January 21st, 2008

McCain too old to be president?

Republican Presidential hopeful, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee with actor Chuck Norris on Norris's Lone Wolf Ranch in Texas.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Chuck Norris thinks John McCain is too old to be president.

Campaigning for Mike Huckabee, Norris suggested the 71-year-old McCain might not even make it through a single term.

Norris said: "I didn't pick John to support because I'm just afraid that the vice president would wind up taking over his job in that four-year Presidency"

Get over yourself. You break boards in the movies for a living.

Norris thinks Huckabee, who is 52, is the logical choice.

The former Arkansas governor seemed to distance himself from Norris' comments, saying "Only John McCain and his hairdresser know for sure"... adding "I'm not going to say he's too old."

McCain quipped, "I'm afraid I may have to send my 95-year-old mother over and wash Chuck Norris' mouth out with soap."

If McCain wins, at 72, he would be the oldest person ever inaugurated as president for a first term. Although he has joked about being "older than dirt and having more scars than Frankenstein", McCain also emphasizes things like hiking the Grand Canyon with his son.

His doctors say the Arizona senator is in good health, although his medical history includes multiple bouts with skin cancer along with injuries from when he was a POW in Vietnam. Friends and staff say they have a hard time keeping up with him, and the candidate himself says he's never felt better.

Here’s my question to you: Do you agree with Chuck Norris that John McCain is too old to be president?

To see the Cafferty File Video click here

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Thaddeus from Bell Acres, Pennsylvania writes:
Here's what I agree with, Jack: Chuck Norris is barely qualified to endorse fitness equipment let alone endorse one presidential candidate by insulting another. Since when does it matter what a "C" grade celebrity thinks about anything?

Tom writes:
He's not too old. He's too Republican. If Jesus ran on the Republican ticket, he couldn't draw a vote in a convent.

Ryan from Champaign, Illinois writes:
Yes, Jack. Anyone who wants to make the current administration's tax cuts permanent and keep us in Iraq for hundreds of years is exhibiting signs of inflexible thought and dementia. It's not his body that is so old, it is his world outlook.

Judy writes:
Are you kidding? Chuck Norris? Who cares what he thinks? I'm a Democrat, but just might vote for McCain, depending on who wins the Democratic primaries.

Eugene writes:
Jack, Chuck Norris probably felt President Reagan was too old for the office. The old wannabe Texas Ranger should stick with his exercise machine and let Sen. McCain get on with saving our nation. McCain is only old in years. He has fresh ideas and can help repair that broken system, in D.C.

Jim writes:
Yes, he is too old. That said, Chuck Norris is an idiot.

Ron writes:
My wife and I were just talking about this issue late last week. We both agree we would not vote for McCain due to his age.

Jane from Philadelphia writes:
I typically hold my opinion on the presidential race until I've heard from Chuck Norris. I'm currently waiting on Britney Spears to issue a statement on global warming.

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Howard

I would rather have an older more wise person as president overall. So,
    I have no problem with McCain's age. I have a problem with the man McCain.

January 21, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  2. Stan

Hi! I'm Chuck Norris! I'm not a prisoner of war but I played one on TV...

...yeah right.

Could someone tougher than me tell Chuck to just shut up and hit someone? His opinions on presidential politics are no more relevant than mine are in the field of hack acting. Personally, I think McCain can take him.

January 21, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  3. Ken

and I guess he is not too old to kick butt too

January 21, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  4. Umar Ahmad

Unless he's suffering from Alzheimer's or his judgment is altered he's legit. Not that I'd want a guy like him to be president though.

January 21, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  5. jim

I think Chuck is jealous! talk about 'has been, over the hill, who cares...' chuck has seen better days himself. He should stick to pumping the butter onto the pop corn, as I can't think of a flick of his worth spending ten cents to go see. Besides, just because he is too old' to run doesn't mean McCain is too old!

January 21, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  6. Jim Jensen

Out of all the candidates running John McCain is probably the only one with the necessary qualifications to lead the country in its time of need. He is most definitely a patriot, an experienced member of government service and a man intelligent enough to be honest [a rare quality in a politician] with the American people and tell them what they need to hear instead of what they want to hear. However old he may be he is able and willing to hit the deck running and bring the needed change, in an intelligent manner, to this country along with bipartisan support from Congress and provide healing to the American public.

January 21, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  7. Tina

Talk about one old goat calling another old goat names. Chuck Norris is a washed out no acting fool who happens to think Mike Huckabee is all that. Don't say much for Huckabee does it to have a worn out karate boy hanging around.

January 21, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  8. Scott

Jack, i se chuck's side of it, still i'd think a man that smart would relize that with that age , is much more wisdom than most of the rest of thier field combined.
    he is the only canidate whih a snowballs chance in hell of stoping any of the democrats.
    even bloomburg can't help the others win, he wont take votes away from the elder statesman.
    bowling green,mo.

January 21, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  9. Michael M Phx AZ

What right does Chuck Norris have to say who is to old and who isn't. As long as McCain is in good health who cares. Ron Paul is probably the smartest and best of all the Republicans anyway, but I don't think he wil get nominated no matter what his age is. Oh, McCain does NOT get my vote anyway. Anyone who makes statements about bombing another country (Iran), and wanting to keep our military deployed for 100 years in Iraq is not too old, just a bit senile (and I don't think age really has anything to do with that.)

January 21, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  10. David, Tampa

Why should anyone care how old McCain is especially a geriatric chop sockie pseudo cop? McCain may be a bit old but I would be more concerned with his health. I consider him to be at least as incompotent as the rest of the field Republican or Democrat. I'm voting for Buggs Bunny anyway.

January 21, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  11. bob brownstein

Dear Jack,
    I am not really sure if McCains age is the real issue... I just dont think he gets it. You can't believe that the war needs to go on, and you cant believe in illegal immigration, and u can't be a supporter of a president that has put our country into a financial disaster, and expect the american public to buy it...
    Eight years ago we had a balanced budget, and in the eyes of the free world we showed leadership and commanded it's respect. Now, we are trilions in debt, and
    the entire world has lost it's respect for us. It's not only McCain that doesn't get it,
    it's all of the republican candidates that don't seem to get it.......
    We need change, but it has to be in the interest of the american people, especially
    those that have and are now suffering from the " bush catastrophe " ~~
    I am truly pleased to say that you and the rest at cnn do seem to get it ! Your show is an inspiration to all of us that seek hope that our government will change for the better and soon..............

January 21, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  12. ken

Jack; If Chuck Norris is right about McCain's age then we should require all public servants to retire at the age of 70 on the assumption that government office is too hard on old people! Just imagine how many people we would lose from the three branches of government in Washington,D.C. Now that would be a change in Washington!!!!

January 21, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  13. Ryan Farrar

It's not that he's too old. I couldn't say that in conscience as a Ron Paul supporter. He is, however, on the wrong side of all the issues. He's ready to keep us in a worthless war for 100 years, he supports amnesty legislation for illegals, and he seems to think that he can fix all of our problems with his highly touted "veto pen"; and seems to be under the delusion that the Supreme Court will overturn precedent and give him a line-item veto. He doesn't seem to poll well with Republicans, and I doubt he does much better with Democrats. When it all boils down, he can't win; but I'd rather see him in the general election than Romney.

January 21, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  14. Zekke Lydonna

Jack:

Some things are relative. Age is not one of those things. While I don't agree with Chuck Norris' theory on politics and aging, I do agree with the underlying sentiment. Yes, John McGain is too late for primetime.

January 21, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  15. Ron Douglass

Jack:
    To Old. That all depends on who McCain would have as his Vice-President. If It would happen to be any one of the present candidates: our choices are a man who want the bible to be the constitution, A CEO/ Governor who's positions change with the wind, a southern talking actor who thinks Regan was God and past Mayor who stood on a pile of rubble 6 years ago a claims to have a franchise on fighting terror and homeland security! God forbid some thing should happen that our Vice-President would take over. Imagine. Bush has Chenney. The past 7 years is a testimony to Bush, I'm from Chenny's home town and I shutter to think about Chenny taking over! Now That's scary!

January 21, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  16. BJ Hunt

No he is not too old but he is not the right candidate. Mike Huckaby advocate of The Fair Tax has the best and yet most oppressed idea for funding the US government in decades. Every time someone takes a stand for it, it is oppressed by big business and influential individuals who simply do not want to pay their fair share of taxes in this country. The bulk of the taxes are then left for the middle class working familes to compensate for them. I really wish there was more focus on this subject.
    GO MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 21, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  17. Bill in Houston TX

The Constitution puts no maximum age on the candidate for President; however, it is painful to watch an old man whose only real claim to being a "war hero," and therefore qualified to be commander-in-chief, is that he was a POW. But a hero is someone who risks his life to save another or to avert a disaster. Just being a POW, as were so many others, does not cut it. Moreover, we have had nearly eight year of obdurate disregard for the will of the people, squandering hundreds of billions of dollars, by a wannabe war hero who was, in fact, a spoiled brat rich kid coward. John McCain is just breathing life into the adage "There is no fool like an old fool."

January 21, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  18. Patricia

While I wouldn't have said what Chuck said, yes I do think John McCain is a bit too old. However, the GOP believes that those who wait their turn should get the shot at running for President, John McCain has waited & his turn is here.

January 21, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  19. Katy Hill Prescott, Az.

The Chuck and Huck show need to heed the old sayin...Tis better to say nothing and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

January 21, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  20. Karen

Has anyone taken a look at Chuck Norris? He shouldn't be playing the age card, it's just ageist. This is just going to come back and bite him in the 'you know what."

January 21, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  21. Pete, Fla.

Of course not. You know what they say, Jack, "with age comes wisdom". And you know what, I think Chuck Norris is too old to do kung fu.

January 21, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  22. DJ

jack,

I see from the latest news coming out of Texas that the 'George Bush Syndrome' is spreading alarmingly - Like Bush, a lot ot Texans are 'seeing things that aren't there'!!! (The UFO story)

DJ

January 21, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  23. Peter Richardson

Heck yes Jack.
    Youth means fresh ideas or 'Change' as they are calling it.
    McCain is tainted with old ideas I'm afraid. And my opinion is not based on what Chuck Norris said. Who cares about Chuck Norris anyway.

January 21, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  24. Brian Nancoo - Trinidad

Chuck Norris is dead wrong.Aside from the age bias which is wrong,as a person and a politician,John McCain continues to distinguish himself with his knowledge of issues, his ideas to address these issues, and a fundamental understanding that it will take work to fix these issues.The younger more charismatic candidates attract more fans,but we all know they ain't going to lift a finger to get the job done.Experienced people from all walks of life know that hard work gets the job done,and fancy talk gets nothing done.I'll take John McCain over Chuck Norris any day of the week.

January 21, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  25. Terry

Jack
    First of all who is Chuck Norris ? I think its important for John McCain to pick a running mate that can walk and chew gum at the same time. If something happens to McCain if he becomes president I want someone that can step in and do the job. Not someone who cant spell potato !

January 21, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  26. Ed Reed

For the record, and my physical well being, I always agree with Chuck Norris; however, just between you and me, Ronald Reagan was only 16 days short of his 70th birthday when he sworn is as President.

Also, you may not know: The Good News: Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. The Bad News: Chuck Norris never cries.

January 21, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  27. Joel New Brighton MN

John is right your as young as you feel.

January 21, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  28. Ralph

After what we have seen with Cheney, I would like to see someone younger, and who can shoot straight.. Would you like to run Jack? - I'll vote for you.

January 21, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  29. DON, TRAVERSE CITY, MICHIGAN

Heck yes the man is too old! He is a dinosaur politically. If he went into office at 72 years old, he would not get out (maybe) until he was 76! Come on... politics should be about the future of our country and our children... not the geritol set. McCain is a disgrace. When he spoke in Detroit... my home state... he stated that some jobs would never come back. Why, Mr. McCain? Because as president you wouldn't be up to battling corporations and China? Too old?

THINK ABOUT IT!

January 21, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  30. john

jack
    is dirt old ?????

January 21, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  31. thelma

hey jack,age works in many ways .the more experience you have in anything helps on a job. don't you think so? you better watch about asking this kind of question because your butt may be on the line next. the MEDIA sucks anyway. when do think the WHITE FOLKS should MARCH down memory lane? i bet you wouldn't see any blacks in line. did you see the CLINTONS today? that should tell the black and white who would stand up for them in the WHITE HOUSE. I hope the people will MARCH to vote for CLINTON 08.........thelma, ky.

January 21, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  32. john

jack
    mccain has had his day let a younger man with new ideas do the job

January 21, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  33. Eugene

Jack, Chuck Norris probably felt President Reagan was too old, for the office. The old wanna be Texas Ranger should stick, with his exercise machine and let Sen. McCain get on, with saving our nation. McCain is only old in years. He has fresh ideas and can help repair that broken system, in D.C. It's tragic that voters chose Bush over McCain, in 2000. We'd be much better off today, if McCain had won the nomination.

January 21, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  34. Paul

Chuck Norris is only 3 1/2 years younger than John McCain. Now if we were talking dog years that would make it around 15, about the same number of dog movies Chuck has been in.

January 21, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  35. Mary Steele Yorktown VA

He's just like the others, not doing the will of the people. NO amnesty for the illegals here, they should have to apply the same as everybody else, including the ones legally waiting their turn outside of this country. To allow anything but the legal path others have taken, is another opening that got us this mess in the first place.

January 21, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  36. Vinnie Vino

Jack,
    Absolutely not, Mike Huckabee should express to Chucky in America we have freedom of choice. If John McCain wants to run and win the support of the voters that's fine. Then Huckabee and Norris should respect his decesion or are they hypocrites, and believe in age discrimination...

January 21, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  37. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

If Chuck Norris can show us where in the Constitution that states John McCain is too old then he needs to shut up. If he is suggesting it should be amended, then he needs to state the Constitution should be amended. Until then it is not Constitutionally patriotic for Chuck Norris to attack anyone in this manner.

January 21, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  38. D Moore

Yes, he is too old and his ideas are too old for the country which has been pummeled to death and kicked into next Sunday by this administration. It wil take radically new ideas to pull our collective fat out of these fires, and McCane is rooted too much in the past – and this comes from someone who likes him.

January 21, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  39. Linda

It is not his chronological age of 71 that bothers me. However, he acts and talks like a man much older than that! He is so monotone, he puts me to sleep.

January 21, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  40. Jane from Philly

I typically hold my opinion on the presidential race until I've heard from Chuck Norris. I'm currently waiting on Britney Spears to issue a statement on global warning.

BE QUIET CHUCK NORRIS!

January 21, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  41. Jack K.

Hey Jack...

McCain may be the biggest hope for a GOP win in 2008!!

He is a "name brand" Americans no him, admire him, and regardless of his straying from the social conservative fold occassionally–has stayed true to "himself".

The Democrats appear to be counting on Obama and Clinton to emerge as the top ticket. They are both receiving lots of extreme left-wing support attention and support, particularly form the liberal special interest groups.

There waits Mr. McCain..(or Huckabee or Paul)

The more fiscally conservative Democrats, many independents, and a lot of swing GOP voters who would have voted for John Edwards in the general election–will probably go to the "most" centrist appearing Republican.

If the Democrats keep moving towards another John Kerry style nominee (GW Bush beat him in the popular vote–what an embarassment) like Hillary or Obama like they appear to be doing, then McCain has a real chance of picking up those disgruntled democrats, independents and centrist GOP voters.

January 21, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  42. Erik

This argument is just like Obama and Clinton arguing over Race. In the end they were arguing over nothing. As we learned on the Democratic side neither Sex nor Race is a deciding factor, we will see that on the republican side the amount of years -old or young- won’t be a major factor either. It seems like Norris is just trying to divert attention from his candidate who wants to destroy the Constitution.

January 21, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  43. Rich , McKinney Texas

No. I never watched "Walker Texas ranger" anyway. Actors should leave their opinions on the stage. I don't care for McCain. He is another Bush. Voting for him would be 4 more years of the same.

January 21, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  44. Ryan Colclasure, Champaign IL

Yes, Jack. Anyone who wants to make the current administration's tax cuts permanent and keep us in Iraq for hundreds of years is exhibiting signs of inflexible thought and dementia. It's not his body that is so old; it is his world outlook.

January 21, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  45. Ted in Portland

I have to agree with the real hero Senator McCain here.
    “I’m afraid I may have to send my 95-year-old mother over and wash Chuck Norris’ mouth out with soap.” It's also not the first time Norris has stuck his foot in Huckabee's mouth.
    I also sincerely hope that Huckabee more than distances himself from the shortsighted prejudiced Hollywood made-up phony Norris. What a jerk! I would think that Norris, as a professed Christian would show more tolerance, compassion and humility. He sure ain't heppin Huck with moronic statements like that.

January 21, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  46. Ron

I spent two years in Vietnam and am dissabled with PTSD and Agent Orange problems. I would like to be President for at least six months. I'd correct what went wrong in Vietnam. Maybe thats all the time McCain needs to get payback . He can make it that long Jack.

January 21, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  47. Scott Goble

If Chuck Norris says, then it IS

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  48. Sheree Nichols

Yes, too old. Thanks, Sheree

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  49. Judy

Are you kidding?? Chuck Norris?! Who cares what he thinks. I'm a democrat, but just might vote for McCain, depending on who wins the democratic primaries. Norris must be getting high on endorphans, his head is full of himself.

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  50. Jennica

No, look at Ron Paul! He is older than McCain and slips less than McCain does with words. I don't really see what relevance Chuck Norris has these days anyways.

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  51. Todd Hooper

I think Norris is on to something even his estimate was rough. He doesn't even need to neccessarily die to need to be replaced, he could be stricken with dementia or some such ailment.

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  52. D Andies

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  53. Jim

Yes, he is too old. That said, Chuck Norris is an idiot.

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  54. Kathleen

no Jack,

although he's not my candidate...McCain is not too old....Norris is just too stupid

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  55. Mike

In a word...Yes

2000 was his year.

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  56. Russ Golish

He is old, but he is not too old. How about Romney for VP, just in case ?

57. Bill, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

Chuck Norris has never impress me as an actor and what he says as a campaigner doesn't impress me either. I think that President Reagan showed signs of Alzheimer's disease when he was still president and that concern me. I've seen over the years how the office of president can age a young man. I haven't seen any signs that John Mccain is unfit to take office because of his age. But being a 72 year old man things can change very quickly and that should be a concern to voters.

58. Ron

My wife and I were just talking about this issue late last week. We both agree we would NOT vote for McCain due to his age.

59. Peter

The grass is always greener on the other side, unless Chuck Norris has been there. Then is it most likely covered in blood and tears.

60. ben machen

John McCain may or may not be to old but I'm very sure Bill Clinton talks too much. Hillary needs to fire Bill and Mark Penn. They have come close to costing her my vote.

61. Bruce Cohen

I think Chuck Norris should worry more about his toupee not flying off with all the hot air he spews.

62. Kurt

Norris brings up a good point, whether he is a celebrity or not. America is ready to be led by leaders of today not by grandparents. John McCain does not bring new blood into a broken Washington he has helped to foster in his two decades in the Senate.

63. rose

no I don't think that he is too old. He seems to have the energy. Age is just a number to me. Apparently Chuck Norris thinks that he is old so hence McCain is too old for the job. If I think McCain is too old then my choice of Ron Paul is too old too. Which he is not.

64. Netr0

Chuck Norris counted to infinity – twice.

65. SpaghettiJesus

The signs are complete. I have just heard the phrase "Do you agree with Chuck Norris?" come out Jack Cafferty's mouth. The question is, does Chuck Norris agree with Chuck Norris? If he would have heard himself, he may not have asked that question.

66. George

I do not know if he's too old or not. I just know that I'd love to have a wife that good looking.

67. Donna

McCain is not to old. Norris is too stupid to be advising Huckleberry and that should give pause to anyone considering voting for him.

68. Brian

Yup...I think Sen. McCain is too old...I like the guy, respect him, etc. but I do not want him, at his age, behind the desk in the oval office.

And as for Obama, what's he going to do when the entire Republican machine is barrelling down on him? If he thinks two Clintons are tough and too much, he's going to shrivel when put up against the likes of the right wing machine.

69. Linda McClain

The retirement age is 65
    I think the President should be in his prime.
    Yes, i think he is too old.
    Sorry

70. greg

John Mccain should not be president because he is a war monger and an illegal alien apologist and free trader. The fact that he is an old fart has nothing to do with it.

71. JTDRIFTER

Please put Chuch Norris in a Tiger Cage for just one day and see who feels old?

72. Chandra

YES, Chuck Norris is right not only because of age but there is no difference between McCain and Bush except that they look different.

73. Michael Risner

Actually, I am more concerned with how many more face lifts Chuck Norris can survive. Pretty soon he can do those insurance commericals with Joan Rivers and they can feel each others faces.

74. Daniel Henry

Norris is too old to be starting new fights and new skills,

McCain is too young and too responsible to be discounted,

btw i'm for Hillary.

75. Gary Acquaviva

McCain is not too old. Wisdom comes with age. Obama is too young, i.e, and what is the antonym of widom?

76. Ken Benoit

John McCain is to old. Chuck is right!

77. Jim Blevins

The current record holder for age as president was clearly suffering from dementia while in office - the Republicans loved him. If McCain was to die in office, they would probably prop him up and declare him king.

78. Jon from Tempe, Az

John McCain is not too old to be president. Haven't you heard that 50 is the new 40? That means 72 is the new 62. Although I am a Democrat and I will not vote for John McCain, I think that we should respect people that are older as beacons of wisdom. This is coming from someone who is 37 years old.

79. Chuck Siu

With age, comes knowledge. So the comments made by Chuck Norris is just absolutely ridiculous. Next thing you know, he will say "this" president is too young!

80. John

Yes he is too old now. You can tell he is slipping when he speaks. 8 years ago was his time. It does not matter anyway, the President does not run the country – his advisers do. As evidenced by Bush's decision to start a war based on lies. What is really needed is term limits for Congress – only then can you have real change.

81. Jeff

The Lone Wolf ought to leave the Wiley Coyote alone!

82. Renee, Aventura, Florida

Jack,

Huckabee needs to put a plug on his own mouth considering last weeks remarks regarding a constitutional amendment on abortion and gay marriage. And now this freak of nature Noriss with his ageist remarks.

83. Ciji Ware

It's not about chronological age, it's about fitness and stamina. The only way to decide who's "too old" is to do head-to-toe MRIs on the candidates and make them run a Marine obstacle course. I'm a Democrat, but I'll just bet McCain will come out way ahead.
    CW Sausalito, CA

84. Earle Mauldin

I don't think John McCain is too old to be President. Just think, when he's President we won't have to worry about another Monica Lewinsky legacy.

85. Steve

I see symptoms of old age. He forgets alot what he's stated in time past. He's a premmie Reagan.

86. Brandon W.

Jack,

I think age doesn't define a person to be president nor anything. But I think Senator John McCain has gone senile. Quote from a GOP debate "I would love interest rates to be 0%". Thats outrageous.
    Chuck Norris just needs to stay at cutting boards with his chainsaw hand.

87. Charlie

Isn't Chuck Norris too old to be saying things like that?

88. june

Yes, I believe he is too old, but I do not think we have to worry...I do not believe he will ever get that far!

89. Valerie

Personally, I like McCain's experience but I would hope he would include younger people in his cabinet if he 's elected. But if he's elected and did 2 terms he would be 78 yrs old. That is definitely older. He should get a younger VP.

90. Ryan

McCain may not be too old to be president, but his age is something everyone needs to think about. President Reagan was old and made it through two terms. But he ended up with a mind-numbing disease toward the end of his life. Since McCain is older, we have to think if there would be a chance of that happening to him while holding the office of President. And would we then have to turn to the Constitution to install the Vice President as acting President?

91. Rick

I agree, I worry about a man who may take the office of the President Of The United States at the age of 72, especially in a country where we tend to force people into retirement when they hit 60. I think we would actually be electing a Vice-President who may very well be President.

92. Jim

I admire McCain but have to admit his age is really a factor. It would be a difficult decision if he were the GOP candidate in the general election.

93. Nick T.

I don't think 72 is too old to be president, however, age doesn't matter if you're the wrong person for the job.

94. Aleesa

If McCain can pull us out of the hole Bush threw us in, I could care less about his age. Tell Chuck Norris he is too old to be whacking boards and to get a REAL job.

95. Mike

Eventhough I do not support John McCain for President of the United States, I do not think that he is too old for the job. But I definately do not support him and his views for the job, actually the only candidate that is talking any sense at all is Ron Paul. Ron Paul is the only one talking about the real issues that the country is facing, and he is not just giving broad statements like all the others, but he is talking in depth about them.

96. Curtis

He's too old unlike Chuck Norris who still could be a Texas Ranger. John McCain has been through alot and the Ranger is right he might not make it through a term.

97. Maureen

Was Regan too old to do his second term?

98. Dennis McNulty

Its not his age, but his views on illegal immigration that turn me off....

99. Ralph Smith

Never mind if McCain lives to fulfill one term, I think that in his mid-70's he is way out of touch with anyone except those in Retirement homes, including old veterans. We need some one in tune with the younger generation who have to live with the laws enacted by the current fogeys. Remember Bush no 1 who had never seen a product scanned in a store? We don't need more of that ! These rich guys don't know how we "normal" people have to live!

100. laura dietz

"Thomas Jefferson once said, "We should never judge a president by his age, only his works." And ever since he told me that I stop worrying". That was Ronald Reagan. McCain's age is an advantage; wisdom!!!!!

101. Scott, Ames, IA

I'm no fan of McCain or any of Republicans for that matter, but it sounds like Mr. Norris has taken too many kicks to the head.

102. Rich Fiorenza

I think Chuck Norris is in over his head. He should stick to the script and not try to think on his own.

103. Dee Brantley

No,I do not agree with Chuck Norris that John Mc Cain is too old, but I do agree that Huckabee was too young and stupid to pick Norris as a frontman!

104. Filipino monkey

I am not sick of seeing the great President Clinton but chuck makes me upchuck.

105. James

I'm affraid I agree with the actor. On another note... Bill Clinton needs to go away! If Hillary wants to be President, then she should do her own speaking.

106. Carlos

I think McCain is as old as he needs to be at this time of our national history. His life experience in the personal level as well as his public service have eqqipped him with wisdom. Now isn't that a qualification needed for the job of President of the greatest and most powerful nation in the world?

107. Carlos Rom, Jr.

I am a Chuck Norris fan; but maybe the real question is not how old McCain is
    but how many times Chuck has been hit on the head and if that demosntrates a "dimished" capacity to pass judgement on McCain!
    Anyhow, if Governor Huckabee runs on the ticket as VP, maybe he will then become President under Chuck's scenario...

108. Ann

Jack, although I may not agree with all of McCain's ideas, the fact that his age in an issue is absolutely ridiculous. We have reached a time where people are living much longer, healthier lives. Chuck Norris needs to get a grip.

109. Jack

I can't believe that we are now taking opinions from someone who made kung-fu movies and an infomercial for the thighmaster! Where are the real political endorsements!

Jack
    San Diego, CA

110. janet

Jack –
    Your venimous hate toward Hillary and Bill Clinton keeps raising it's head. It's obvious you're jealous of these two. Quit trying to drag others down with you.

111. Nick

John McCain is not to old to be president. The last year plus shows that anyone who can hold up to the strenuous schedule of running for president, dealing with negative attack adds, and dealing with no name, D- (if that) actors telling them that they would not make it through the first term of there presidency proves that hes not to old. I think Mike Huckabee should think twice before he puts this crime fighting cowboy in front of a mic. Chuck should also read out constitution that says nothing about being to old to run for or become our president.

112. mark (Calgary)

Aren't all the Republicans just a bunch of Old White Guys, and all about the same age as the geezers running the Chinese Communist Party? Besides, just becuase Chuck Norris is too old to play "action hero" on TV anymore, doesn't mean he has to take his career frustrations out on other guys his age running for President.

113. Donna

I think John McCain's experience has greater benefit than the concern for his age. Who says a 72 year old man is not capable of running this country. We've had men much older than that in the Senate for years!

114. brian morris

no, i do not think mccain is too old to be president. the fact that he won't be, though, is immaterial. i do, however, think chuck norris is too old to be sporting such ridiculously red hair.

115. Arthur

Absolutely not. McCain shows more energy and intelligence than others in their 40's. His mother is in her 90's and going strong so he has the gene's to make it through 2 terms. Who really cares what Chuck Norris thinks. Is he the best 'celebrity' that Huckabee can find to endorse him?

116. Timothy

Aside from promising myself that I would never agree with anything that WALKER, TEXAS RANGER thinks, I am amazed that in this Presidential contest we can have our choice of Candidates to discriminate against!

Ageism, Sexism and Racism! Oh my!

117. John

Nobody really cares what Chuck Norris says, Still, if he thinks the Vice President will need to take over then he should support a McCain-Huckabee ticket.

118. David

McCain is definatly way too old for Presidency...
    especially at this time and age where there is tremendous amounts of stress
    in the White House!

119. Tom

I agree that John Mccain is too old to become preside of the United States. More importantly, I don't think he is best qualified to do the job. As a military veteran and someone who respects John Mccain, I think he has been riding on being a POW for way too long. We know that already – what else does he bring to the table?

120. Jason

Tell Chuck Norris that his hair dye and hair plugs aren't fooling anyone. Senator McCain is in just as good of shape as the 60 something Chuck Norris.

121. John, Charleston SC

I don't agree with Chuck. John McCain has fought valiantly for years both home and abroad and he is still going strong. Why do we pay so much attention to "tv and movie stars" opinions in political races anyway? If I want a new karate move, I'll definitely look to Walker Texas Ranger for advice.

122. Sally Marshall

Sadly, Senator McCain is too old. He may seem to have energy now but if he is nominated he better have a strong V.P. His time was eight years ago, I gave him my vote then, but not now

123. Dennis McNulty

Its not his age thats the problem, its his views on ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION that are troubling....

124. Judi

Jack,
    One of our best presidents, FDR, was paralyzed and performed very well in a wheelchair. I think Chuck Norris is wrong. John McCain is a decorated war veteran. What branch of the service was Chuck Norris in?
    Judi

125. karenb

He IS too old.
    Think about it ... if YOU were 72 years old, would you want to be looking for a job with a four-year committment?
    And McCain cracks me up when he says "seal the borders" ... same ol' BS soundbite as buussh.
    Arizona has the worst illegal immigration problem in the country, and McCain has done NOTHING about it. Nothing!!
    John McC - it's time to retire!
    Trust me, you're OLD enough!

126. Carol

I join others in saying that McCain is not too old to be President, but I would not vote for him, nor would I want the man McCain as President. However, I would say I would prefer McCain over Huckabee!

127. Moshood

Chuck Norris is cutting too much than he can bite. Because he is too old to break bricks with his hand in movies doesn't make McCain too old to become a president. Once a soldier is always a soldier.

Moshood
    Delaware.

128. democraticjack

Since Norris is a whole 3 years younger than McCain, his opinion reflects a lot of low self esteem on his part. He needs to grow up. Hey Chuck, you have grandchildren!

129. Drew

No Jack. John McCain looks healthly as a OX.

130. Kit Moss

You may disagree with Chuck Norris, but ask yourself this:
    If McCain isn't too old to be the most powerful man in the world, why are people younger than him forced to retire from jobs like copier repair and cab driving?

Would you want a 72 year old man as an air traffic controller? Why should the job of PRESIDENT have lesser expectations?

131. Libby

One need only look at how much Bill Clinton aged during his two terms to see how stressful the job of president is. If McCain goes into the White House at his age, he may not come out. McCain also seems to be making the mistake of placing too much emphasis on his time as a POW and not enough on how he has served the country as a member of the government.

132. Dominic

If McCain is of sound mind and body, he's not too old. It's my firm belief that actors, actresses and anyone from Hollywood should only open their mouths and speak when their lines have been written for them.

133. rose

He may be. Look at how much the presidency has aged President Bush. It can take it toll on person and the older you are more toll it will take. Maybe only a senior would know this is possible..

134. Matt, from Ohio

No matter what you would have said after "Do you agree with Chuck Norris..." the answer would be no! John McCain remains in good health and witty for his age on the campaign trail, unlike any of Chuck Norris in any of his television sitcoms or movies.

135. Randy Turner

I don't agree with Chuck Norris about ANYTHING!

136. Tom

Yes, John McCain is too old and Chuck Norris was correct, McCain is also too mean spirited, and has aligned himself with Bush's policies (especially the war and immigration amnesty). Have people also forgotten the Keating 5? He has a very checkered past and is a candidate ressurected from the political ashes by the "ruling elite". 2 months ago he was finished and overnight the media made him the frontrunner.

137. Tim Brown

Yes I think John McCain is to old, not because of his age but because I think he is too far out of touch with anyone under 60. There is a progressive movement in America and I just don't think he can tap into that at his age. To me he doesn't even court the younger vote like we don't matter.

138. Virginia, Boca Raton, FL

Yes, John McCain is too old to be elected President. The last thing the nation needs is another President who shows signs of Alzheimer’s in office. They make too much trouble in their right mind.

139. rodi arseni

no way !!! look who's talking -a B list actor ,67 yrs.OLD!!!!! What's the big difference? and WHO is he to comment like that ? He represents somebody??? I don't think so.It's very clear why : he likes Hukc.......bee .please keep him and NO THANKS

140. Silas

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about Senator McCain's physical health due to his old age but his mental health. I have heard some increasingly oddball comments come from his lips over the past few years, and looking back on the mistakes of the last few years of Reagan presidency, senility does concern me. The last thing we need is another Iran-Contra.

141. Tony Rugare

Chuck Norris has been kicked in the head once too often. I'm not a supporter of McCain but not because of his age. With the right person age can be a blessing rasther than a hindrance. Huckabee and Norris should look in the mirror – they may recognize the senility that is settling in.

142. Greg from PA

We may recall the same objection was made regarding Ronald Reagan. His doctors said he was as healthy as a horse and Reagan showed us that he was by splitting logs and riding horses for hours. Yet he was suffering from dementia which was not disclosed until he left office. Did his illness effect his Presidency? That secret is still held by those in his innermost circle. I don't want to be fooled again. I don't think America can afford to take a chance. Was I the only one who thought McCain's New Hampshire victory speech was incoherent?

143. Russ Evans

Jack
    I don't agree with Chuck Norris that John Mc is too old, but I agree with Rush Limbaugh that he is unfit

144. Linda

I don't agree with Chuck Norris about anything else, but the next President is going to need to be young, fit, and energetic. So I'm voting for the best candidate, Obama!

145. James

Look the fact is that anyone that grew up before the 80s era is to old to be president. A perfect example of this is the childish behavior all the reporters and political people have behaved in this race. This is a different world and the best person to run it is not someone backed by corporations or the military.

146. Bill

John McCain is NOT too old to serve as one of the best presidents we have ever had. Of course there are advantages and disadvantages to everything. For me, McCain's age is 90% about advantage – it gives him the most WISDOM of any candidate available.

147. Brett Milam

No, Jack. I don't agree with Chuck. However, whether McCain is thirty-five or ninety-five; he isn't "fit" to be the President of the United States. I do however, agree with whomever said McCain would be Bush's third term. That person has more kick to his statement than Norris ever did.

148. annie

I think Chuck Norris, at 60, is too old to be playing kung foo boy, but I wouldn't go on national television and say so.

149. Brian Patterson

For what it is worth. To me it looks like John McCain at 72 could take on marshmallow Mike Huckabee at 52. If Norris wants to help he should be his work out coach not his public speaker.

Brian

150. mike

McCain has said "“If I said I was running for eight years, I’m not sure that would be a vote getter.” So he probably intends to be a one-term POTUS which makes him a lame duck out of the gate. The democratic congress will just wait 4 years for another chance.

151. Zac

It seems everyone is throwing the real issues to the side this year. If we are electing a president based on youth, looks, religion, or 9/11, then we deserve exactly what we get.

152. Louis Zoellar Bickett II

I admire McCane's contribution to the country but he is just another 'big stick', 'trigger happy', 'loose cannon' Republican, just itching for another international show of force. I don't think is age is really much of a factor–but Republican blood boils at a lower point regardless of their age. Louis Zoellar Bickett II

153. David Alan Liddle

Chuck Norris is right. John McCain makes me worry about my own age and it makes me feel tired. But as a hillary Clinton supporter, I hope McCain is our opponent in November.

154. John Boulet

Health, NOT age is the issue here. And Sen. McCain is in fine health.

155. Alen

Age, gender, religion, or race should never be a factor when deciding whom to vote for. Having said that, I worry that at 71 McCain will be out of touch with modern day issues like global warming.

156. Ed Hudson

I'm sorry. I'm so old that i forgot the question.

157. philip

How dare a paper mache wannabe like Chuck Norris question McCains longevity?

The dude is watching to many of his own movies – he's a legend in his own mind!

If he keeps saying these things Mrs Norris may give him a good whupping!!!!!!!!

158. Bijan Y.

Shouldn't this country be more worried with electing someone incompetent or someone with a hidden agenda that would not follow through with their plans for America? John McCain's age is the LEAST of this country's election worries... C'mon Chuck: get real.

159. mark

I think it is not politically correct to say such a thing..but Chuck Norris is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT..Mc Cain said it himself..It's a free country..say what you like It's fine by me.

160. Harvey

Jack,

Chuck Norris is a likeable actor and an especially talented karate expert with a highly sucessful TV series Walker Texas Ranger. As a fellow Texan I would surely rather have him act than pick a president. I'll just betcha that if he had taken the years of punishment John Macain took as hostage in Viet Nam all those years Norris would have never survived. I think John is a tough old bird and he could do the job better than 90% of the nit wits running. Look at Romney for example – if a good Texas wund came along and blew his hair out of shape he would cry : )

Harvey Baum
    Houston

161. R. Allen

Regarding McCain being too old: Wasn't Ronald Reagan in his 70's when he took office? Not only that, he also made it through two entire terms. You're only as old as you feel, and if you're working past retirement age in a career you feel passionate about, then I say go for it. You don't expect passionate people to just stay home and rot do you?

162. June

I think John McCain is too old to be President. His time has come and gone. It is not just his cronological age but the age of his ideas. He never met a war he did not like. Americans are sick of the Bush wars and we want less war not more as we would get with McCain (Iran).

163. Belle

Jack,
    Yes I think he is to old. Mr Mcain is to old to run for president.

Belle, Montana

164. JudyMc-Indiana

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS, McCain is too old.....
    The president should be someone that is mentally in tune with the
    present, not someone who lives in the past....and thinks being an ex-war
    veteran qualifies you for president, is out of the loop..
    YES, I AM PROUD AND STAND BEHIND ALL OUR MILITARY, PAST AND PRESENT, BUT BEING IN THE MILITARY DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU FOR THE
    OFFICE OF PRESIDENT....

165. Daviid Lieberman

I'm no fan of either Huckabee or Norris, but I do agree that McCain is a little too old for job. More importantly: who the heck are you , Cafferty, to be deciding which Americans are allowed to have or even express political opinions? I don't see why *your* opinions ought to carry any more weight than Norris's. What's more, if you in the ratings-driven media think Hollywood-types have too much weight in political contests, maybe you in the ratings-driven media ought not to be paying so much attention to what they have to say - I wouldn't know thing one about what Norris had to say if Jack Cafferty hadn't told me.

David Lieberman
    Salem, MA

166. Josh Rivera

Chuck Norris tears cure cancer, it's too bad for McCain but he's never cried. To be honest I believe McCain should be graceful to endure the primaries, he should back down the race and enjoy his retirement, Friend.

167. L. L. Cole

Yes, John McCain is too old to be president.

Secondly, he does not speak the truth. He would not make a good dog-catcher.

168. balkaran

I think is too old look at george bush he age worse these past years I thing he should stay in the senate and retire there

169. debbie marsh

Jack,

I have never been a Chuck Norris fan, however he makes a valid point, especially if you take a long look at his wife. Is she a trade in? I mean she looks almost like a blowup doll, nothing negative about looking so plastic except when your standing next to a man who looks like Mcain. I have my doubts, he is as healthy as he claims to be. He looks his years, by the way just how old are you...lol and speaking of "dirt" he is a cookie cut out political man, although I respect his service, he seems like a Bush Baby clone is so many ways. Somebody needs to tell his wife to tone down the "cake" make-up or something to make her look like she is a wind up toy.

Ft Lauderdale

170. W. Stevens

Yes, I think John Mccain is too old to run for president. We need new ideas, not the same ones we have heard over and over. I think Huckabee would be the logical choice. He seems to be honest, and is not afraid to tell it like it is. As long as Romney (who always seems to be reading off cue cards) doesn't win, I don't care whether is is Mccain, Huckabee, or Giuliani.
    Bottom line: My vote is going for Huckabee.

171. Larry

I dont think Johns to old to be president but i do think he should have a hot line to "THE SCOOTER STORE" if elected!!

172. Shane O'Neal

I think you have to look at each person individually, and not look at generalizations about age.

John McCain seems fit of mind and body. My impression is that he is in much better shape than our current vice president. I think he can serve eight years as president with no problems, and will probably still be around to attend the inaugurations of two or three more presidents.

However, if I am wrong, there is a process in place for choosing a successor, starting with the vice president.

Age is not the issue...

173. Cleve

Mike Hukabee has said stupid things during this campaign, therefore it does not suprise me that his supporters would follow his lead.

174. laron

I think Chuck is just trying to get nasty b/c Huckabee is to modest to get tough. Ask Chuck if was he too old when bruce was beating him? There is no limit on age but McCain will need to know when to quite. I understand his concern but he did not have to say it in public.

175. jenny

Yes, he is too old and his health is a serious concern. Ronald Reagan was having difficulty at the end of his term with dementia. Our country can not risk this now. The old farts have run things too long. John Mccain's window of opportunity has closed.

176. Jane Morgan

Yes, I think McCain is too old. It's not about his actual age, it's more about how old and feeble he looks. Sunday he gave a speech at a press conference and he seemed out of breath and winded. His speech was uninspiring and boring and I think this was because he was so tired. He already seems worn out and there is such a long way to go in this race. We need someone younger and physically more able like Romney or Huckabee who has the stamana to go the distance and take on Hillary or Obama in the general election. I don't think Chuck Norris was out of line making those comments to his friends at his home. He was honest about his feelings which I appreciate.

177. Robert Lassiter

I am former military and an independent. I am also having difficulty understanding how a person who portrays war heros in movies and on TV can be critical of the physical resolve of an actual healthy war hero. Fame does not equal brains.

178. Richard

Chuck, shut up already, support your man but why insult every senior American in the counrty! Dick Cheny surrvived 8 years. Richard

179. Rod

I know damn well McCain is too old to be president. I'm too old and I'm 67 years old. We don't need another old man who will be older than Ronald Reagan when he took office. You see what Reagan did for us. He is the one who started piling onto our National Debt and his friends, the two Bushes, did the same to where it is at over 9 trillion dollars. No, we don't need another old man running this country. And, where do you get off criticizing Chuck Norris for his opinions. You certainly have enough of them yourself.

180. Scott

Jack,
    Since the results of the last two elections seemed to prove that the slight majority of the voting public are gullible and ignorant, then Chuck Norris's decree of "Too Old" for McCain just may be all they (the republicans) need to hear...I got a nice bridge to sell 'em too.

181. Matt

Jack, I don't think that McCain is too old to be president, but I do think that he is too old to connect with most Americans. Chuck Norris has a small point - Mike Huckabee is younger and can connect better with voters. He brings to the Republican field what Barack Obama brings to the Democratic field: relative youth, and an ability to inspire Americans of all ages.

182. Joe Brook

McCain too old for president? Norris is a little too old for his tough guy status.

183. Cheryl Bynum

Are you kidding? I have seen teenagers who can't get off the couch! Age is a lot more than a number. It is about health, energy and motivation. McCain has most people half his age beat in these catagories. Look at his mother! She looks better than most women half her age and certainly is mentally alert and physically active. Really, Chuck Norris looks older than McCain!

184. Dan Wolfe

No... McCain's not too old. There are plenty of senior folks out there working, loving and laughing. But, McCain's demogogic attitude and love of big government are not practical. Ron Paul, at age 72, is the only real choice if we want a free country respected around the world.

185. Daniel Archiello

I have been a republican all my life.First, Mike Huckabee needs a surrogate speaker to attack McCain.Thats why Huckacide is a loser.Second,I think Norris should worry more about his total gym and his wig.How do you like it chuck ?

186. Jo

I don't think it makes an iota what age John McCain or any of the rest of the GOP'ers are – we are going to have a Democrat in the White House come 2009!...and by the way, Jack, you better remember that some of the networks got rid of the "old guys" like Dan Rather, Mike Wallace, et al...so keep talking, buddy!!

187. Sandra Weiland

Yes, I think he is too old to look towards 4 stressful years as president.

I know that it is difficult for us as we age (I, myself am over 60)to recognize that we are not as strong as we used to be.

Jack, get over it yourself; face facts; we are not as durable as we were 15-20 years ago, Age will continue to limit us.

188. Vickie Hoerl

Chuck Norris is only showing how much of an idiot he is by making such a narrow-minded statement. I'd challenge him to walk side-by-side with John McCain on the Campaign Trail and see if he could keep up with him. I'd rather have a man of John McCain's stamina, experience, intelligence and age as my President than someone in his 40s who "thinks" he's up to the challenge of running the country with no track record and was simply appointed to his Senetorial seat.
    Vickie Hoerl
    Overland Park, KS

189. Trenton Sims

I know one thing ..
    Or at least we all have been told ad-Nausium that "Billary" Clinton has had 35 years to accomplish everything that she now claims she is finally ready to get done.
    Mc Cain and Obama are just asking for a 4 year chance to do what "Billary" hasn't for 35 years .

I say why not..!?

190. John

I dont believe McCain is too old at all... Although I am voting for huckabee, I believe that if we have people living to their hundreds, McCain is only 72... whats 4 more years!

191. jdeb

Of course not. Age gathers experience and the knowledge of which people to surround yourself with, including a vice president. That's why I am voting for Ron Paul who is the same age, maybe a little older in fact.
    McCain's problem is not his age, but his rage.
    There are deep issues that this POW has not come to grips with. I would hate to have the man with his finger on the "button" harboring revenge issues.
    Think about it.
    Jay

192. Monique

I agree with Mr. Norris, 72 years old is too old in order to be president. He looks sickly. If people don't like senior citizens to drive on the road, why would you trust one to run America. Our country is in a delicate state we should have president who could handle this difficult challenges.

193. Julie

Last Christmas, my 72 year-old mother, a Korean war veteran, did a dance for us and ended with a split. She got up and lived to talk about, and experienced absolutely no pain afterwards, nor the next day. If my mother can do a split, McCain can run the country at 71. They don't build these olds folks like they used to!!

Julie

194. Ryan Gladding

Sometimes we could use someone a little older and wiser than us to run our country. Age should not be a factor in determining the next President. It is absurd to think that just because someone is in his low 70's means that he could die within the next year. I know many people who have lived much longer.

195. Jim

Chuck Norris is too old to be advertising/selling exercise equipment on TV.
    His muscles are sagging.

196. Don Murphy

All I can say is...I will need to know who his Vice President running mate is before I could ever consider voting for him...

197. Lance J. Gosnell

In response to mister "Walker Texas Ranger", I must say that John McCain appears to be the most viable choice for for the Republican Party and he is at the right age for the G.O.P. to be able to escape their tainted images. I think his age works in his favor not against as Huckabee's religious rhetoric appears to be.

Chuck's comments were a prime example of why we do not need celebrities endorsing candidates. I mean comes on what are the candidates saying. Vote for me because Walker endorses me, because Huckaboo has qualifications.

198. John Buck

Hi Jack

That phony strongman should only be a fraction of what John McCain is and will be. He should take his simple grinning face from behind Huckabee if he realy wants him to win.

199. Jennifer

Boy oh boy. I never thought much of Chuck Norris anyway, but Huckabee seems to be 52 going on 72 both because of his "Good Old boy" remarks and because of his appearance.

McCain seems much younger than his 71 years. As long as he stays on top of his skin cancer (my dad had it too and lived to age 84) I see McCain's age as no barrier. He'd be out of office at roughly age 80 and might still have a nice 20 year retirement.I don't necessarily agree with McCain about some other things (and am still scratching my head over Lieberman endorsing him) but his age is the most ridiculous argument against McCain that I can think of and I'm a lot younger than McCain.

If I had to go to dinner with Huckabee or McCain I'd pick McCain in a heartbeat though both of them are too old for me.

200. Stephen

In terms of John McCain’s numeric age, I disagree with Chuck Norris that he is too old to be an effective and competent president, however, in terms of John McCain’s visible age I personally believe that he looks too old and decrepit to gain the confidence needed from the American people to win the presidency.

It is a sad but true fact that in America, we as citizens value youth over experience and traditionally have voted accordingly over the last 30 years.

201. John Doe

In my opinion John McCain may be too old. I wouldn't take the chance to be honest. But then again I wouldn't vote for him like most of these people soley because he was a vet or a POW. What does any of that have to do with running a country? Go back into a military type of field. Everyone is entitiled to their opinion including Chuck Norris. What makes your opinion better? Are you worth 2 votes Jack?

202. Chris

Yes, McCain is older than dirt and if you don't believe me, just listen to his words.

I think it's a valid concern...but then if Huckabee is his VP then no worries.

-Chris

203. spredbury

I haven't decided who I'll vote for in November, not even which party, but I don't think McCain is too old to be president, I do think Norris needs to go back to catching the bad guys in the movies and Huckabee needs to go back to Arkansas. I'm tired of Norris telling me who to vote for and I'm definitely tired of Huckabee telling me that we need to change the constitution to agree wiith the bible.

204. Joan Corcoran

John McCain is NOT too old.. he has great genes (look at his mother!).. If something should happen he should choose Mike Huckabee for his VP just for insurance! JC

205. alfredo

It's not his age but his surrender to Bush. It was that infantile hug of Bush that turned me off. Can you say battered wife syndrome?

206. Bill Davis

Has any one noticed that Chuck Norris is pretty long in the tooth? I will gladly pay for Mr. McCain's mother to fly out and wash Chuck's mouth out with soap. And I'm a Democrat..

207. Abby

To steal a point from Martin Luther: better a sensible senior citizen than a young fool. Better an old man with experience and moderate viewpoints than a young religious radical who might live long enough to revoke our membership card to Western civilization.

208. George Gould

Too old? No, not too old.

Too much of a warmonger? Absolutely.

McCain has been making a killing off of his allegedly being a "war hero." McCain knows nothing about war. War involves being face to face with the men you are killing and who are trying to kill you. McCain knows about bombing innocent civilians from 30,000 feet and being a prisoner – that's all.

If you want to know about war, talk to Chuck Hagel or Jim Webb or Max Cleland. They know what war is all about. They also oppose Bush's mess in Iraq.