is doing the exact same thing to Hillary! Didn't I hear just yesterday that Michelle Obama is blasting Hillary? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Rail away, Bill!
    By the way, with all of the sniping going on between the Clinton and Obama camps, I'm sorely tempted to vote for the rich white male after all!

133. James Raines

Is Bill going to have to defend his wife against the extremist in the Middle East if Hillary is elected President? We need a president who can stand alone and not cry when the going gets tough nor when things don't go her/his way. I think Bill is showing that Hillary cannot defend herself and it makes her look weak to me ( a Democrat who is considering switching parties) due to the issue of race being implemented in this campaign.

134. Stacey

I want a woman president who is strong enough to not have her husband fight her battles for her.

135. Kim D.

Bill absolutely should campaign for Hillary. I look forward to another joint presidency.

136. Faye

The president better be the attack dog for his wife since everyone in the media is trashing her. And I mean everyone and on every TV station and radio station.

137. Steve

As much i detest the clintons, he's better then 3 republican candidates that still believe in creation.. and one of the top 3 that worhips a prophet that is a proven con man and pedophile.

138. Roy

Peggy Noonan doesn't like Bill Clinton. I'm stunned. And hearing those words of hers – so solicitous of the fate of the Democratic Party – amazing. Is anyone at all fooled by Ms. Noonan's sly implications of racism. It's just a smokescreen by a Republican speechwriter to cause trouble in a political party she doesn't give a whoop about. C'mon Jack, let's use less manipulative sources.

Roy
    Tampa, FL

139. Sheila Conlee

Jack.........I have a better bumper sticker; "Bill Clinton for First First Gentleman". Imagine that.........Peace and Prosperity in our country again with the Clinton's in the White House!

January 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  140. David Tokrar

I don't know how anyone can trust Either Clinton after White Water. Is America so stupid that they have forgotten what these two did.

January 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  141. Sam in Huntington Beach

While free speech is assured in the Bill of Rights, it appears that William Jefferson Clinton thinks that it is named after him. Supporter, yes. Attack dog, not so much. Of course he somewhat lowered the expectations of Presidential conduct a while ago. With experience like this, I'll vote for change.

January 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  142. larry greiner

Of course, he should support his wife, but not in this way, spreading accusations that aren't factually accurate. He could discuss the issues which his wife supports. Makes one wonder who Barrack is running against for president. All this could end up hurting rather than helping Hillary.

January 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  143. Scott

Golly another hateful blog. Why does Bill have to be treated so lousy by CNN... Why if Obamba quits there si no story... thus there is no Cafferty.. to sit and tell us what we should think.... just this unemployment would go up..... oh my...Cafferty... you used to be good but no more.. you sound more like a snickers bar commercial than an intelligent talking head on CNN....

Click.... There you go and you are not even in HD here....no more...

January 27, 2008 at 1:00 am |
  144. Eric

Look at the game the Clintons are playing against Obama. Bill spikes him in a nasty way and when Obama confronts Hillary, the official candidate, at a debate , she says, "Well, he's not here, I am."

Would that be the style of her time in office?

No way is Hillary the only Clinton in the race and no way would she be the only President if they're successful. I can't imagine anyone with Bill's personality and potential being able to resist an opportunity to influence American policy. He would be the unnoficial, unelected and worse, unaccountable president – the Phantom of the White House.

Accountability of the leadership is essential to Democracy. Just ask George Dubbya Bush. He'll tell ya.

January 28, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  145. Shep

Two Yale Law Grads vs. One Harvard Law Grad.....just some lawyers having fun!

January 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  146. Joyce From Chicago

I used to be a Clinton fan. I am more concerned about how he is trying to turn various groups on one another: African Americans, Hispanics, low Income,
    and women than I am about what he may be doing to Obama's campaign. This country is in serious trouble facing serious problems. These problems can only be solved by a leader committed to bring the country together. President Clinton had two very divisive terms in Office. I thought the Rebublicans were just picking
    on him. However, during this campaign, I have seen a very dark side of the Clinton's and their style of dealing with people causes polarization. I think Clinton
    was race baiting during the campaign in South Carolina.

January 28, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  147. Susan

I don't think Bill can win. If Bill weren't involved, he would be criticized for not caring enough and Hillary would be criticized for making the same campaign mistake that Al Gore made.

January 29, 2008 at 12:46 am |
  148. Bob Simmons

Hang in there Bill!! I am 82 years old and the only time, in my memory, that the national budget showed a surplus was at the end of your term. That needs more publicity from all members of Hillary's team.

CNN, I have turned you off many times for the negative slant you seem to have toward the Clintons. I usually cool down and come back, because you do have some great announcers. How about giving Bill & Hillary a break sometimes, with something positive? I seriously doubt that any of you will vote for Mr. slick talking Oboma, when you go into that booth.

Barack Oboma stated that he "would never use nuclear weapons, under any circumstance". That was a stupid statement that instantly informs any potential enemy how far they can go. Bill was right! That guy is "a fairy tale"!

Bob Crossville, TN